HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

GPS shouldn't affect the battery that much, I leave mines on high accuracy with no noticeable difference in battery performance.

For some reason it completely screwed my battery life. Day after I turned it back to battery savings my battery has been fine.

I see wakelock detector only works on rooted KitKat devices.  Damn.

I did notice that under Settings --> Location, it was turned to "on" but I don't remember what it was before.  I think it was "off" (or at least I wanted it to be) so I turned it to "off."  Doesn't seem to be making much difference.

GPS, NFC, and Bluetooth are all off.

Under Settings --> Power --> Usage, under "App Usage," the following are the highest:

1. Android OS (14%)
  2. Android System (11%)
  3. System UI (7%)

Under "Other Usage" these are the highest:

1. Wi-Fi (13%)
  2. Cell Standby (11%)
  3. Phone Idle (9%)

Does anything there look out of place?  The phone has mostly been sitting unused on my desk, connected to wifi.  Battery down to 81% about 4 hours after removal from the charger.

Cell Standby seems a bit high.  Any chance the cell towers near work and home are hosed up and causing extra battery drain?  I'm out of ideas.  What's so strange is that it was so great until about five days ago, then boom, everything tanked.

• Like 1

For some reason it completely screwed my battery life. Day after I turned it back to battery savings my battery has been fine.

Weird, but in your case it could also be a rogue app/process constantly using gps when it shouldn't be.  Even  with gps being on its not actually being used until something needs it.  I basically leave everything on, including bluetooth, and I can still make it through the day with moderate use.  One thing I do have a habit of doing though is performing a soft reset every single morning.  This is something I always did with windows mobile and its a habit I still continue to this day.  A soft reset a day keeps a lot of minor headaches away.

• Like 1

I see wakelock detector only works on rooted KitKat devices.  Damn.

I did notice that under Settings --> Location, it was turned to "on" but I don't remember what it was before.  I think it was "off" (or at least I wanted it to be) so I turned it to "off."  Doesn't seem to be making much difference.

GPS, NFC, and Bluetooth are all off.

Under Settings --> Power --> Usage, under "App Usage," the following are the highest:

1. Android OS (14%)
  2. Android System (11%)
  3. System UI (7%)

Under "Other Usage" these are the highest:

1. Wi-Fi (13%)
  2. Cell Standby (11%)
  3. Phone Idle (9%)

Does anything there look out of place?  The phone has mostly been sitting unused on my desk, connected to wifi.  Battery down to 81% about 4 hours after removal from the charger.

Cell Standby seems a bit high.  Any chance the cell towers near work and home are hosed up and causing extra battery drain?  I'm out of ideas.  What's so strange is that it was so great until about five days ago, then boom, everything tanked.

I don't know why I thought your m8 was rooted, anyway you should consider it.  Wakelock detector is a must for anyone that is rooted, it is a wonderful tool and will give you a lot more specific info into what could be wrong.  In the meantime though, you can use htc backup(which works surprisingly well) and do a hardreset and see if it continues to do the same thing.

I don't know why I thought your m8 was rooted, anyway you should consider it.  Wakelock detector is a must for anyone that is rooted, it is a wonderful tool and will give you a lot more specific info into what could be wrong.  In the meantime though, you can use htc backup(which works surprisingly well) and do a hardreset and see if it continues to do the same thing.

Thanks for the recommendations.  How hard is it to root?  Could you direct me to some instructions on how to do it?  I might do it if it's easy to do and carries little risk.

Thanks for the recommendations.  How hard is it to root?  Could you direct me to some instructions on how to do it?  I might do it if it's easy to do and carries little risk.

This is one of the best videos out there to follow:

Edit 1: make sure you back up using htc backup because the very first step is unlocking your bootloader and that automatically wipes the device.

Edit 2: You can also use this toolkit over on xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699065

Now this method is a lot easier but I would recommend you go with the youtube version so you can learn the basics of using adb.

• Like 1

Weird, but in your case it could also be a rogue app/process constantly using gps when it shouldn't be. Even with gps being on its not actually being used until something needs it. I basically leave everything on, including bluetooth, and I can still make it through the day with moderate use. One thing I do have a habit of doing though is performing a soft reset every single morning. This is something I always did with windows mobile and its a habit I still continue to this day. A soft reset a day keeps a lot of minor headaches away.

Just leaving it on high accuracy how much do you think it would battery it would use vs battery savings? I can make it well through the day with 30% left. I might try it on high accuracy for a few days and see if I notice a difference. I only use Bluetooth when I'm in my car for audio or when using my tone pros, just toggle it on/off.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Just leaving it on high accuracy how much do you think it would battery it would use vs battery savings? I can make it well through the day with 30% left. I might try it on high accuracy for a few days and see if I notice a difference. I only use Bluetooth when I'm in my car for audio or when using my tone pros, just toggle it on/off.

Sent from my HTC One M8

That's a tough question to answer being that we all use our devices differently but for me personally the difference wasn't substantial at all.

That's a tough question to answer being that we all use our devices differently but for me personally the difference wasn't substantial at all.

I'll try it for a day or few and see, another note I got some B25 some at my house witch is a good sign but haven't seen any b26 lately.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Anyone experiencing calls being answered in your pocket with their m8? I have the motion gestures enabled and wondering if the sensors are registering me walking as picking up the phone.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Edit 1: make sure you back up using htc backup because the very first step is unlocking your bootloader and that automatically wipes the device.

Edit 2: You can also use this toolkit over on xda: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2699065

Now this method is a lot easier but I would recommend you go with the youtube version so you can learn the basics of using adb.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.  I'm actually familiar with adb from developing Android apps, but I'll admit to being paranoid about bricking my phone, so I'm hoping to avoid that for now.

As an update for those who are watching at home:  I re-enabled the Sprint Connection Optimizer (disabling it didn't seem to help, but I left Location stuff off, even though the SCO wanted it on) and this time I actually turned the M8 all the way off and let it sit a few minutes before turning it back on, rather than just selecting "restart" from the shutdown menu.  I did that a few hours ago, and so far the battery drain seems to have abated.  It's not long enough to say, "Woo hoo!" but I'm hoping that whatever was causing the problems is now gone with the full shutdown.

Anyone experiencing calls being answered in your pocket with their m8? I have the motion gestures enabled and wondering if the sensors are registering me walking as picking up the phone.

If calls are being answered in your pocket while you are walking, you should say to your phone "Hey, can't you see I'm walkin' here?  I'm walkin' here!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c412hqucHKw

AJ

• Like 2

Just downloaded lte discovery app recommend by a friend and every time I try to open it it force closes, anyone else having this problem?

Sent from my HTC One M8

Just tried to be sure, no issues here. Try uninstalling and re installing.

Sent from my HTC M8

Just tried to be sure, no issues here. Try uninstalling and re installing.

Sent from my HTC M8

Tried that once I'll try it again.

Edit: still force closing in me. Maybe a update will fix it.

Edited by ghostkilla1388

Tried that once I'll try it again.

Edit: still force closing in me. Maybe a update will fix it.

Weird. I am unrooted, you?

Sent from my HTC M8

I can confirm that it is the update to the Sprint Connection Optimizer that is killing the battery.

Tjmm1Wgl.png

This was when my battery was at 21% after 10 hours of sitting on my desk at work doing nothing.

Same unrooted, nothing messed with at all ( my luck with rooting is me turning a evo 4g into a camp stove lol heat wise)

Sent from my HTC One M8

Just got an update for the app, still works. Maybe try the new version? Is your location stuff turned on? App might want it and crashes if it can't use location services.

Sent from my HTC M8

Just got an update for the app, still works. Maybe try the new version? Is your location stuff turned on? App might want it and crashes if it can't use location services.

Sent from my HTC M8

Update fixed it. Time to hunt more lte lol. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Well now my m8 is suddenly having issues connecting to 4G automatically. It works fine if I toggle airplane mode but it's sticking to 3g no matter what. This is in an area that has worked perfect for me since I got a 2nd m8 after a week of having a bad one. Hope this is a network issue in my area cause if it's another bad m8 I might have to go to the dark side.

I don't know how to force lte only mode, every time someone mentions it, no instructions are given on how to toggle that.

Also, I think we need to clarify some things. Is EVERYONE with spark phones having the same issues? That can't be right as there would be more noise made in the press.

This is not an issue of intermittent coverage for people like me, it's an issue of the phone turning into a complete brick, no lte, no 3g EVEN WHEN cdma ONLY mode is turned on, no calls (called support and lasted about 10s before it disconnected).

Is the nexus 5 having these issues? the htc one max? Just the m8? the m8 and the s5?

If just the last two the common theme seems to be the QUALCOMM 801 SoC, is there a defect with those radios where they spontaneously shut down and stop working? Is it REALLY just a tower thing where spontaneously all service stops working?

NOT JUST lte, 3g too, people keep saying switch it to 3g mode as if that restores service, that is NOT a solution, that is not what is happening, ALL SERVICE is stopped, no calls, no 3g, no lte, nothing. That could be a tower issue with just these phones, but no one seems to know for sure.

Who here is in the Los Angeles CA area with an m8? is your service still fine? mine was GREAT until yesterday, so its either a REGION WIDE tower setting issue, or a phone issue.

Have you tried running self activation again to see if that fixes it? It's not a bad radio, it's that firmware gets into a bad state causing the phone to roam and not connect to the network. I posted instructions earlier in this thread. That fixed my problem every time. I happened a few times during the first week I owned the phone, but hasn't happened in about a month now.

Martin

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk.

I can confirm that it is the update to the Sprint Connection Optimizer that is killing the battery.

Tjmm1Wgl.png

This was when my battery was at 21% after 10 hours of sitting on my desk at work doing nothing.

How did you access that "Use Details" screen?  I can't seem to find it.  I, too, was wondering if the Sprint Connection Optimizer was killing the battery.  Is there a fix?  Should I Force Stop it?  Uninstall? 

What version of SCO do you have?  Mine says 1.4.781.  A few days ago I had received a notification saying that there was a new version, but I fat fingered a button so I don't know if the update actually installed, and I don't know how to look for a new version.

I noticed the battery drain start happening with version 1.4.844, but it could be happening to you on your version as well. It may be related to band 26 becoming active in my area as well, but I'm not sure. This update and b26 happened within a day of each other so I couldn't find a difference.

As for the use details screen: Settings > Power > Usage > The App you want to see

I went and disabled SCO from the Automatic Connections menu under Mobile Data, and my battery life is significantly improved with no other changes. I've had my phone off the charger for 3 hours now, with the screen on for 15 minutes of that, and some texting/email, my battery is at 90% instead of the ~70% that it was at the same time before I turned off SCO.

Really weird behavior out of sensorley as of late. I get more wifi samples then either 4g or 3g even when I drive on highways with little local development. I have been able to repeat this behavior several times. Anybody else seeing this?