Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

I ended up returning it. As I sit here in bed my signal is -90dBm on the S4T, the S5 had a -101dBm. The phone was awesome, but for me at least signal is the number one important feature.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

That sucks because Samsung has always had about the same signal on there phones. I wonder if it is because they used a different antenna technology. I read before somewhere that in order to do the water and dust resistant deal they had to use one that gave worse reception. If that is the case I can do with out the the water/dust BS since I am not a fish and I do not ride around on camels all day long in the desert. I want the best damn antenna I can get with out the washed out screen on the Nexus 5 !

I ended up returning it. As I sit here in bed my signal is -90dBm on the S4T, the S5 had a -101dBm. The phone was awesome, but for me at least signal is the number one important feature.

Yeah, that doesn't seem cool. You were on the same band for LTE, correct? Both Band 25, 1900LTE?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yeah, that doesn't seem cool. You were on the same band for LTE, correct? Both Band 25, 1900LTE?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Yep. On Band 41 it was almost dead even with my S4T. 3G (Ehrpd) was worst on the S5 with 1× being slightly better on the S5. It also picked up 1×800 when my S4 didn't. But Band 25 performance was worst compared to my S4T but better than the EVO LTE I had last year.

Something like this. Never had these issues with my Nexus 5 or S3.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g59mv2se3dvldrz/2014-04-15%2002.01.18.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87xif681z6dvayl/2014-04-15%2002.01.36.png

Care to define that a bit more?  Those two items are vague as to what is causing the "drain".  If you post some battery screen shots with how much on screen time you have, it might help some.  A

Yeah, sorry about that, Galaxy S5 is what I meant.  Yes, the CDMA/LTE option was checked.  I tried updating the profile and PRL while at home in the suburbs with no luck.  I just called Sprint tech support and they had me do it again now that I'm at work in the middle of downtown.  She also did some kind of line re-provisioning from her end, and all of a sudden it seems like the issue is fixed.  The Spark icon has shown up for the first time ever, and is fluctuating between one bar and nearly full bars.  Haven't seen the 3G icon since.  Ran Speedtest before my call and got .4 mbps up and .16 down on 3G.  After the call, I peaked at 22+ mbps down and 1.5 up.  Signifcant difference and what I had been hoping for all along.

Happy now.

I take that back. Reception crapped out again. No 4G anywhere anymore. I'm not going to put up with having to constantly reboot or update my profile whenever I want to use data. This is bull.

Hmmmm, strange. You could try to boot into safe mode and monitor that for a half day and see if it's better. Safe mode disables all 3rd party not Google or Samsung apps.

Oooor, one thing that might clear up the cob webs is to clear the cache through recovery. You can search how to do that on the S5, probably the same as S4, not sure. That will sometimes kill oddities that I see.

Edited by mmark27

I called sprint complaining of the random drops to roaming and bad LTE signal with the gs5 vs my s3, They want me to go to a corp store to check it out to get a exchange. I was sitting in the mobile data screen and this popped up minutes later.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/emyaxw9ikxrtio5/2014-04-15%2003.08.43.png

(scratches head)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyxzqfc64rsf3ce/2014-04-15%2003.34.51.png

Battery life is beating up my gs3 though,, Pretty good considering the constant LTE to 3g and roam switching..

I called sprint complaining of the random drops to roaming and bad LTE signal with the gs5 vs my s3, They want me to go to a corp store to check it out to get a exchange. I was sitting in the mobile data screen and this popped up minutes later.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emyaxw9ikxrtio5/2014-04-15%2003.08.43.png

(scratches head)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyxzqfc64rsf3ce/2014-04-15%2003.34.51.png

Battery life is beating up my gs3 though,, Pretty good considering the constant LTE to 3g and roam switching..

Sim card error. Go swap sim cards and or phones. 

I called CS to report my connectivity issues on both of my gs5s and they told me to take them both in to a sprint store and swap them out. They said there was an issue with them even tho it seems like its more of an eCSFB issue. Has anyone else had issues staying connected to b41?

Question why does the S5 list Band3 Band26 and Band41 under ##data#?

But no Band26.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Oh I wonder who uses Band 3 LTE 1800... I hear a certain third place Japanese telecommunications company uses it for lte. Can't recall the name atm... think it was.. soft..uh..bank?

• Like 3

I was corresponding with @sprintcares via Twitter and they had me enter ##72786# to go into hands free activation and after a few restarts and system updates I got the LTE to stay.

Might work for some of you.

• Like 2

I was corresponding with @sprintcares via Twitter and they had me enter ##72786# to go into hands free activation and after a few restarts and system updates I got the LTE to stay.

Might work for some of you.

What version of software are you on?

What version of software are you on?

According to "About device", the Software version is G900PVPU1ANCB

I did notice though that I need to redo it when I go between work and home, so it's not a complete fix.

I'm having lte issues in nyc. Had it briefly when I stepped out of best buy. Haven't had it all day in spots my s3 would normally get it. Maybe when I get home later it'll be better.

Just noticed that whatever image you have as the lockscren wallpaper, the little exploding dots will be the same color as whatever color you touched on that image. Kind of neat.

I picked up an s5 yesterday and have an interesting problem. more like annoying. i have a notification for voicemail that wont go away. when i click it, it doesnt take me to the voicemail app. It takes me to the phone and dials my voicemail. the thing is there are no messages.

I have reset the data for the voicemail app. I have reset the data for the badge provider service. i have left myself a message and deleted it. the phone says the message is part of the phone app itself if that helps solve this. any help would be appreciated.

You might try going into the voicemail app settings and manually checking for an update. I've seen the app have weird issues like that when it is outdated and needed updated but for whatever reason it wouldn't prompt for the update on its own so I would have to manually do it.

Kinda disappointed. I'm at home and used to get solid lte with my s3. Not so much anymore. I did get some band 41 outside my building though. But neither inside now. Sigh. Now onto my road trip from NYC to DC.

Is there a true test some place of the S4 versus the S5 (or S5 versus the LG G2, HTC One, etc.) simply based on RF?  Not meaning anecdotal evidence like many here are providing, no offense I know that we all monitor our signals closely, but something more controlled?  I know Andrew did that preview article on the WiFi download booster (which isn't on these phones now anyways), but nothing purely on the RF comparisons in real world testing.

I'm growing concerned that there are real issues with the S5's performance based on this forum and a few others.

• Like 1

Is there a true test some place of the S4 versus the S5 (or S5 versus the LG G2, HTC One, etc.) simply based on RF?  Not meaning anecdotal evidence like many here are providing, no offense I know that we all monitor our signals closely, but something more controlled?  I know Andrew did that preview article on the WiFi download booster (which isn't on these phones now anyways), but nothing purely on the RF comparisons in real world testing.

I'm growing concerned that there are real issues with the S5's performance based on this forum and a few others.

This is of course anecdotal and of no real help, but the difference in RF performance that I've observed between the S5 and the EVO 4G LTE that it replaced is astonishing.  That doesn't mean that there aren't issues in comparison to other tri-band phones, but the LTE performance of this phone, corroborated by SignalCheck, is *literally* miles better (as observed in my daily commute) than the EVO.  In comparison, I'm very pleased with my S5.

That said, it would be interesting to see an RF shootout between the tri-band phones, but that's not something I can provide with only one tri-band phone in the household.

• Like 1

Is there a true test some place of the S4 versus the S5 (or S5 versus the LG G2, HTC One, etc.) simply based on RF? Not meaning anecdotal evidence like many here are providing, no offense I know that we all monitor our signals closely, but something more controlled? I know Andrew did that preview article on the WiFi download booster (which isn't on these phones now anyways), but nothing purely on the RF comparisons in real world testing.

Go into any Sprint store with Band 25 LTE and compare the S5 to any other triband. All the stores I've been in the S5 had a weaker signal than the S4T. I had the S5 for several days and compared to my wife's S4T in different rooms, areas of town ect on Band 25 and found about a 8dBm average weaker signal. Someone mentioned before on this site or Android Central that it might be because of the water resistant and dust resistant added to the phone shielded the antennas more.

Also other Verizon and At&t users noticed a decreased signal.

• Like 1