HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Surprisingly enough, LTE Only mode also doesn't work for me. Is this something with this device specifically?

I got LTE ONLY mode to work when I was in Knoxville but even then it wasn't reliable. It kind of worked. The data was intermittent.

It will change if the market wants it to change, and even then it won't happen overnight.  The north american market is totally different from the rest of the world.  These companies want their customers locked in, whether through a service contract or a device contract.

The main problem is that reps have no authority to restrict sales to only contract or ezpay customers.

At least with ezpay is you can just pay it off immediately after signing up... however it is an inconvenience.

The main problem is that reps have no authority to restrict sales to only contract or ezpay customers.

At least with ezpay is you can just pay it off immediately after signing up... however it is an inconvenience.

Well I am not nor have I ever been a sprint employee or worked for any other wireless company so I can't speak for who has what authority.  But I have had sales reps and managers alike from several different stores in my area tell me to my face that they absolutely will not sell me a device without me signing a contract and that I will be better off just buying it online.  I have also been told that they have been instructed by their corporate office to restrict sales to only new customers or current customers with upgrades or adding a line.  This is primarily with new releases but after a few months they relax that policy(assuming its an actual policy, I don't know for sure).

Does anyone know what the PIN1/PUK1 unlock codes are for? I have these listed on my account page.

I'm not sure they actually serve a purpose for us. In theory the SIM can be locked out until you enter the PIN. If you have forgotten PIN the PUK can be used to reset it.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I just called Sprint and apparently there was a ticket opened on my home site on the day that I got my phone. They also reported that the site has had a high number of dropped and blocked calls since that day too. She told me that a tech has been sent out to fix the site and that all problems should be fixed by Saturday.

Here's to hoping that they fix eCSFB!

Not sure if it was posted yet but sprint stores will have the m8 for sale friday.

Is that all Sprint stores? If so that would put the street date about a week earlier than I expected! I sure hope so. 

• Like 1

Well I am not nor have I ever been a sprint employee or worked for any other wireless company so I can't speak for who has what authority. But I have had sales reps and managers alike from several different stores in my area tell me to my face that they absolutely will not sell me a device without me signing a contract and that I will be better off just buying it online. I have also been told that they have been instructed by their corporate office to restrict sales to only new customers or current customers with upgrades or adding a line. This is primarily with new releases but after a few months they relax that policy(assuming its an actual policy, I don't know for sure).

I haven't done a lot of business in Sprint retail stores (corporate or third party), but any time I went in there they were more than happy to sell me anything I wanted. Regardless of being a line upgrade, adding a line, buying a device outright or an accessory. I don't know what the policy actually is but I would be discouraged if the rep told me to go buy online.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Quick question.... Does anyone know if Sprint stores will be selling the M8 in any additional color than the standard Gunmetal Gray?

I actually prefer the gold or silver color.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

Edited by kct1975

Quick question.... Does anyone know if Sprint stores will be selling the M8 in any additional color than the standard Gunmetal Gray? I actually prefer the gold or silver color. Sent from my RCT6378W2

You should be able to get the gold from best buy, I think they have exclusivity on that color, as far as the silver I'm not sure.

I've been using my M8 for about 3 days now and here are my impressions:

* Build quality is awesome, much better than M7

* RF performance is better than M7

* I do not like M8's button placement.  I find it hard to turn the phone on or off without inadvertently pressing one of the volume buttons.

* I greatly prefer M7's recessed volume rocker to M8's non-recessed rocker.

* Very slippery, definitely need a case.

* For some reason the M8's screen is almost impossible to see when wearing polarized sunglasses.  The M7 did not have this problem at all.

* My biggest complaint is the single radio path and the fact that the phone often does not connect to LTE even when there is a STRONG signal.  I've been told this is a tower/eCSFB issue not a phone issue.  I have a very strong LTE signal at both my home and my work, and most points in between.  All towers at home, work, and in between are at least 3G accepted.  Upon booting the phone, it will happily connect to LTE and stay connected.  If I drive for a while, to home or to work, it will switch to 3G and *never* switch back, ever.  Even if I drive back to where I started from (where I had a strong and consistent LTE connection).  The only way the phone will EVER connect to LTE again is if I either reboot it, or toggle airplane mode on and off.  That is very annoying.  However I do know that the LTE buildout in Buffalo is still underway.

All in all, I still highly recommend this phone, but be aware that by using it on Sprint you are essentially an early adopter of this triband, single radio path, eCSFB system and are pretty much a guinea pig.

• Like 2

* For some reason the M8's screen is almost impossible to see when wearing polarized sunglasses.  The M7 did not have this problem at all.

This is my biggest complaint as well,  due to random migraines I wear sunglasses about 90% of the time when its sunny outside and I can hardly see the screen when wearing sunglasses, no issues with my n5, one max, m7 or evo lte.  I wonder who manufactures these screens and I wonder if they have more than one supplier for their screens, I hope they do.  Overall I do think the screen is more vibrant and better looking than the one on the m7 but this is a major issue for me as well.

Edit:  Turned out to be a rogue screen protector, if you have a screen protector on try changing it out.

I went to Best Buy and tested out the gold version thoroughly and also took a look at the gun metal Grey one. That gun metal grey one is so nice I almost bought it in the spot. I used signal check and compared it to my Note 3 and S3. It seemed to get about the same signal strength on LTE add both of my phones. The issue that moeSizlack is talking about with LTE hand off is very disappointing since my Evo LTE was the same way and it is still not fixed. Boom sound is awesome the camera is alright takes clear pictures but not add good in low light as I thought it would be but the pictures are sharp with good color saturation. Very tempted by this phone but I guess I will wait and take a look at the S5 first.

I have the lg g flex but within 14 day return period. If anyone has this phone can you tell me how it is an if it's worth getting

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Has anyone else got this error? I lost data completely after seeing it. Powered off and reset the SIM and I'm back up now.

Posted Image

• Like 1

This is my biggest complaint as well,  due to random migraines I wear sunglasses about 90% of the time when its sunny outside and I can hardly see the screen when wearing sunglasses, no issues with my n5, one max, m7 or evo lte.  I wonder who manufactures these screens and I wonder if they have more than one supplier for their screens, I hope they do.  Overall I do think the screen is more vibrant and better looking than the one on the m7 but this is a major issue for me as well.

Could a screen protector(anti-glare) possibly mitigate this issue?

• Like 1

Could a screen protector(anti-glare) possibly mitigate this issue?

I was just about to post about this. I just switched screen protectors and it seems to be working fine now.  I guess there was a rogue protector in the packaging being that all the other protectors in the same packaging wasn't having this effect.

I have the lg g flex but within 14 day return period. If anyone has this phone can you tell me how it is an if it's worth getting

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

If you haven't already read through this thread, most if not all seem to be very happy with it so far, including myself.  But it really depends on what you are looking for in a device so by all means go and check it out for yourself to see how you like it.  

• Like 1

Has anyone else got this error? I lost data completely after seeing it. Powered off and reset the SIM and I'm back up now.

Yeah, but it stopped after about a day. I don't know what it means and I don't know how to reset the SIM, so I just let it do its thing and the device simply stopped.

• Like 1

Yeah, but it stopped after about a day. I don't know what it means and I don't know how to reset the SIM, so I just let it do its thing and the device simply stopped.

Ok,thanks.  Hopefully it doesn't come back for me either then.  By resetting it I really just meant pop it out and put it back in thinking maybe it wasn't seated all the way.

Update on mine (if anyone cares  :) ). I've switched to CDMA only mode exclusively for now. I've found that if I'm going to be staying in one place for a while like my home or my in-laws' home, I can restart the phone and 3g connects and stays connected fairly well, though it's still not 100%. 

When traveling after that and moving throughout town and moving to different towers, that seems to really cripple any ability to get a 3g data signal, a phone call, or a text, and really truly won't reconnect until I do another restart.

Does this sound like CSFB to anyone?