Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

But you didn't have to call to reactivate or anything correct?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

For T mobile no....not at all, the process is alot less painful on GSM, on sprint not so much. As soon as I popped the T mobile sim in, it instantly switched networks to T mobile. 

Edited by nexgencpu

For T mobile no....not at all, the process is alot less painful on full GSM, on sprint not so much. As soon as I popped the T mobile sim in, it instantly switched networks to T mobile.

That is what I am asking. Can you please describe in detail on how you switch from T-Mobile, back to sprint?

Is it just put the sprint sim back in and select sprint from the networks menu or is it more involved than that?

That is what I am asking. Can you please describe in detail on how you switch from T-Mobile, back to sprint?

Is it just put the sprint sim back in and select sprint from the networks menu or is it more involved than that?

No, it should not be more involved -- as long as the Sprint device is first tied to your account.  Popping in a T-Mobile SIM does effectively the same thing as powering down before hopping a plane.  It temporarily removes your registration from your Sprint HLR/VLR while your device is unavailable.

AJ

• Like 3

No, it should not be more involved -- as long as the Sprint device is first tied to your account.  Popping in a T-Mobile SIM does effectively the same thing as powering down before hopping a plane.  It temporarily removes your registration from your Sprint HLR/VLR while your device is unavailable.

AJ

It's just that simple, just swap sim cards. The only complication is leaving the nexus to another device due to the fact that they have to activate via the MEI.

I know this is only so awesome because it's so foreign to us Sprint users, but man is it awesome.

Thanks for the info!  :tu:

• Like 4

It's just that simple, just swap sim cards. The only complication is leaving the nexus to another device due to the fact that they have to activate via the MEI.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Mine is set to arrive tomorrow. I ordered a 32GB. hope there are no issues.

I went to my local sprint store and the girl told me they haven't even received the training materials for the phone. When I asked her about the SIMs she told me they don't carry any, not even to replace the ones in the iPhone.

Something tells me that activation is not going to be easy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Mine is set to arrive tomorrow. I ordered a 32GB. hope there are no issues.

I went to my local sprint store and the girl told me they haven't even received the training materials for the phone. When I asked her about the SIMs she told me they don't carry any, not even to replace the ones in the iPhone.

Something tells me that activation is not going to be easy.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yes, I am getting more worried by the minute. Check out this thread:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/pWGKq9bZfB4%5B1-25-true%5D

Yeah, this is possibly one of the most ridiculous things I've ever experienced. I'm stuck with a 32gb model that I can't activate, and Sprint is more than happy to tell me to return the device to Google because the "lied" to me.

Why don't everyone shut up and stop complaining about all the misinformation that's out there. Sprint has not even begun officially selling the phone and early adopters should not expect service til the 8th.
Until the 8th comes and go, everything one hears is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SPH-D710

• Like 7

I echo lilotimz's sentiments when I say that we seem to have a lot of Verucas in this thread.  Well, for those people who must have it right away, we have a video...

Additionally, I want to reiterate my post from the prior Nexus 5 thread:

I want to caution people against bugging customer care too much or going apeshit over the SIM concern.  Let it all play out.  The Nexus 5 may be shipped with a SIM that you can use.  Regardless, you will be able to activate the handset on Sprint, but you may need to exercise some patience.

This is the first cash and carry, unlocked Sprint handset in many years.  Do not raise a ruckus and make Sprint question the decision to run with Google on this one.  Like VZW, Sprint can just as easily decide to sit this one out next time.  Then, we are back to the safe, easy to manage "walled garden" of devices.

Until Friday at least, have some patience.  If you have none, then take it elsewhere -- to AT&T or T-Mobile.  We will not miss your attitude.

AJ

• Like 9

Why don't everyone shut up and stop complaining about all the misinformation that's out there. Sprint has not even begun officially selling the phone and early adopters should not expect service til the 8th.

Until the 8th comes and go, everything one hears is to be taken with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SPH-D710

I think we need to all calm down a bit and realize this is a major shift in normal Sprint operations.  The road will be bumpy at first.  I am sure Sprint was focused on the 16GB version as this is what they are selling.  We all have two weeks to return the phone if Sprint can't get their act together for the 32GB model.  Lets have some patience and see how things progress this week.  Mine is due to show up tomorrow and I am really looking forward to activating it, but that might not happen right away. Anyone who ordered the phone from the Play store and thought that this would go perfect was fooling themselves.  Every one of us was nervous, wondering if it would really work.  Deep breath.. its only a phone.

• Like 2

Until Friday at least, have some patience. If you have none, then take it elsewhere -- to AT&T or T-Mobile. We will not miss your attitude.

AJ

For a sec there I was confused as to who had the attitude.

• Like 2

For a sec there I was confused as to who had the attitude.

Yes, I believe you mean "as to whom," math professor.  But I, too, do have an attitude -- as it pertains to the negators on this site.  Go away.  Find greener pastures.  Good luck.

AJ

• Like 1

Yes, I believe you mean "as to whom," math professor. But I, too, do have an attitude -- as it pertains to the negators on this site. Go away. Find greener pastures. Good luck.

AJ

AJ, AJ... First, thanks for the grammar lesson :-)

Second, you take a shot at everyone so I know you can handle some poking back.

And lastly, it must be obvious to you that you have an attitude with everyone. A little reminder shouldn't bother

• Like 2

Just from dealing with Sprint on the past - getting the information to the people that can actually fix stuff takes a few people speaking up.

Sprint's launch date is somewhat a moot point.  They are only launching the 16GB version and those devices work just fine on Sprint already.

The two issues are:

1) Sprint employees likely do not know that they have a SIM they can give customers - they likely think they need a special Nexus 5 SIM - this is easily overcome.

2) Sprint is, without question, having MEID problems with the 32GB Nexus 5.  This is overcome by more than a handful of people with 32GB Nexus 5's raising their hand and getting the attention of Sprint to escalate (which has been done).

At this point, we just need people who have issues to message RLCOLLECTOR68 on the sprint forums with your IMEI/MEID and phone number if you are unable to activate.  The more people that msg, the more info they have to fix the issue.

https://community.sprint.com/baw/people/RLCOLLECTOR68

Complaining and taking action to resolve the issue (which benefits the entire sprint community) are two different things.

• Like 9

I suspect the trouble with 32GB activations can be solved by making support inquiries with Google.  From the Google Product Forums thread on this matter it seems as though the number of calls they're receiving about this problem has already prompted the issue to be taken higher up the corporate food chain.  All that really needs to happen is a Google exec needs to tell a Sprint exec to have the MEID added to their database and this will all be done.  The more people who contact Google, the faster this is likely to occur.

Edited by Devin

My 32gb Black model showed up on my doorstep when I got home. Activating on T-Mobile was easy: just popped out the SIM from the Nexus 4, put it in the Nexus 5, and started the phone. It asked for WiFi info, then it decided to download a 125 MB update. Pretty standard setup process.

This is pretty awesome; here's what shows up under "Available networks" with my T-Mobile SIM from the Nexus 4 installed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3zakqx1u690g5nn/2013-11-05%2000.20.33.png

One of these things is not like the others... I wonder what it'll do if I tell it to connect to Sprint?

No evidence of LTE right here (not particularly surprising, although there is apparently some T-Mobile LTE around Macon and I live in a HSPA+ area where LTE was/is supposedly an "easy upgrade"); I'll drive around a bit this evening and see if I can get it to connect to LTE somewhere Sensorly shows T-Mobile purple.

Got tracking info for my Sprint SIM today; not showing an ETA yet but UPS Ground from Lexington to Macon is allegedly two days. Hopefully by then the MEID issues will be fixed and I'll be able to activate online, put the SIM back in the Nexus 4, and put my Evo out of its misery.

• Like 2