Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

Im confused, didnt know lolipop was out for the sprint s5 yet?

Im confused, didnt know lolipop was out for the sprint s5 yet?

It's not out yet. There's a testing build that exists (via the RDF).  That video was the international version of the S5 running an exclusive peak at a build that Sammobile has.  Sammobile has someone on the inside at the Samsung Mobile division for sure they get everything early. 

Still there!

Can you take a screenshot of what you're talking about?

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

d3f4171ab3fdace32dd26bc0ca3a4766.jpg

8629dcd1c7fd02e0312e359c5c5c0a01.jpg

Doesn't show up as often and goes away sooner. But it's still popping up. I also get those annoying visual voicemail notifications whenever I restart.

• Like 1

d3f4171ab3fdace32dd26bc0ca3a4766.jpg

8629dcd1c7fd02e0312e359c5c5c0a01.jpg

Doesn't show up as often and goes away sooner. But it's still popping up. I also get those annoying visual voicemail notifications whenever I restart.

Got my first one late last night. So lame they didn't fix that.

Up to MKD for RDF already! Exciting times!

A few personal observations...

After updating, it seems that my LTE speeds seem to be slower than before on B26. Before, I used to hover anywhere from 2 to 5 Mbps during the day on B26. After the update, I haven't seen my phone go over 1.6 Mbps.

B41 didn't really improve for me.

Also the phone seems to be more sensitive to losing LTE when placed on my lap than before. As a matter of fact, I seem to find my phone on 3G a lot more often now after it stored on my pockets.

On the plus side, the phone does seem to do a bit better job of scanning for LTE a tad bit faster than before.

I've also had the phone freeze on me a couple of times now. Each time it freezes, it is for long periods of time (~20 seconds) and it usually works fine afterwards.

My camera seems to open no faster than before.

Bluetooth has stopped skipping like it did before. On 4.4.2, I used to have a weird issue where my Bluetooth would occasionally freeze for a second when streaming locally stored music to my headunit. So far, that issue hasn't returned while playing music on my car.

Edited by greenbastard

A few personal observations...

After updating, it seems that my LTE speeds seem to be slower than before on B26. Before, I used to hover anywhere from 2 to 5 Mbps during the day on B26. After the update, I haven't seen my phone go over 1.6 Mbps.

B41 didn't really improve for me.

Also the phone seems to be more sensitive to losing LTE when placed on my lap than before. As a matter of fact, I seem to find my phone on 3G a lot more often now after it stored on my pockets.

On the plus side, the phone does seem to do a bit better job of scanning for LTE a tad bit faster than before.

I've also had the phone freeze on me a couple of times now. Each time it freezes, it is for long periods of time (~20 seconds) and it usually works fine afterwards.

My camera seems to open no faster than before.

Bluetooth has stopped skipping like it did before. On 4.4.2, I used to have a weird issue where my Bluetooth would occasionally freeze for a second when streaming locally stored music to my headunit. So far, that issue hasn't returned while playing music on my car.

I'll assume you didn't factory reset after the update?

I haven't factory reset, probably the first time I haven't after an update, and I'm not seeing any of those issues. My B41, B26 is far better. I've certainly haven't had any freezes.

Maybe try a factory reset?

• Like 1

Anyone else lost the ability to add a IOTHiddenMenu shortcut (via Nova, AnyCut, etc)

I can still get to it the IOTHiddenMenu, just not add a shortcut I have to go through the dialer.

Weird cause I can still add the shortcut for Download Booster even though that doesnt work.

I'll assume you didn't factory reset after the update?

I haven't factory reset, probably the first time I haven't after an update, and I'm not seeing any of those issues. My B41, B26 is far better. I've certainly haven't had any freezes.

Maybe try a factory reset?

I also have the NK4 update.  Have not had any issue.  I did clear the cache for all apps though.

The UI seems a little speedier and the battery seems a little better, to me.  I'm not a heavy user throughout the day though.  Data speeds seem to be the same as before.  Also, reception seems to be the same.

Ever since this update my girlfriends phone & mine both answer by themselves. Happen to anyone else? Doesn't happen all the time

Any circumstance around when it happens? On WiFi calling? WiFi calling enabled? Weak signal? By answers itself, you mean the phone rings once, then accepts the call? Double check call options, air view gestures, etc.

Anyone having Facebook crash alot. Especially when trying to click links? Externally or within the app.

No, I'm not. Are links redirecting to Facebook's lame Web browser for you? Mine are and I haven't had an issue. What do you mean "externally"? Like any web link or just ones pointing to FB?

I have noticed that between my S5 and my wife's, we've got some definite battery drain from something on NK4. Battery life is not as good as NE5.

• Like 1

Any circumstance around when it happens? On WiFi calling? WiFi calling enabled? Weak signal? By answers itself, you mean the phone rings once, then accepts the call? Double check call options, air view gestures, etc.

Happens with or without wifi calling with good signal or bad. Rings maybe once or twice then answers. I checked all options and searched before posting and found nothing. I guess an update issue.

No, I'm not. Are links redirecting to Facebook's lame Web browser for you? Mine are and I haven't had an issue. What do you mean "externally"? Like any web link or just ones pointing to FB?

Whenever I click a link that someone posted it will crash Facebook. Whether I try to launch in Chrome or fb internal crappy browser. I tried reinstalling fb. Still happens randomly.

My issue has been me force restarting dueto text stop working, and calls wont ever actually start. The restart immediately fixes it. Also more dropped calls than ever, or failed calls. Never has been this buggy...plus the update made my phone think its custom instead of official

I just recently upgraded from the Non Spark S4 to the S5. I'm really enjoying the phone, and it's features. I have 2 questions. First is the 3G icon status. When I'm in a 3G area (home, work, etc) I see a small 3G icon in the spinning circle that spins, and at times, it will stop spinning, and a larger 3G icon appears. When I pick the phone up, or move it, the large 3G icon switches back to the smaller icon in the spinning circle. What causes this? Is it just the feature of the phone? I'd rather see the larger icon instead of that annoying spinning circle. As for LTE, I'm well aware, and read way ahead of time about the spinning star, but will some update in the near future stop it from spinning, and just show the 4G LTE icon instead?

My second question is regarding to connecting to LTE. I'm in San Diego. Band 25 is the main band here. This morning on my way to work, I passed through LTE locations my old S4 would pick up quickly. The S5 didn't do that, until I got to work when it switched networks, and was on it until I left for the day. On way home, left work, got onto the freeway where there's a mix of strong LTE signals, strong 3G signals, etc. Didn't pick up any LTE at all on way back home. So my question is, should I disable Bands 26 and 41 to get a better handoff for the time being?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8wqjkokxgpiq8hl/AABk1BRLZa5tnMnLH1KzoXNwa?dl=0

I just recently upgraded from the Non Spark S4 to the S5. I'm really enjoying the phone, and it's features. I have 2 questions. First is the 3G icon status. When I'm in a 3G area (home, work, etc) I see a small 3G icon in the spinning circle that spins, and at times, it will stop spinning, and a larger 3G icon appears. When I pick the phone up, or move it, the large 3G icon switches back to the smaller icon in the spinning circle. What causes this? Is it just the feature of the phone? I'd rather see the larger icon instead of that annoying spinning circle. As for LTE, I'm well aware, and read way ahead of time about the spinning star, but will some update in the near future stop it from spinning, and just show the 4G LTE icon instead?

My second question is regarding to connecting to LTE. I'm in San Diego. Band 25 is the main band here. This morning on my way to work, I passed through LTE locations my old S4 would pick up quickly. The S5 didn't do that, until I got to work when it switched networks, and was on it until I left for the day. On way home, left work, got onto the freeway where there's a mix of strong LTE signals, strong 3G signals, etc. Didn't pick up any LTE at all on way back home. So my question is, should I disable Bands 26 and 41 to get a better handoff for the time being?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8wqjkokxgpiq8hl/AABk1BRLZa5tnMnLH1KzoXNwa?dl=0

That's just how the 3G icons work.  When it's receiving data, it goes into spinny mode, when its not, it's a big old 3G symbol.  Odd choice, but it is what it is.  On older phones and OS versions, you would have seen a green and orange-ish arrows toggling their color, which would indicate data is transferring. 

Quesiton 2:

So, what you'll find is that there is a specific time that the phone will sit on 3G before it'll switch back over to LTE.  

For example, I have lots of LTE around me at work.  When I get into my car though, I go through a dense parking garage, my phone will latch onto 3G (not every day, but some).  Sometimes, I will not see LTE pop up until I get home even though I travel through an area will much LTEs available.  Other times, it'll pop back over to LTE when I hit the first stop sign. 

I would NOT disable any bands of LTE and I'm not sure that you even can (it looks like you can, but you can't do anything in that menu without root).  The quickest thing to do if you are in an LTE area, but you are stuck on 3G, let's say for a commute home to stream music or something, just cycle airplane mode.  You can set up the toggle in the quick toggles area of the notification shade.  That should pop you back into LTE after airplane mode.  The other option is to just do a PRL update, that will force the radios to rescan. 

It's a hassle, I know, but that's just how these phones work.  If it were constantly scanning for LTE while on 3G, then the battery would drain even faster than it does on 3G.  SO, they have it timed to look again after x-minutes (maybe around 15 or 20).  Airplane mode cycle is the best.  You'll find that as you area matures, you will find this popping over to 3G less and less.  It's also possible that when all the areas mature for Sprint's network, they might reduce that wait to scan time. 

Glad you are enjoying the phone! 

• Like 4

That's just how the 3G icons work.  When it's receiving data, it goes into spinny mode, when its not, it's a big old 3G symbol.  Odd choice, but it is what it is.  On older phones and OS versions, you would have seen a green and orange-ish arrows toggling their color, which would indicate data is transferring. 

Quesiton 2:

So, what you'll find is that there is a specific time that the phone will sit on 3G before it'll switch back over to LTE.  

For example, I have lots of LTE around me at work.  When I get into my car though, I go through a dense parking garage, my phone will latch onto 3G (not every day, but some).  Sometimes, I will not see LTE pop up until I get home even though I travel through an area will much LTEs available.  Other times, it'll pop back over to LTE when I hit the first stop sign. 

I would NOT disable any bands of LTE and I'm not sure that you even can (it looks like you can, but you can't do anything in that menu without root).  The quickest thing to do if you are in an LTE area, but you are stuck on 3G, let's say for a commute home to stream music or something, just cycle airplane mode.  You can set up the toggle in the quick toggles area of the notification shade.  That should pop you back into LTE after airplane mode.  The other option is to just do a PRL update, that will force the radios to rescan. 

It's a hassle, I know, but that's just how these phones work.  If it were constantly scanning for LTE while on 3G, then the battery would drain even faster than it does on 3G.  SO, they have it timed to look again after x-minutes (maybe around 15 or 20).  Airplane mode cycle is the best.  You'll find that as you area matures, you will find this popping over to 3G less and less.  It's also possible that when all the areas mature for Sprint's network, they might reduce that wait to scan time. 

:goodpost:  :thx:

• Like 1

That's just how the 3G icons work. When it's receiving data, it goes into spinny mode, when its not, it's a big old 3G symbol. Odd choice, but it is what it is. On older phones and OS versions, you would have seen a green and orange-ish arrows toggling their color, which would indicate data is transferring.

Quesiton 2:

For example, I have lots of LTE around me at work. When I get into my car though, I go through a dense parking garage, my phone will latch onto 3G (not every day, but some). Sometimes, I will not see LTE pop up until I get home even though I travel through an area will much LTEs available. Other times, it'll pop back over to LTE when I hit the first stop sign.

I would NOT disable any bands of LTE and I'm not sure that you even can (it looks like you can, but you can't do anything in that menu without root). The quickest thing to do if you are in an LTE area, but you are stuck on 3G, let's say for a commute home to stream music or something, just cycle airplane mode. You can set up the toggle in the quick toggles area of the notification shade. That should pop you back into LTE after airplane mode. The other option is to just do a PRL update, that will force the radios to rescan.

It's a hassle, I know, but that's just how these phones work. If it were constantly scanning for LTE while on 3G, then the battery would drain even faster than it does on 3G. SO, they have it timed to look again after x-minutes (maybe around 15 or 20). Airplane mode cycle is the best. You'll find that as you area matures, you will find this popping over to 3G less and less. It's also possible that when all the areas mature for Sprint's network, they might reduce that wait to scan time.

Thanks a ton for the feedback! That explained everything perfectly! I also forgot to add LTE speeds were down. Last night after I posted, I decided to power off my phone for a minute or two. Something I didnt do after system updated to 4.4.4. I live in between 2 LTE towers. One is about a mile away, and the other is about a little over a mile. I can't get any LTE signsls at home. Some late nights if I'm standing outside I'd pick up a LTE signal here or there at -117 to -119 dBm when i had my S4. To make a long story short, I left home this morning on the normal 3G signals. As soon as i drove about 5 tenths of a mile, I seen the very quick handoff to LTE at -109 dBm! My S4 hardly ever did that, only when i got close to the site. On way to work, I held LTE signals for miles passing through, and by locations that had it, which didnt happen when i got the phone last Saturday. I've noticed quicker handoffs to 3G areas that don't have LTE.

As for being at work, my S4 had speeds anywhere between 15-22 Mpbs depending on the day. Yesterday speeds were way below ranging between 8-10 Mpbs. Then again, maybe it was that kind of day. Did more tests today, and got what I expected! Can't wait to use the other bands in FL in next couple of weeks while on vacation! I love this phone!

Thanks again for the very useful information!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hf44c00giclxnf2/AAAqdUr0CFzmRsQVVu95zefia?dl=0

• Like 1

So today I went to restart my Galaxy S5 that is primarily a hotspot.  And to my suprise I see screen burn in...  Looks like it isnt such a great idea to leave signalcheck displayed 24/7.  lol.  Is there any way to fix screen burn in?  or is my screen stuck with the Signalcheck burned into it?  Its not a huge deal.  Im just curious.