Google Nexus 5 by LG Users Thread!

nexgencpu

Since the users thread is now open, if you would like to post specific instructions, feel free to do so.  Thanks.

AJ

well mine is not here, but I assume it should be the same as any other nexus device;

- setup android sdk/ADB

- enable USB debug on the device

- plug device into PC and authorize it for debug access

- open a command prompt with adb 

- type adb reboot bootloader

- wait for reboot

- type fastboot oem unlock

- select YES and press power

- wait for factory default (erases ALL data)

https://www.google.com/#q=unlock%20nexus%20bootloader&safe=off

What's the significance of GCI and PCI?

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

They are two different ways of telling what LTE sector you are connected to. By documenting all of the numbers we can tell where any given LTE connection is coming from.

• Like 3

Mine just got here.  My SIM arrives tomorrow.  I guess, since i have a 32gb model, it doesn't matter much... WIFI only for me for now...

Everyone seems to be saying that without the SIM, the N5 is a Wi-Fi only device. But people also seem to be saying that the N5 needs the SIM to access Sprint's LTE network. But what about good old CDMA? I'm getting my nexus tomorrow and my SIM in "3-5 business days," but I figured I'd still be able to use my nexus until then. Am I wrong?

Everyone seems to be saying that without the SIM, the N5 is a Wi-Fi only device. But people also seem to be saying that the N5 needs the SIM to access Sprint's LTE network. But what about good old CDMA? I'm getting my nexus tomorrow and my SIM in "3-5 business days," but I figured I'd still be able to use my nexus until then. Am I wrong?

Well... there's also the point about the 32gb version isn't in the Sprint database, so activation isn't possible for these even with a correct SIM...

I see that we can get both the GCI and PCI just like the G2! Now I am very excited!

nexgencpu posted the Signal Check screenshot in the prior Nexus 5 thread.  It displays LTE but not CDMA1X signal metrics.  However, I am curious if the handset was actually CDMA2000 active at the time.

AJ

Check this out. Roaming on Verizon just by putting the active Zing hotspot micro SIM in my Nexus 5!

uploadfromtaptalk1383600562284.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 9

nexgencpu posted the Signal Check screenshot in the prior Nexus 5 thread.  It displays LTE but not CDMA1X signal metrics.  However, I am curious if the handset was actually CDMA2000 active at the time.

AJ

The G2 was also not showing CDMA signals while connected to LTE. Perhaps an LG issue?

The G2 was also not showing CDMA signals while connected to LTE. Perhaps an LG issue?

It's using different API. LG has it programmed to display highest level of data signal strength rather than voice and this likely affects the way Signalcheck pulls the numbers.

Check this out. Roaming on Verizon just by putting the active Zing hotspot micro SIM in my Nexus 5!

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1383600562284.jpg

Nice.

I've been wondering if we would be able to take a nexus sim and put in a zing.

Dialer codes work on Sprint SIM, but not on ATT SIM

uploadfromtaptalk1383600815372.jpg*#*#4636#*#*

uploadfromtaptalk1383600858298.jpg*#*#DATA#*#*

uploadfromtaptalk1383600891686.jpg*#*#DEBUG#*#*

• Like 10

Dialer codes work on Sprint SIM, but not on ATT SIM

Again, ladies and gentleman, Randall Stephenson...

Mr-Burns-Saying-Excellent.gif

AJ

• Like 3

As was stated in the other thread, Sprint treats these SIMs like they're made of platinum.

Stopped at a couple of stores, one told me that he wouldn't look to see that they had them unless I agreed to the minimum $50 (!!!!!) fee if they have them and I wanted to take it home with me.  The other claimed they only had iphone sims.  So, when I get mine, I'm not sure what to do.

I get the whole waiting til launch, being patient thing, but it's so mind bogglingly frustrating to have to do that.  There's literally no reason this training and information shouldn't be out there 4 days before official Sprint launch even.

Pretty awesome though the information that we're getting from you guys already.  Will be interesting to see how swapping sims back and forth works for Robert, and that the dialer codes work for Sprint.  Wasn't really expecting that.

Edit:  Tried worldwide, and they weren't able to get it ordered for me either.

It says Digital Roaming. I still have not activated with Sprint. Only installed a valid Sprint SIM card.

uploadfromtaptalk1383601409913.jpg

It'll work on Verizon's 3g/1x, but not their 4G network.

It probably will work on Verizon AWS LTE network.  Just not on 750MHz.

Robert

It probably will. Just not on LTE 750.

Robert

Multiple individuals have already tried active Verizon lte Sims on Nexus 5s to no avail. The VZ network will not authenticate and give access.

Sent from my SPH-D710

• Like 1