Sprint Q1 2014 Earnings

marioc21

It's just an anecdotal observation from my perch, but it seems as most of the hogs have moved (or planning to move) to T-Mobile. Hogs have been the biggest complainers of the Sprint network condition. Because they can't hog it fast enough. The network acts like an artificial data cap.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

That might explain why my service improved back to usable levels in late February as well as the flood of used Sprint devices on CL and other places.

I've noticed Sprints reputation has dropped even more around here too, funny how peoples opinions lag so far behind what's actually going on.

Also, I've actually seen some congestion on T-Mobile for the first time ever, recently.

I'm now listening to the recording of the earnings call.  For all those who were asking when Sprint was going to start advertising the Network, it looks like Sprint has already started.  They're using the tag line "America's Newest Network"  Hesse said they have started that campaign in 20 markets and will be expanding it further. 

I saw one of these commercials last night.  I am just waiting for the hamster (Andrew Dice Clay) to open up and drop a few f-bombs on big red and blue though... :censored:

I would be interested to understand what the average sprint data usage of the churning customers looks like. My fear is that it is lower than sprints typical metric. 

Very little data can be used, that seems to be what is not understand by the company.

I saw one of these commercials last night.  I am just waiting for the hamster (Andrew Dice Clay) to open up and drop a few f-bombs on big red and blue though... :censored:

A little creative editing and youtube could make that happen.... ;)

It's just an anecdotal observation from my perch, but it seems as most of the hogs have moved (or planning to move) to T-Mobile. Hogs have been the biggest complainers of the Sprint network condition. Because they can't hog it fast enough. The network acts like an artificial data cap.

I agree, the legacy network capped it self, i am a moderate data user, netflix sometimes, mostly music streaming, but on the old network i could still watch a movie on netflix sometimes a little low resolution but so what, its a phone right?  Its nice seeing "LTE" on my phone in most places now but if i could get a low ping with a steady download of 1mb or so it wouldnt matter to much to me what i was connected to. 

Investors seem to have love the earnings report. Expanding margins are huge for the carrier and good news for investors. I do think the delay in network vision 1.0 has hurt them and thus earnings report shows why nv 2.0 roll out needs to be very aggressive.

Investors seem to have love the earnings report. Expanding margins are huge for the carrier and good news for investors. I do think the delay in network vision 1.0 has hurt them and thus earnings report shows why nv 2.0 roll out needs to be very aggressive.

It has certainly not helped! However as you pointed out there are other positive signs. To use a bad analogy the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and closer (and it is not an oncoming train).

They need to revamp there hotspot plans like doing something that tmobile is doing and give people that have the 1gb or 3gb plan free hotspot data. I dont know why they have to pay more if they are not unlimited. They should give unlimited customers 500mb of free hotspot data also. Last is they should try and get more tablets because right now they have the worst selection of all carriers. No LG G Pad, no Nexus 7, no Galaxy note 10.1, none of the new pro tablets and none of the new nokia or windows tabs in general. They basically only have ipads and old galaxy tabs. Triband tablets are also a dream right now. I sold my tab 3 because my phone would out perform it due to the lack of triband.

Totally agree. Both the Hotspots plan and the selection of tablets are totally small compared to other carriers. Except for a slightly stronger signal from the Hotspot device, I really do not see the need to get one (or continue to use one) and instead just enable the hotspot feature on my phone. If they were to give customers an incentive (more data at a lower price) on hotspots then it may be worth getting one. After my current contract expires at the end of the month, I'll just enable the feature on my phone. 

As for tablets, I don't see why they can't offer more LTE/sparks enabled tablets. Shoot, I remember when they use to sell laptops (i still have mine, although it is Wimax). 

• Like 1

To use a bad analogy the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter and closer (and it is not an oncoming train).

Let us just hope that it is not John Legere holding a spotlight and cackling like The Joker.

AJ

• Like 2

Man... I can't wait until they start advertising "America's Newest Network" here. Surely it can't be that far away....right...?

I want to say they already have.

Man... I can't wait until they start advertising "America's Newest Network" here. Surely it can't be that far away....right...?

Pay attention next time you see one those goofy Framily commercials with the hamster.  You might see it or hear it as part of the voice over at the end.  I saw one them on TV last night. 

This was the one:

http://youtu.be/y5NxDC-O6CQ

Sprint will report it's earnings for Q1 of 2014 tomorrow morning. The earnings call will be at 8am ET.

If you'd like to listen the audio will be available here:

http://investors.sprint.com/calendar.aspx?iid=4057219

Well, results are out. Smaller net loss than expected. But postpaid losses were 231,000 subs while prepaids were a loss of 364,000. Not great.

Here's the press release.

http://bit.ly/1h9ux4t

Do you expect there to be any immediate changes from management due to the con't subscriber churn?

I still don't know what they're doing with the 900MHz spectrum. I know the plan is to form a 3MHz LTE band in that spectrum, but do they really want another little sliver in yet another band? Can they make a deal to move Solinc+others to 900Mhz and have full use of the 7MHz spectrum throughout the country minus IBEZ? Or swap their holdings in the 900Mhz band for 800Mhz spectrum and reband to give themselves 10Mhz in the SMR band? I know it will take a while to do that, but the 900Mhz band will also take a long time to implement. Or even sell their holding in the 900MHz band?

I think the 900 MHz band is included in Band 26. So, assuming that is correct, then Sprint wouldn't need to seed new phones to customers that already have Band 26 capable devices.

-Anthony

I think the 900 MHz band is included in Band 26. So, assuming that is correct, then Sprint wouldn't need to seed new phones to customers that already have Band 26 capable devices.

-Anthony

Nope. It's included in 3GPP2 Band Class 10, but not LTE Band 26.

• Like 1

-Anthony

The 900 MHz band is NOT included in B26.  B26 only covers 814-849 MHz and 862-897 MHz

• Like 1

Pay attention next time you see one those goofy Framily commercials with the hamster. You might see it or hear it as part of the voice over at the end. I saw one them on TV last night.

This was the one:

They gave up on my market so I doubt I'll ever see a commercial for sprint.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

I still don't know what they're doing with the 900MHz spectrum. I know the plan is to form a 3MHz LTE band in that spectrum, but do they really want another little sliver in yet another band? Can they make a deal to move Solinc+others to 900Mhz and have full use of the 7MHz spectrum throughout the country minus IBEZ? Or swap their holdings in the 900Mhz band for 800Mhz spectrum and reband to give themselves 10Mhz in the SMR band? I know it will take a while to do that, but the 900Mhz band will also take a long time to implement. Or even sell their holding in the 900MHz band?

It will almost assuredly be a key part of their VoLTE deployment. It really wouldn't be useful for much else.

• Like 1

Who holds the rest of b26? Is it slipt up or does the government own a lot of it?

The rest of band 26 is the Cellular band so in most cases AT&T and VZW hold it.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Although it's not something I commonly tout, I am paying $50 per month less for 4 lines on AT&T than I did with Sprint. Granted my phones are not subsidized and I have a data cap. But it does go to show how much AT&T has lowered pricing. The same plan a year ago would have cost me $50 more per month than Sprint.

Sprint has already played the price game and gotten bad press and lost customers when they tried to correct the price issue so I do not think they will go much lower then they are right now. However, they can certainly add value to their plans. Free hotspot comes to mind. They should also enter into agreements with other companies like GOGO for wifi coverage. Heck, maybe even purchase gogo  In fact, the only thing that ATT customers have that makes me jealous is AT&T's wifi network.

Sprint has already played the price game and gotten bad press and lost customers when they tried to correct the price issue so I do not think they will go much lower then they are right now. However, they can certainly add value to their plans. Free hotspot comes to mind. They should also enter into agreements with other companies like GOGO for wifi coverage. Heck, maybe even purchase gogo  In fact, the only thing that ATT customers have that makes me jealous is AT&T's wifi network.

Nothing like sharing a single T1 line with 20 other people.

• Like 6