Google Hangouts w/Voice (Was Google Voice)

COZisBack

I'm still going to try it for a while and see how it goes. I do have a question though. Since sms now goes over the data channel only, what happens when you are in a 1x area (native or roaming)? Will the sms just not go through? If so, I guess when I go to an area like that, is it best to disable the integration?

Sent from my Note 4.

If you have no data connectivity and choose to send by Google Voice in Hangouts, the message will not send and it will say message not sent, touch to retry. If that happens, you can easily toggle it to send via regular SMS instead.

However, data does work while only connected to 1x, roaming data needs to be enabled obviously if you aren't in native coverage. 1x data is slow, but I rarely have trouble sending Google Voice messages while on it (native or roaming).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I agree with you on the GVoice website front, as simple as it is, it does the job well enough for the most part, and if Google would have made somewhat of an effort to improve on it, it could have been something truly special. 

But what we have now on hangouts is improving everyday, it does allow you to send through SMS protocol or Google Voice integration (Data)

Also, it is backing up all conversations on Gmail cloud in the chat section, so you can reference back to any conversation, in a cumbersome way, but you can.

Is this solution better than Google voice!? probably not, but I can see what Google was going for integrating Gvoice together with Gtalk IM  as a one stop shop.

If they continue to improve on it like they have, I fully expect it to work well enough to finally be a proper G Voice and G Talk replacement.

It really has improved massively since it was first introduced, but so far its a jack of all trades, and most definitely a master of none.

Also, would like to add, hangouts dialer is GREAT, especially if you have full integration, you can make and receive calls from your Sprint number, basically VoLTE, handy when you need data and voice at the same time. 

Since last update this feature works really well, even if your phone dropped to 1x for the CDMA call, you can cancel the CDMA call and the Hangouts call can take over, pretty slick!

• Like 1

Also, would like to add, hangouts dialer is GREAT, especially if you have full integration, you can make and receive calls from your Sprint number, basically VoLTE, handy when you need data and voice at the same time.

Since last update this feature works really well, even if your phone dropped to 1x for the CDMA call, you can cancel the CDMA call and the Hangouts call can take over, pretty slick!

It does a seamless handoff? That is pretty slick.

In the recent past, Hangouts/Voice integration used a link to send MMS images instead of sending the image directly over the network. Has that been fixed?

Yes.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

What about receiving MMS in Hangouts, from Sprint w/full integration? Last time I tested, all incoming MMS still go to my Sprint phone, not my forwarded phones using Hangouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about receiving MMS in Hangouts, from Sprint w/full integration? Last time I tested, all incoming MMS still go to my Sprint phone, not my forwarded phones using Hangouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It still works that way unfortunately.

I wonder if the google mvno will make all of these data network vs CDMA texting, calling on data vs CDMA, etc confusions and issues go away with a truly seem less experience... Would be nice. Suppose it would take some coding on googles part to determine optimum network transport method at any given moment.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If I try to send MMS via google voice to my sisters sprint phone I get a SMS reply about incorrect country code and the message never sends. If I change it to send via carrier number it will go through just fine. I can send MMS via google voice to my friends at&t phone and it will go through, also works sending to a Verizon number. I called customer care and they had no idea and suggested I contact Google. Has any of you ever had this happen?uploadfromtaptalk1426701004703.png

If I try to send MMS via google voice to my sisters sprint phone I get a SMS reply about incorrect country code and the message never sends. If I change it to send via carrier number it will go through just fine. I can send MMS via google voice to my friends at&t phone and it will go through. I called customer care and they had no idea and suggested I contact Google. Has any of you ever had this happen?attachicon.gifScreenshot_2015-03-18-13-46-47.png

Yeah, I've had that happen.  It seems to only occur with people that have GV integrated - certainly I've only had it occur with other sprint customers.

MMS to other carriers seems to work fine.  Quite annoying that the one part that should work, doesn't.

Yeah, I've had that happen. It seems to only occur with people that have GV integrated - certainly I've only had it occur with other sprint customers.

MMS to other carriers seems to work fine. Quite annoying that the one part that should work, doesn't.

Neither my sister or friend on Sprint is integrated, just me. First time I saw this was Saturday, I wonder if 5.1 broke something.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Neither my sister or friend on Sprint is integrated, just me. First time I saw this was Saturday, I wonder if 5.1 broke something.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

I've had it happen quite a few times for a while, although it's primarily been with my wife who is also integrated. Outside of that, I rarely have run into issues (although I don't often MMS to sprint non-integrated folks)

Hey so is gvoice and sprint integration fixed? Does it still send a million text messages over and over again?

Does it still work when your sprint number is your google voice number and you integrate into hangouts?

(I read it works when you integrate with your google number replacing sprint and integrate into hangouts)

I have my Sprint # integrated. I did it about 2 weeks ago. Everything works just fine. Text msgs show up on all my android devices and I can text from my tablet or computer. I can also call from Hangouts using my Sprint #, which is pretty cool. Same for my tablet and computer. I can also receive calls on my tablet and computer.

There's only one thing that I hope they may fix at some point. MMS msgs only go to my phone, and don't come through to all my devices. That would make it perfect.

Sent from my Note 4.

• Like 2

I have my Sprint # integrated. I did it about 2 weeks ago. Everything works just fine. Text msgs show up on all my android devices and I can text from my tablet or computer. I can also call from Hangouts using my Sprint #, which is pretty cool. Same for my tablet and computer. I can also receive calls on my tablet and computer.

There's only one thing that I hope they may fix at some point. MMS msgs only go to my phone, and don't come through to all my devices. That would make it perfect.

Sent from my Note 4.

Hey thanks so much, I'll integrate and check it out!!
  • Like 1

Hey thanks so much, I'll integrate and check it out!!

No problem, just make sure you go into the settings and set it up how you want it. There's quite a few options on the Google voice website.

Sent from my Note 4.

Group mms will only go to your phone, not through gvoice/hangouts. The same goes for sending. You can't send mms from gvoice/hangouts.

Sent from my Note 4.

awesome, working good so far. One thing though.  Under hangouts settings-->SMS-->"Default SMS Messaging Account" did you set it to SMS or to your google email?

When set to SMS it shows all my old texts, but don't want issues

awesome, working good so far. One thing though. Under hangouts settings-->SMS-->"Default SMS Messaging Account" did you set it to SMS or to your google email?

When set to SMS it shows all my old texts, but don't want issues

I have mine set to sms. If I remember, it acted weird when I had it the other way.

Sent from my Note 4.

I have mine set to sms. If I remember, it acted weird when I had it the other way.

Sent from my Note 4.

awesome, thanks so much, I think that must be the change.  I'll leave google messenger installed for group mms.  MMS seems to be working over googlevoice integration to my GF (Verizon iphone).  Shows up on my tablet, pc etc...awesome

Thanks!!!