Samsung Galaxy S5 User Thread

LuisBOSS302

This is not a generic problem with either the GS5 or WiFi calling.  It has worked nearly perfectly on my GS5 in the NW Chicago burbs since I started using it about 3 weeks ago, and others in this thread have reported the same.  It could be location related, but sounds more like the WiFi Calling software install went bad, and you may need to re-install.

• Like 1

Well I have about had it with wifi calling. After a minute or two on a call my wifi ends up resetting on the phone. Another case is I will not receive calls or texts which I have to disable it and reset the phone. Also there have been times leaving wifi it will not connect to the towers and needs a reset.

Service is still new and any bugs may get fixed on the next update.

For me, everything works great except for the fact that voice seems to lag due to latancy (checked my ping and that's not it). The lag is not very bad, but it is still slightly noticeable. But everything else as far as voice calls and texts coming in seem to be more reliable than eCSFB.

It just occurred to me that I rolled out a feature specifically designed to help GS5 users and I don't know if I told anyone that uses a GS5!  Since the GS5 appears to have an issue reporting the PLMN ID via the traditional API's I created a new custom band feature in LTE Discovery that would allow users to create a rule that would allow the app to identify B41 sites by using the first three digits of the GCI and TAC.

There's more info on this post if you're interested.

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/2864-lte-discovery-app-for-s4gru/?p=344355

• Like 4

Can anyone recommend a car charger that actually charges the phones, not just holds the battery level?

My Note 3 and my wife's S5 don't seem to actually charge on any mobile chargers. Seems like either they lose power or hold the same.

There's so many out there and so many conflicting reviews.

Can anyone recommend a car charger that actually charges the phones, not just holds the battery level?

My Note 3 and my wife's S5 don't seem to actually charge on any mobile chargers. Seems like either they lose power or hold the same.

I have some random y looking one I got from sprint when I bought my Note 2, it's a USB 2.0 but playing Pandora it charges it pretty good. It has, what looks like, tylt on it. Hope this helps haha

I just use a 12 volt inverter that has plug ins on it and i plug the GS5 charger into it and it charges great!

I have this charger: http://goo.gl/QUkoCb

It works very well and will charge the devices while they're doing stuff.  One port delivers around 1800 mA and the other about 1500 mA (according to an app I have installed, FWIW), so short of the claimed 4.2A, but it works to keep my S5 and my wife's S4 charged up while doing stuff with them like streaming while navigating, etc.

I have also found that the actual USB cable can sometimes kill the power too.  I had some Amazon basics cables and they sucked.

Anyone have any experiences with fixing a broken GS5 screen? Can it be done at home? Is it hard? Expensive? My friend's phone dropped about 3 feet and landed face down. Even with a case, the floor won (just like vegas, the floor always wins)

• Like 2

So how confident are you guys in the GS5's water resistance? I went to Aquatica in Orlando last weekend and was pretty surprised on how many people were taking selfies as they went down the larger water rides.  I took the water resistance as peace of mind if it rains, but I don't know if I could ever submerge a ~$700 phone. 

That can be fixed in 30 seconds. Its literally one screw.

You're right. Ive just been too lazy to order the part. And the fact that every store I've been to has refused to replace it. and doesn't even acknowledge it's a common problem.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So how confident are you guys in the GS5's water resistance? I went to Aquatica in Orlando last weekend and was pretty surprised on how many people were taking selfies as they went down the larger water rides. I took the water resistance as peace of mind if it rains, but I don't know if I could ever submerge a ~$700 phone.

Pretty confident. I have used it in my pool countless times.

I'll leave a short video I uploaded on YouTube here:https://www.dropbox.com/s/fpg3ptv8layfw2b/2014-05-28%2021.17.08.mp4

• Like 2

So how confident are you guys in the GS5's water resistance? I went to Aquatica in Orlando last weekend and was pretty surprised on how many people were taking selfies as they went down the larger water rides. I took the water resistance as peace of mind if it rains, but I don't know if I could ever submerge a ~$700 phone.

There are review videos where people have put the S5 through a clothes washer and it was perfectly fine. So, yes, I trust it.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

• Like 1

There are review videos where people have put the S5 through a clothes washer and it was perfectly fine. So, yes, I trust it.

sent from an underwater dust storm with my Sprint S5

I actually just saw that one. Pretty awesome. I hope water proofing becomes a norm.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Those of you using the S5, since you can't set a band priority, I assume you stumble on B26 just by chance?  I realize the network selects the band, but at least other devices you could set an initial priority.

Would seem to be difficult to help the premier threads out finding B26 sites.

Those of you using the S5, since you can't set a band priority, I assume you stumble on B26 just by chance?  I realize the network selects the band, but at least other devices you could set an initial priority.

Would seem to be difficult to help the premier threads out finding B26 sites.

Most LTE devices are still B25 only. Since the network does load balancing, most triband devices get pushed to B26. So for now its easy to use an S5 for B26 hunting, but it will become increasingly more difficult when more B26 devices are out there.

Im not really worried about it. Outside of testing, everybody should just let the network do its job to provide the best service to you and other users around you. Screwing with band priorities just screws with the network.

My understanding is that the network will pick the priority, anyway.  It only affects it on initial network after going into airplane mode for example.

I just used my s5 for my ALS Ice Bucket Challenge.

Waterproof galaxy s5 ALS Ice Bucket Challenge:

• Like 2