HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

If lte connection is your only concern, especially if you are on the edge of service(lte) then it's a no brainer to keep the n5 but if you are in an area that's reasonably covered then the m8 is a great device to own. Now I carry two devices at all times but it would take an act of God for me to get rid of my n5 because of it's RF performance but overall I definitely like the m8 a lot more.

Yea I really like the design and build of the m8. Gahh idk I might be suckered to get it.

What everyone think of the camera? I've seen some pics that look amazing that could rival my G2, then others that are pretty bad. Only reason I like a high mp camera is if I have to zoom in on a pic. The camera is the only think I'm slightly iffy about this phone, other threads I've read say that it can rival the G2 in battery life.

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

What everyone think of the camera? I've seen some pics that look amazing that could rival my G2, then others that are pretty bad. Only reason I like a high mp camera is if I have to zoom in on a pic. The camera is the only think I'm slightly iffy about this phone, other threads I've read say that it can rival the G2 in battery life. Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

The camera is superb in every aspect. It matches the camera of the iPhone 5S, which although I hate to admit it, I think it is one of the best if not the best camera on the market. In low light, it is excellent, in regular lighting, colors are nearly spot on and focusing is fast. The only thing wrong with it is the megapixel count but that only comes into effect when you zoom in too much.

But remember, the photo is only as good as the photographer.

Just upgraded from the Evo 4G Lte. I love this phone! My only problem is I can't use the phone and Internet at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue with their (M8)? I often need to pull up information while I'm on my phone so this would be a deal breaker for me.

Just upgraded from the Evo 4G Lte. I love this phone! My only problem is I can't use the phone and Internet at the same time. Has anyone else had this issue with their (M8)? I often need to pull up information while I'm on my phone so this would be a deal breaker for me.

Then you're going to have to use a single band device that support svlte or svdo or find another carrier. All Triband devices are single radio no svlte no svdo until volte comes out

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Every device that has been released since last October is like this. As Tim said, you'll have to stick with an older device to be able to keep this feature. SvLTE is a thing of the past (whether you think that's a good thing or not).

• Like 1

What everyone think of the camera? I've seen some pics that look amazing that could rival my G2, then others that are pretty bad. Only reason I like a high mp camera is if I have to zoom in on a pic. The camera is the only think I'm slightly iffy about this phone, other threads I've read say that it can rival the G2 in battery life.

Sent from my LG G2 on the Now Network

Camera is excellent, its just as good as any other camera out there and its probably the best in low light but of course due to the lower pixel count, once you start to zoom then its obviously the worse.

How long does it usually take before it ships with an online order? Got suckered in and bought one today.   ;)

If its at the warehouse and you order early enough it would more than likely ship same day and you could get it as early as the next day.but 2 days seems to be the average.

So on my m7 I get lte signal at -110 dB at work. Fine until I use it then I get dropped to 3G which is abysmal. Is the m8 really about 10 db better? And is -100dB enough to keep 3G at bay?

Yes, that will be more than enough to keep your 3g at bay.

Your only other option is to use wifi but like others have said no more svlte with triband devices.

• Like 2

Though not ideal, you could use a VoIP solution to get voice and data at the same time. I didn't care for the voice quality but it worked. I started to carry my tablet if I think I need data while on the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yeah, nothing comes close to the n5 when it comes to lte connectivity but other than that the m8 wins everywhere else. If you have a specific question though, just ask away.

Does the debug/engineering screens still work?

Edit - never mind I see you answered it earlier in the thread.

This phone holds on to LTE like nobody's business. It held on to Band 41 until -135dbm today and data was still going through. It was slow, but it still worked.

For some reason my phone hooks on to Band 41 and doesn't let go until it is absolutely necessary. Does this device scan that band first?

• Like 2

If lte connection is your only concern, especially if you are on the edge of service(lte) then it's a no brainer to keep the n5 but if you are in an area that's reasonably covered then the m8 is a great device to own. Now I carry two devices at all times but it would take an act of God for me to get rid of my n5 because of it's RF performance but overall I definitely like the m8 a lot more.

setting aside cost differences, do you think you would prefer a GPE m8 over the sense version, or do you feel sense is equal or better than nexus style?

crap, just realized that the GPE is only gsm based.

so I supposed the question becomes, assuming a sprint GPE version was available, which would you prefer

Edited by dedub

This phone holds on to LTE like nobody's business. It held on to Band 41 until -135dbm today and data was still going through. It was slow, but it still worked.

For some reason my phone hooks on to Band 41 and doesn't let go until it is absolutely necessary. Does this device scan that band first?

I think that's what Sprints plans are/were. 41> 25 > 26

That would make sense if 41 worked down to that level, which if accurate is a insane noise noise floor level for even a real radio much less a cellphone. 41 has much more bandwidth and less congestion.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

setting aside cost differences, do you think you would prefer a GPE m8 over the sense version, or do you feel sense is equal or better than nexus style?

crap, just realized that the GPE is only gsm based.

so I supposed the question becomes, assuming a sprint GPE version was available, which would you prefer

I have always been a fan of sense UI especially with the latest versions of sense(5,5.5 and 6) but the Google experience launcher is a close second.

Got my m8 in Friday. Maybe you guys can help me. I'm in an area with lte but the fallback switches haven't been installed yet so no 4g for me yet. I can live with that. However my 3g, voice and text have also been pretty wonky. A lot of data disconnects, texts not going through, and dropped calls. Do I have a bad phone or do I need to give it a few days and see if it improves? I've only got 14 days to decide. Would those issues be a side effect of having a spark device in a non spark ready area or an area with no fallback switches? The tech at sprint locally seems to think I'll have these same 3g text and voice issues if I switched to a different triband device. Is there any recommendations settings wise I can try in the meantime to help out my 3g and texts?

Got my m8 in Friday. Maybe you guys can help me. I'm in an area with lte but the fallback switches haven't been installed yet so no 4g for me yet. I can live with that. However my 3g, voice and text have also been pretty wonky. A lot of data disconnects, texts not going through, and dropped calls. Do I have a bad phone or do I need to give it a few days and see if it improves? I've only got 14 days to decide. Would those issues be a side effect of having a spark device in a non spark ready area or an area with no fallback switches? The tech at sprint locally seems to think I'll have these same 3g text and voice issues if I switched to a different triband device. Is there any recommendations settings wise I can try in the meantime to help out my 3g and texts?

It's a CSFB issue, not your phone. It happens to me too, especially when I'm home. I happen to be on one of the only towers in my city that is messed up. It'll take time before it gets fixed though.

• Like 1

Have you tried setting it to 3G Only? That could help some with the disconnects until the CSFB issue is resolved.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Right now I'm on cdma only along with roaming mode set to home only. I've been at home on wifi but i the times I have looked at the phone it's had the 3g icon at the top like it should so maybe it's settled down. We'll see. I wish i could go somewhere with the proper fallback circuits installed and see if it acts any better.

Could coming from an iPhone also effect stuff when activating an android? (Btw it was only for 2 days until my m8 came in)