Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Same here. The 'artificial inflation' of the dBm level on .15 allows me to keeps LTE in areas steady and constant receiving 5-12mbs down where I'd otherwise be getting fringe 3g and pulling 50kbs if I'm lucky.

Same here as well. The dBm "may" be inflated but the effects of having a stronger signal reading are real.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Same here as well. The dBm "may" be inflated but the effects of having a stronger signal reading are real.

Here's to hoping the official L release radio is as good as .15 without the inflation. Then this phone would be getting into tablet quality rf performance lol.

anyone know how to disable band 25 and just use band 26?

Not going to ever happen. Sprint will never ever let anyone purposely and permanent camp band 26.

There's a reason band 25 is permanently coded to stay active on every single triband device.

Not going to ever happen. Sprint will never ever let anyone purposely and permanent camp band 26.

There's a reason band 25 is permanently coded to stay active on every single triband device.

That's a bummer.  We need a custom N5 radio that blows Band 25 to pieces.

Not fun going from 10mbit down/6mbit up to unusable at the discretion of sprint.

It's not "may," it is inflated. That is a fact.

I've never used this as a reason to not use the radio, just to be aware that it will improperly report your signal to the network, and you may not get moved around on bands properly. You may also end up on fringe LTE that is useless. With Band 26, there aren't a whole lot of people on it yet, so that helps with the fringe performance.

That's a bummer.  We need a custom N5 radio that blows Band 25 to pieces.

If you need to be on Band 26, be it congestion or low signal, you will be. Otherwise, you will camp on Band 25 to make sure that there are slots open on Band 26 for those who need it. If everyone tried to camp on Band 26, it would fall just as fast as Band 25 did.

If you need to be on Band 26, be it congestion or low signal, you will be. Otherwise, you will camp on Band 25 to make sure that there are slots open on Band 26 for those who need it. If everyone tried to camp on Band 26, it would fall just as fast as Band 25 did.

That sounds all well and good but it doesn't work like that in Boston.

If I toggle airplane mode, I can catch band 26.  Then it falls to band 25, then the signal bounces around (the phone is sitting in the same spot on my desk).

Then eventually, it falls to 3G and just camps there.

I figure they are still tweaking the system, so I'll keep monitoring.

Boston desperately needs the extra capacity, so I am hopeful a few more towers fire up with Band 26 and really improve things here.

Either way, it's impressive that Band 25 was never a super strong signal while band 26 is VERY solid when I'm on it.

So same serving cell we are talking about a -15dBm improvement in RSRP numbers.

-96 to -99 dBm RSRP on band 26

-111 to -113  dBm RSP on Band 25 

Both are marked as having the same serving cell of 296

Very interesting info.  Very good to know that in urban environment, Band 26 will get you an extra 15dBm of signal.

That sounds all well and good but it doesn't work like that in Boston.

If I toggle airplane mode, I can catch band 26.  Then it falls to band 25, then the signal bounces around (the phone is sitting in the same spot on my desk).

That may be a product of the Nexus 5 as much as anything else. It can be a great pure RF performer, but it seems almost an experimental tri band handset.  Later tri band handsets seem to be more stable.  Plus, they may be optimized solely for Sprint.

Previously, you could have opened the internal Testing.apk, entered the Phone info screen, entered the Select radio band sub menu, then selected Secondary 800 MHz.  That should have forced band class 10 CDMA1X 800 and might have forced band 26 LTE 800 -- albeit at the expense of automatic band selection, both native and roaming, until a factory reset.  However, that potentially problematic capability was blocked in Android by the time the Nexus 5 was released last year.

So same serving cell we are talking about a -15dBm improvement in RSRP numbers.

Yep, that is what I have been saying. Free space path loss difference between 800 MHz and 1900 MHz is 7 dB.  But real world difference tends closer to 10-15 dB.

AJ

• Like 1

That may be a product of the Nexus 5 as much as anything else. It can be a great pure RF performer, but it seems almost an experimental tri band handset.  Later tri band handsets seem to be more stable.  Plus, they may be optimized solely for Sprint.

Yep, that is what I have been saying. Free space path loss difference between 800 MHz and 1900 MHz is 7 dB.  But real world difference tends closer to 10-15 dB.

AJ

Another thing I just noticed - I can flip between two Serving cells (296 and 465) at my desk.  

If I am on serving cell 465, it refuses to switch to band 26 when attempting to run a speedtest.  Serving cell 465 is just so overloaded and the signal is so weak (-112 dBm or so) that it's just not usable and speedtest is unable to even complete a test.

On 296, it idles on band 25, it then drops to band 26 when I start a speedtest, then goes back to idling on band 25 (this seems to be the normal protocol).

If I fall to 3G (which happens eventually), then any chance of moving towards the wonderful land of Band 26 goes away.

It's a great start, I really think everyone should idle on Band 26 and move to Band 25 if capacity/signal is available.

Another thing I just noticed - I can flip between two Serving cells (296 and 465) at my desk.  

If I am on serving cell 465, it refuses to switch to band 26 when attempting to run a speedtest.  Serving cell 465 is just so overloaded and the signal is so weak (-112 dBm or so) that it's just not usable and speedtest is unable to even complete a test.

On 296, it idles on band 25, it then drops to band 26 when I start a speedtest, then goes back to idling on band 25 (this seems to be the normal protocol).

If I fall to 3G (which happens eventually), then any chance of moving towards the wonderful land of Band 26 goes away.

It's a great start, I really think everyone should idle on Band 26 and move to Band 25 if capacity/signal is available.

It sounds like site with serving cell 465 may not have Band 26 enabled, or configured properly yet. Which may account for your dropping to 3G. I have noticed that if I hit -120dBm on either Band 26 or 25, I get dropped to 3G, without even checking if Band 26 is available (which is always is in Kansas City). This is new with the .16 radio. 

It sounds like site with serving cell 465 may not have Band 26 enabled, or configured properly yet. Which may account for your dropping to 3G. I have noticed that if I hit -120dBm on either Band 26 or 25, I get dropped to 3G, without even checking if Band 26 is available (which is always is in Kansas City). This is new with the .16 radio. 

Yeah, that's what I figured.

I hope that they fix a lot of these bugs as devices/network mature.  No reason to keep a phone on 3G when Band 26 signal is sufficient and Band 25 is not.

B41 is hard to come by every time I've been through Dallas, even next to sites that should be live with clear b41. I think maybe they might be shutting some sites off in prep for Nokia.

Bingo. I occasionally work 3 miles from downtown. Phone can get stuck in 3G. I was on I20 at a restaurant with max bars. I know the tower was near by. Stuck in 3G. (Disabling band 41 fixes this, i.e. handicap the phone.)

DFW is capable and you could say "ready" by a stretch, but it's not tri-band active.

I just want to be able to have a phone that correctly jumps to LTE when available and not have to worry about radio driver versions, signal monitoring programs, enabling/disabling bands, and learning a host of acronyms. And, I can't leave out being able to make and receive phone calls. It would be great if it worked this way nationwide, but in the metroplex where I live would be a great start.

I hope I am not being too demanding Sprint or Google or whoever else is responsible for the ghosts in the machine.

• Like 6

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/07/15/android-kitkat-mr2-2-aka-4-4-4_r2-ota-update-rolling-out-to-nexus-5-build-number-ktu84q-now-pushing-to-aosp/

For now, we're seeing a new radio package and build number, but not much else in this update.[/size]

hmm, from factory images page

4.4.4 Release 2 (For 2Degrees/NZ, Telsta/AUS and India ONLY) (KTU84Q)

Edited by dedub

Another radio to play around with:D. This one should be interesting since it's an international only update.

Bingo. I occasionally work 3 miles from downtown. Phone can get stuck in 3G. I was on I20 at a restaurant with max bars. I know the tower was near by. Stuck in 3G. (Disabling band 41 fixes this, i.e. handicap the phone.)

DFW is capable and you could say "ready" by a stretch, but it's not tri-band active.

I just want to be able to have a phone that correctly jumps to LTE when available and not have to worry about radio driver versions, signal monitoring programs, enabling/disabling bands, and learning a host of acronyms. And, I can't leave out being able to make and receive phone calls. It would be great if it worked this way nationwide, but in the metroplex where I live would be a great start.

I hope I am not being too demanding Sprint or Google or whoever else is responsible for the ghosts in the machine.

Strange that your having issues because here in the STL market with N5, handoffs between bands and from 3G to LTE are excellent. Just keep on the latest radio and you should be fine.

Strange that your having issues because here in the STL market with N5, handoffs between bands and from 3G to LTE are excellent. Just keep on the latest radio and you should be fine.

Not quite EvanA.  I'm still regularly experiencing 3G to LTE handoff issues while driving I44 to and from St. Louis and around Springfield.  I often find myself using the reset mobile radio in SCP to switch to LTE.

I would not call 3g to lte handoffs excellent, my n5 in stl will often stay stuck on 3g for long periods of time unless I manually airplane mode to force it to lte.

Interband LTE handoffs I would say are pretty excellent as such, however there are still major issues with getting and staying connected with b41, in my experience and normal locations.

Side by side comparisons with my htc m8 indicate the n5 is far less consistent in connecting and maintaining b41 than the m8.

Whether this is caused by the current state of clear converted b41 locations/configurations or a deficit of the nexus 5 is up to debate.

In my opinion/observation, the n5 has 2 issues;

- LTE scan interval is too long and will not connect from 3g to LTE unless completely idle (network wise) for a long time.

- b41 sensitivity and/or priority needs more work, at my work and home locations I will occasionally automatically connect to b41 @ ~115 to -105 and get good speeds, however it will often switch back from b41, to b25 because b25 is around -95 to -100.

I can be checking facebook while on b41, and watch the signal as it drops b41 and goes to the more congested, but slightly stronger 25.

All I know for certain is, my m8 performs worlds better on b41 in stl than my n5.

Edited by dedub
  • Like 1

Not quite EvanA. I'm still regularly experiencing 3G to LTE handoff issues while driving I44 to and from St. Louis and around Springfield. I often find myself using the reset mobile radio in SCP to switch to LTE.

I would not call 3g to lte handoffs excellent, my n5 in stl will often stay stuck on 3g for long periods of time unless I manually airplane mode to force it to lte.

Interband LTE handoffs I would say are pretty excellent as such, however there are still major issues with getting and staying connected with b41, in my experience and normal locations.

Side by side comparisons with my htc m8 indicate the n5 is far less consistent in connecting and maintaining b41 than the m8.

Whether this is caused by the current state of clear converted b41 locations/configurations or a deficit of the nexus 5 is up to debate.

In my opinion/observation, the n5 has 2 issues;

- LTE scan interval is too long and will not connect from 3g to LTE unless completely idle (network wise) for a long time.

- b41 sensitivity and/or priority needs more work, at my work and home locations I will occasionally automatically connect to b41 @ ~115 to -105 and get good speeds, however it will often switch back from b41, to b25 because b25 is around -95 to -100.

I can be checking facebook while on b41, and watch the signal as it drops b41 and goes to the more congested, but slightly stronger 25.

All I know for certain is, my m8 performs worlds better on b41 in stl than my n5.

My last three trips to KC the N5 performed great. No issues switching between bands, no issues dropping to 3G.

Sent from my LG G3

Not quite EvanA.  I'm still regularly experiencing 3G to LTE handoff issues while driving I44 to and from St. Louis and around Springfield.  I often find myself using the reset mobile radio in SCP to switch to LTE.

I was actually travelling down 44 between Bourbon and downtown this past weekend and noticed 3G drops, but it's not due handoff issues.  The issue in some spots is non-LTE towers and lack of B26 to fill B25 gaps.  This is especially noticeable in the hilly areas where b25 just won't cut it.

I was actually travelling down 44 between Bourbon and downtown this past weekend and noticed 3G drops, but it's not due handoff issues.  The issue in some spots is non-LTE towers and lack of B26 to fill B25 gaps.  This is especially noticeable in the hilly areas where b25 just won't cut it.

I'm not sure 44 will be sufficiently covered without additional towers. The terrain just doesn't allow it.

• Like 1

I was actually travelling down 44 between Bourbon and downtown this past weekend and noticed 3G drops, but it's not due handoff issues. The issue in some spots is non-LTE towers and lack of B26 to fill B25 gaps. This is especially noticeable in the hilly areas where b25 just won't cut it.

I'm not talking about 3G drops but staying on 3G long after I'm in an area with known good LTE.

• Like 3

I'm not sure 44 will be sufficiently covered without additional towers. The terrain just doesn't allow it.

Yep. We have both mentioned this in the past. I was hoping that B26 would help or take care of this though. Unless the towers haven't been properly adjusted for 26 the range and penetration seems pretty bad.