Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

How about B26 performance? Since in theory if the B25 is weak, it'll switch over to the B26 when needed. Anyone in a B26 area have information about it?

I do in the location I am at right now.

It does hand off but B26 isn't a huge signal boost.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Does the fact that there is no SVDO or SVLTE bother anyone?

I mean.. voice and data at the same time, I really got used to it, but I think I'll be sending my GS5 back before I even open the box now that I found that out. Makes me really sad, I was really looking forward to this device.

:(

Does the fact that there is no SVDO or SVLTE bother anyone?

I mean.. voice and data at the same time, I really got used to it, but I think I'll be sending my GS5 back before I even open the box now that I found that out. Makes me really sad, I was really looking forward to this device.

:(

Why would we be bothered? 

This site has known of the fact and the reasons for no SVLTE or SVDO on all triband devices for well over a year now. It is what it is until VoLTE arrives. Those who need SVDO/ SVLTE have the options of staying with older single band devices or moving to another carrier if it's so important. A person must do what they must. 

• Like 4

Why would we be bothered? 

This site has known of the fact and the reasons for no SVLTE or SVDO on all triband devices for well over a year now. It is what it is until VoLTE arrives. Those who need SVDO/ SVLTE have the options of staying with older single band devices or moving to another carrier if it's so important. A person must do what they must. 

What's the expected/projected timeline on VoLTE?

If that's reasonable I might just keep the device and deal with it for now

Edited by IOWA

How about B26 performance?  Since in theory if the B25 is weak, it'll switch over to the B26 when needed.  Anyone in a B26 area have information about it? 

My experience with band 26 has shown it to be pretty good, around -2 to -3 dbm better than the S4T and around -3 to -5 dbm lower than the N5, but I haven't seen much in the way of reports on band 26 signal strength so I don't know if my experience is common or not.

I've had a hard time judging band 25 since my phone is using band 26 pretty much all the time when transferring data now but when idle it does seem weak, though I've noticed a tendency on the S4T for band 25 to look weak when idling like the phone significantly scales back power resulting in the signal appearing weaker than it is when actually in use so that could be part of it too. I know band 26 definitely appears weaker when the data connection goes idle, I've often watched it drop from around -85 when transferring data to -100 and even -104 but as soon as data was used again it jumped back.

• Like 1

Pardon the "newbie" question, but how do I determine what LTE band I am on?

Download signalcheck pro from. Our very own mikejeep.

Or dial *#0011# from the dialer to get to an enginerring screen.

• Like 1

I'd echo that request, I'd be much more interested (and concerned with) B26 comparatives than really either of the other 2.

I spent the day in the DC area today with some B26 and frankly it kinda sucked. Would switch quickly between b26 and b25. I never had b26 for more than a couple of seconds at a time.

I spent the day in the DC area today with some B26 and frankly it kinda sucked. Would switch quickly between b26 and b25. I never had b26 for more than a couple of seconds at a time.

It may not be allowing connections yet if its booting you off in a few seconds.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Anyone know how to remove the S Finder and Quick connect buttons in the pulldown menu? So annoying. I'm having the voicemail notification issue where it won't go away. I have Google voice so maybe I'll disable it and clear the Sprint VM queue and then reenable G voice. I'll do it in the morning.

Download signalcheck pro from. Our very own mikejeep.

Or dial *#0011# from the dialer to get to an enginerring screen.

I have SignalCheck Pro running, but from the screenshot, can't decipher the band.  I was able to see I am on band 25 using the *#0011# method though.

Screenshot_2014-04-18-00-29-11.png

Just click those 3 dots--system shortcuts--debug--LTE engineering. There's your band. Or for quicker access, use the signal check widget and set it to launch the debug menu.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Just click those 3 dots--system shortcuts--debug--LTE engineering. There's your band. Or for quicker access, use the signal check widget and set it to launch the debug menu.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Doesn't work on stock s5 or alot of Samsung devices.

I picked up an s5 yesterday and have an interesting problem. more like annoying. i have a notification for voicemail that wont go away. when i click it, it doesnt take me to the voicemail app. It takes me to the phone and dials my voicemail. the thing is there are no messages.

I have reset the data for the voicemail app. I have reset the data for the badge provider service. i have left myself a message and deleted it. the phone says the message is part of the phone app itself if that helps solve this. any help would be appreciated.

Apparently this is a problem that sprint and samsung is aware of and will issue a fix. Happening to lots of people I guess. Its really annoying. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/379892-galaxy-s5-voicemail-notification-stuck.html

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/771193

Mine just shows LTE (Sprint) in the notification menu, and in the app, System Shortcuts -> Debug/Engineering I get a message saying Debug/Engineering screens may not be available on this device".

Fairly certain this just means you're on band 25. Try the engineering menu;

I really hope this phone gets a radio update or something because it's too weak. I'm coming from the n5 but still it shouldn't be this bad. Even band 26 still struggles on this phone. If no update comes i'm going to have to switch to something else because I spend way too much time on 3g even with band 26 almost all around me

Apparently this is a problem that sprint and samsung is aware of and will issue a fix. Happening to lots of people I guess. Its really annoying. 

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s5/379892-galaxy-s5-voicemail-notification-stuck.html

https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/771193

So annoying. I'm having the voicemail notification issue where it won't go away.

i found a fix for now. it has to be corrected every time the phone is shut off. go to the Phone app in the all apps tab. if you clear teh data for the hpone it clears the notiifcation. it has also worked correctly with new voicemails becuase they are on the visual voicemail app. i hope this helps.

• Like 1

i found a fix for now. it has to be corrected every time the phone is shut off. go to the Phone app in the all apps tab. if you clear teh data for the hpone it clears the notiifcation. it has also worked correctly with new voicemails becuase they are on the visual voicemail app. i hope this helps.

Yeah I've been doing that too for now. Quick and dirty fix until the next reboot.

All these workarounds for a junk performing phone. I returned mine and am totally happy now that I have something that works. The release was nowhere near ready. If there was at least WiFi calling it would work around all the radio issues. The fact that the phone is not even Airwave compatible without forcing it in total 3G mode hurts too.