HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

I'll be in a non-Sprint area in a couple weeks in northern WI, I'll see if it works there... will be roaming on VZW and Cellcom. Coverage map seems to only show data roaming in the Cellcom areas, but voice roaming on VZW. The VZW area used to be Alltel with EV-DO roaming but they've downed me to 1X in the past 3-4 years (even though I thought VZW was supposed to honor the roaming agreement through 2015 when they took over Alltel).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My understanding is that Verizon's roaming rates are much higher/less favorable compared to other CDMA regional carriers like USCC or Cellcom. For that reason, Sprint only allows Verizon EV-DO roaming on corporate lines.

I don't know if that device specifically does not have roaming, or if it's an issue with the Sprint maps. We all know how good they are...

It does seem odd that only M8 wouldn't have much roaming. But it does correlate with my problems and uh60james issues. Maybe others can chime in on if roaming is working on your Sprint M8s? Also, there appears to be 'some' roaming coverage, so before commenting make sure your roaming status on the sprint site to see if it matches up.

Key thing here I think is data roaming... I can roam just fine, but I can't transfer data while connected to a roaming network.

This is weird.  Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G Flex both show the same crap almost non-existent roaming data coverage.  LG G2, Nexus 5 and HTC One M7 show nationwide data roaming coverage.

• Like 1

So I just bought an M8 for $90 + $40 gift card for target, was $199, priced matched to $99, got 10% off(employee discount). Plus it was the Harman/Kardon edition, and looks/feels really nice. First impression is that In town LTE the M8 is better than the Nexus on the Latest Baseband. But Edge LTE signal seems to slightly favor the Nexus still. 1x800 is better on the M8, as well as EVDO from what I am able to tell. 

• Like 1

This is weird.  Samsung Galaxy S5 and the LG G Flex both show the same crap almost non-existent roaming data coverage.  LG G2, Nexus 5 and HTC One M7 show nationwide data roaming coverage.

I wonder if this is because of the Rural alliance, and the works. Possibly in some areas(mine in particular) only a small area on the border of Sprint Service goes out, the Roaming doesn't show any more. This makes me think of possible areas of Expansion. 

I'm finding the opposite with mine; the phone seems to stick to 3G until I airplane mode cycle or wait an awful long time til it figures out there's LTE in the area.  Prior to the update it would grab LTE more often.  Maybe it's an area thing... eCSFB seems to be fine here, but still waiting on B26 on some towers and they've started installing B41 equipment recently.  Not sure if that would have anything to do with my issue.

I had the same problem after the update, phone was mostly stuck on 3G in known LTE areas and had to cycle airplane mode.

Called HTC & the tech suggested removing & reinstalling the simcard. That solved the problem for me, so give it try and hope it works for you too

Thanks! Tried that and it seems to be working better now.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Since you have done that I would also update PRL and then Profile

But shouldn't the tower automatically switch me? Or would that disrupt the data stream, so it doesn't switch me.

This has always been the case. Even with EVDO and 1x. When you have an active data stream going, it will want to hand off to the same technology and band. Only when it cannot find the same technology and band does it start exploring other options.

While you're in an active data stream, it just does not look and find something even niftier that may be out there. It maintains the status quo unless you no longer can keep your data stream going.

I get the same on other providers too. On VZW, it will stay on 700MHz, even when I get into AWS coverage that is faster and more robust, if I am actively in a data session. And AT&T, it will not move move WCDMA to LTE just because I drive into coverage if I am using an active data session. Not until there is a long enough pause for the device to scan or the network to shunt you, you'll stay on the current technology/band.

I'm not sure if it's limited to do that and there is no other choice, or if networks have just been set up that way. I guess that would be a good question.

I have been handed off B41 to B25 in an active data session before though. I started on B41 and drove out of B41 range and into B25. It did hand over every time. But it did not even try to connect to the really strong B25 site until B41 was unusable. It wanted to stay on B41 as long as it could.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Different sites have been reporting a 4.4.4 update by August for the M8.

Ya...I just saw an article about that yesterday that suggested either late July or early August for the 4.4 roll-out to the M8.

Are you in that secret HTC group that occasionally pops up? Are you testing software because of that?

Uhhhh, not sure what you are talking about.

How do you guys like the phone ? I've been thinking on getting the h/k edition . Do you guys recommend this phone ?

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

For me the m8 has been a fantastic device so far, no complaints at all. I also think the hk color with the glossy black and gold speaker grills looks great.
  • Like 1

For me the m8 has been a fantastic device so far, no complaints at all. I also think the hk color with the glossy black and gold speaker grills looks great.

How do you guys like the phone ? I've been thinking on getting the h/k edition . Do you guys recommend this phone ?

Sent from my iCrap using Tapatalk

Now, as much as I love a limited edition phone, and a limited edition color scheme, the hk version didn't do it for me. Even with the nice headphones. I sat in a Sprint store for an hour with one in each hand. I found the hk to be too glossy, and a big fingerprint magnet. My gunmetal version never shows grease on the metal back which is awesome. Definitely go compare the two in person because online photos never do justice.
  • Like 1

Now, as much as I love a limited edition phone, and a limited edition color scheme, the hk version didn't do it for me. Even with the nice headphones. I sat in a Sprint store for an hour with one in each hand. I found the hk to be too glossy, and a big fingerprint magnet. My gunmetal version never shows grease on the metal back which is awesome. Definitely go compare the two in person because online photos never do justice.

It's all about personal preference but I like the look of the hk version slightly better than the gunmetal.