Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Well well well, I just checked and the was rather quick.

jQnGD8Ql.png

EDIT: Screw it, I'm taking the plunge. Maybe the fixed the random screen turning on and not turning off or the bluetooth/headphone volume mixup.

Edited by greenbastard
  • Like 2

Well well well, I just checked and the was rather quick.

jQnGD8Ql.png

EDIT: Screw it, I'm taking the plunge. Maybe the fixed the random screen turning on and not turning off or the bluetooth/headphone volume mixup.

You'll want to do it because of stagefright, if nothing else.

sent from an underwater dust storm from my Sprint S5

You'll want to do it because of stagefright, if nothing else.

Just finished updating. It's acting a bit slow, but that's expected as it is settling down after reboot. I'll wait until it settles down and then do a full Clear cache/factory reset.

Stagefright doesn't really bother me as Textra has removed auto play from Videos in their latest update.

EDIT: signal bars still show 1 bar for anything below -100 RSRP.

Edited by greenbastard

Stagefright doesn't really bother me as Textra has removed auto play from Videos in their latest update.

I'm actually surprised google didn't go this route and issue updates for hangouts and their messenger app.

I'm actually surprised google didn't go this route and issue updates for hangouts and their messenger app.

Apparently the "fix" by Textra really didn't do anything to stop the actual vulnerability, it just made it so the MMS videos wouldn't auto download, however the OS still would auto download the message.  That was deep in the OS, so the patch had to come from the base layer code. 

Because if you notice, the OS is handling all your SMS and MMS messages.  Textra is just displaying them for you. 

Just finished updating. It's acting a bit slow, but that's expected as it is settling down after reboot. I'll wait until it settles down and then do a full Clear cache/factory reset.

Note 4 5.1.1 didn't do anything re - 100 signal bars either.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Good god, what the hell are the people at Samsung doing? How has this issue never been noticed?!?!

I'll let you know that answers when Samsung/Sprint acknowledge there is a S5 Sport flagship phone they need to support too......

To be fair, even I forgot that phone existed. How is that phone holding up?

I'm using 4.4.2 because 5.01 is in a whole 'nother world of buggy!

I've been into 3 corporate Sprint stores in the past month and every rep I talk to says stay away from the (regular) S5 since is so software buggy.

We are brothers in arms in the Samsung battle.....

At least you're finding new RDFs..... Both Sprint and Samsung forgot about the Sport as well!!

I'm using 4.4.2 because 5.01 is in a whole 'nother world of buggy!

I've been into 3 corporate Sprint stores in the past month and every rep I talk to says stay away from the (regular) S5 since is so software buggy.

We are brothers in arms in the Samsung battle.....

At least you're finding new RDFs..... Both Sprint and Samsung forgot about the Sport as well!!

It really is unfortunate that they can't keep the Sport up to the latest as well.  I mean, the software can not be that different from the standard phone as most of the hardware is the same.....so the drivers would be identical, etc.  For this reason, I will only ever buy the flagships despite the enticement of some of these tweaks like "sport" or "mini" versions. 

Not sure if this is new but I think it is. You can now disable S Health completely after the last update. Seems to help my battery. I occasionally would see it activate (S Health) at random times on my lock screen.

Anyways with the combination of new Hangouts 4.0, perhaps this S Health disabling, new Google Play Services, new Android Wear app version and deleting the Home Depot app....my phone seems to be running muuuuch cooler and eating less battery. (Home Depot was causing wake locks, I found)

• Like 1

I'm not a power user by any means (I always have ~ 40% battery by the end of the day, and I spend most of my phone time on WiFi... Only used 25 MB last month) but I too have noticed my s5 loads apps faster and is quicker in general.

Here's an example of improving battery life. I was fully charged before heading out to meet a friend at a bar with decent Sprint B26 signal, but off WiFi. They were a few minutes late, so I putzed around on the Facebook and Google+, etc for 15 minutes. Then used it a few times to check in beers with Untappd and settle debates with Google searches. I'm personally impressed with this considering where the S5 has been for me in the past 5 months. I can't imagine if they actually fix the memory leaks with 5.1.1 like they did with the Note4 update.

uploadfromtaptalk1439695738467.png

I'm just about done with this damn phone. More missed calls episodes in the past 2 days than I've ever had before.

I talked to Sprint and they have been nice enough to offer me a telesales new 2 year agreement offer. I was tempted to say yes right on the spot, but I do want CA and the new nexus isn't far away from being released.

• Like 1

Anyone else getting weird fast forwarding or skips/sputters while playing audio in the first 30 seconds after connecting to Bluetooth? It initially only happened on Ford's Sync when OG1 came out, but now its happening on every Bluetooth device I connect to.

Anyone else getting weird fast forwarding or skips/sputters while playing audio in the first 30 seconds after connecting to Bluetooth? It initially only happened on Ford's Sync when OG1 came out, but now its happening on every Bluetooth device I connect to.

Yes, I have had this. I notice it when I try to play music, it'll appear to lose connection with my headphones. Will have to hit to start button on my headphones to get it to come back. Only happens once at the beginning of the day, then it's okay.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I did it.  I chirped to Sprint on Twitter enough that someone on the executive team let my wife out of her lease.  So I got her the S6 and I upgraded to a Note 5 (wife got a big severance package from her work).  Honestly guys, do whatever you can to get rid of your S5s and get into these new phones.  It's a ridiculous difference, ridunkulous camera.  Build quality is as the reviews say, out of this world. 

I'll keep tabs on the S5 world just because my parents both have S5s as their phones still for another year.  They don't use them enough for it to really matter. 

If you guys have any questions about the phone, I'll be over in the Note 5 forum too and happy to answer any questions you have. 

• Like 3

Well, I did it. I chirped to Sprint on Twitter enough that someone on the executive team let my wife out of her lease. So I got her the S6 and I upgraded to a Note 5 (wife got a big severance package from her work). Honestly guys, do whatever you can to get rid of your S5s and get into these new phones. It's a ridiculous difference, ridunkulous camera. Build quality is as the reviews say, out of this world.

I'll keep tabs on the S5 world just because my parents both have S5s as their phones still for another year. They don't use them enough for it to really matter.

If you guys have any questions about the phone, I'll be over in the Note 5 forum too and happy to answer any questions you have.

Should have waited for the Nexus. The S6 is worse than the S5 rf wise. Samsung has become too obsessed with being an iPhone that it has hurt their design and features.

I'm going to wait until 5.1 is released and then see if some of these issues are resolved. I'm definitely done with Samsung after this phone though. Their updates and bugs are just unacceptable.