Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

TMo has stated that the S5 will be getting M. I'd be shocked to see it only come to TMo, so it will probably eventually end up to all US S5's. I wouldn't expect any updates past initial release of M. If I was a betting man, you won't see it until late January.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/android-marshmallow-update/

• Like 3

TMo has stated that the S5 will be getting M. I'd be shocked to see it only come to TMo, so it will probably eventually end up to all US S5's. I wouldn't expect any updates past initial release of M. If I was a betting man, you won't see it until late January.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/06/android-marshmallow-update/

T-Mobile also got 5.1, yet the rest of the carriers are sitting on 5.0. At this point, I'm no longer getting my hopes up.

Google/manufacturers need to find a better way to get these updates pushed more efficiently. Nexus is looking pretty damn good right now.

• Like 2

T-Mobile also got 5.1, yet the rest of the carriers are sitting on 5.0. At this point, I'm no longer getting my hopes up.

Google/manufacturers need to find a better way to get these updates pushed more efficiently. Nexus is looking pretty damn good right now.

I would have agreed with going toward the Nexus line until the Lollipop update turned my tablet into a paperweight this spring. Now, I'm not so sure. 

• Like 1

I keep getting touch wiz failure notifications. How do you correct this?

Go to your Application Manager, and under 'All' look for TouchWiz Home. I would recommend trying to clear Data and cache. (Warning; you may lose your home screen settings/set up and would have to add all shortcuts manually again)
  • Like 1

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SM-G900P-SPRINT/OJ2.rdf

Seriously, I don't know if it is Samsung or Sprint trolling us at this point. 5 POINT 0. This has got to stop. Does anyone at Sprint even realize that 5.0 is bugged with memory leaks? T-Mobile sits at 5.1 while we keep getting the same 5.0. update over and over with some minor patchwork (which brings more inconvenience than help btw). Yet, every update fails to address the same 5.0 bugs over and over again (Massive memory leaks, phantom screen wakes, unresponsive fingerprint scanner, slow touchwiz, bluetooth glitches, and more.)

Greatest trolling job ever, and I don't even know who to blame. My next phone will either be an iPhone or a Nexus. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure I believe this new RDF is still 5.0 since didn't the last RDF have a different model number than the 900P? It looks like the Canadian S5s are getting 5.1.1. From what I read the T-Mobile 5.1.1 update wasn't very good either compared to the 5.0 update. I don't mind Sprint taking longer to make sure we get a good update. I am so tired of the super slow performance of the S5 and somewhat turrible battery life. The S5 was a great phone before 5.0 and if Sprint can roll out an update that fixes it, I will be happy again. Its a shame its taken so long to get the S5 back to what it was before 5.0, but alot of that blame lies with Google. Their nexus phones had the same kind of memory leaks and poor battery as well.

So i recently rooted and installed Philz Touch Recovery following the XDA guide and everything went great. But after playing around, I noticed that my phone calls now had a "Record" button instead of the "Add" button. I don't like that (and don't even think its legal to use in my state). I can't find a way to remove it and honestly I don't even know how I ended up with it (Maybe I accidently added it while messing with the prop.build)

Anyone know where I can find a legitimate OG1 tar? I just want to go back to full stock without Recovery or Root. (Or can I just use Kies to go back to full stock?)

(And Yes, I know Knox is tripped forever.)

Might be a good reason to NEVER buy another Samsung Galaxy.

No Kidding. I just checked my phone and the screen was on while sitting under some sheets (the way the phone was sitting, there is just no way a button was accidentaly pressed). I lost 45% battery and the phone is extremely hot. I don't know why, but I've been getting the random screen wakes a lot lately, especially in the mornings while the phone is charging.

Samsung is no longer the phone manufacturer it once was and with its iPhone copy trend in these latest phones, it may be time for LG or Motorola to step up. HTC builds some of the nicest phones and Sense is amazing, but they always suffer from some sort of RF issues that date back to the Evo days. Maybe Black Friday will offer some cheap Moto Xs for sale.

• Like 2

http://www.sammobile.com/2015/11/17/11-17-2015-firmware-updates-galaxy-s6-galaxy-s6-edge-galaxy-note-4-and-more/

If you look at that list, any recent updates for S5 around the globe are all based on 5.0, so the blame is directly on Samsung, unfortunately.

Sadly, the LG G3 will probably get 6.0 before the S5 users even get 5.1.1

I wonder if Sprint is waiting for the LTE Plus to be announced, since I assume they will remove the Spark branding from all their phones?  I think the S6 got an update a month or so ago that removed the spinning spark logo.  

From what I can tell, very few carriers have 5.1 for the S5.  I think almost all of the international versions are still 5.0 so its not just Sprint.  At this point, I bet we get another update to 5.0 soon and then go straight to 6.0.