HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

My M8 doesn't seem to know any other band besides Band 41. I go outside and it switches to Spark immediately. It only switches to PCS when Band 41 is simply out of usable range which is around -115dbm or -120dbm. And even then, speeds are usually around 6Mbps.

• Like 1

so I got my M8 yesterday and got a 1x800 call right at the tower in Myrtle Beach but this morning I was right at the tower in Little River where I work and it used 1900 and this tower was one of the first in the area to get 1x800. I know the network can decide so I'm going with that but then I did a test. I went to the fringe area between 2 towers know to have 1x800 and it still connected to a horrible 1900 signal. I was watching the signal on signal check and as soon as it went to 1x800 I immediately made a phone call and it connected to the horrible 1900 signal. Anyone one experience this? I know they havent finished the upgrades in the area yet but theses 2 towers have been live for 3 months or so, not sure if that will have an effect or not. What's your experience with 1x800 in fringe areas? 

On a side note When I drove by a non upgraded site my phone didn't pick up the tower but today it did normally.

Horrible 1900 signal?  How was the quality of the actual call?

I have actually noticed this myself when in the Bronx and working in Manhattan myself that's how is that I was connecting to that was band 41 I'm only connecting at band 25 and I think it's because the signal is stronger and it doesn't she need a reason to kick up to the higher frequency!there are areas that I was getting band 41 that I'm not doing it anymore as of the past 2 weeks!

It really depends on where you go, and how long you wait in one location before moving on. You can pick up active B41 all down 5th avenue in Midtown, as long as you stand in one place for a while.

I guess staying in one place for a while is the key then. I was at El Malecon Restaurant on Broadway and 231st on Saturday night, spent the night around Baychester Ave and Boston Road and I was at the Javits Center on Sunday for the Auto Show, but not a single time did I pick up B41. Sucks, I was really looking forward to the trip so I can experience B41 LTE for the first time. :td:  

I guess staying in one place for a while is the key then. I was at El Malecon Restaurant on Broadway and 231st on Saturday night, spent the night around Baychester Ave and Boston Road and I was at the Javits Center on Sunday for the Auto Show, but not a single time did I pick up B41. Sucks, I was really looking forward to the trip so I can experience B41 LTE for the first time. :td:

I love that place. I went to El Malecon not too long ago.

• Like 1

I'm surprised at how much different the M8 is V. the S3. I work on a boat and as was able to hold a usable 3G signal much better and farther than the S3. Also it was much more responsive. I got 16 hrs out of the battery with decent usage so I'm happy with that. One thing I've noticed with both the M8 and S3 is that LTE doesn't travel anywhere near as far as 3G. Even only 2 miles out which is about the distance to a tower my phone stays on 3G. Tonight I was able to get a usable 3G signal 10 miles from shore. Also it never went to 1x800 but I don't think the towers I was connected to have it yet. Overall happy so far with the performance. 

I'm surprised at how much different the M8 is V. the S3. I work on a boat and as was able to hold a usable 3G signal much better and farther than the S3. Also it was much more responsive. I got 16 hrs out of the battery with decent usage so I'm happy with that. One thing I've noticed with both the M8 and S3 is that LTE doesn't travel anywhere near as far as 3G. Even only 2 miles out which is about the distance to a tower my phone stays on 3G. Tonight I was able to get a usable 3G signal 10 miles from shore. Also it never went to 1x800 but I don't think the towers I was connected to have it yet. Overall happy so far with the performance. 

Yeah, your lte signal is a bit more fragile than your 3g signal so generally the further away you are from the tower(or deep inside a building) the more likely you will end up being connected to 3g rather than 4g.  Also, not being able to connect to lte being just 2 miles from the tower probably has more to do with down-tilt of the panels or the general area you are located in.  In a city area, due to all the tall building etc... signal won't travel as far.  Compare this to when I am in St. Thomas for example,  I can be fishing 10 miles offshore and still pull lte all day long or even when blue marlin fishing 20+ miles offshore I am still pulling 3g(due to optimal down-tilt and direct line of sight to the tower).  So it really depends on a few factors

• Like 1

That restaurant is like  four blocks from me. My neighborhood I've noticed is going through another round of tower optimization so it doesn't kick to band 41 just parks on band 25. I've noticed 3 instances recently on my one max alone where I've gotten band 41 mostly in dense midtown. Places with strong band 25 haven't been as likely even if the tower is active. So its not a device issue just network right now I would say.

• Like 2

In other news, I got my replacement M8 today and it works flawlessly. No eCSFB issues at all like I thought, they were all device issues.

I actually haven't had to re-"self-activate" my phone in a few weeks.  There were definitely some issues before, but either the update or towers got updated, or phone learned from its prior mistakes. 

Just because nothing is perfect here are my issues with the M8.

I think somebody mentioned before about the auto brightness setting in direct sunlight. He was right. It seems as if the sensor has some calibration issues.

Swiping settings in the upper right hand corner is driving me crazy because my finger always brushes the camera and the metal before it hits glass. I know its nit picky but the feeling is a bit weird.

Probably more of a kitkat problem but I will have to go into my contacts online and merge/delete orphans and migrate some contacts that are missing.

Disappointed that the bokuh effect cannot be used if you zoomed into the picture.

Battery is not that impressive until you turn on the battery saver.

That's all I have

Speaking of the battery saver(this is a kudo) I took a bike ride today. Just over three hours with GPS, CardioTrainer, Sensorley and Music all running. I finished with 70% of the battery remaining. That's pretty impressive.

If you cant tell I love my M8!

Just because nothing is perfect here are my issues with the M8.

I think somebody mentioned before about the auto brightness setting in direct sunlight. He was right. It seems as if the sensor has some calibration issues.

Swiping settings in the upper right hand corner is driving me crazy because my finger always brushes the camera and the metal before it hits glass. I know its nit picky but the feeling is a bit weird.

Probably more of a kitkat problem but I will have to go into my contacts online and merge/delete orphans and migrate some contacts that are missing.

Disappointed that the bokuh effect cannot be used if you zoomed into the picture.

Battery is not that impressive until you turn on the battery saver.

That's all I have

Speaking of the battery saver(this is a kudo) I took a bike ride today. Just over three hours with GPS, CardioTrainer, Sensorley and Music all running. I finished with 70% of the battery remaining. That's pretty impressive.

If you cant tell I love my M8!

I wish I could turn on battery saver permanently without the status icon.  When I use it, I only enable the "slow down cpu" and "kill data when screen off" options which extends the battery enough for me.  

I found that most effects don't work when zoomed in, so I gave up on zoom and just crop photo later if needed.

The phone is a little too tall, but if they could shrink it vertically by removing the HTC logo, it'd be perfect.  I know they give excuse that there electronics under it, but obviously I'd assume some re-arranging can be done.  

I dont have any issue on attatchment, but happy to hear you found some B26. Where did you find it?

Greenville SC, still kinda in the "did I really see b26" but I have the screenshot that proves it. It was on b26 for maybe 10 seconds then went back to 3g, I knew something was different because I never get lte in my room(even others carriers Don't). Hope they turn b26 on so I can test it more I'm guessing they are just testing equipment and such.

Sent from my HTC One M8

Edited by ghostkilla1388
  • Like 1

Still can't figure out when I try to upload a pic on tapatalk it keeps saying "upload_too_big". On another note I've gotten B26 again and ran a speed test at got 12.6 down and 4.8 up on a -112 signal.

Sent from my HTC One M8

I get failure when uploading to S4GRU as an attachment, but NOT as image. What forum and what pic or screenshot? How large is the pic/screenshot?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I get failure when uploading to S4GRU as an attachment, but NOT as image. What forum and what pic or screenshot? How large is the pic/screenshot?

It's a screenshot of my B26 stuff I was going to post on the 800 forum and the Greenville area forum all day it's too big. But I've not had that issue with the G2, the screenshot is the resolution of the screen. I do click add as attachment not image, what's the difference?

Sent from my HTC One M8

It's a screenshot of my B26 stuff I was going to post on the 800 forum and the Greenville area forum all day it's too big. But I've not had that issue with the G2, the screenshot is the resolution of the screen. I do click add as attachment not image, what's the difference?

Sent from my HTC One M8

This is my M8 I'm posting from and image puts the image inline in the thread (displays large on Web but fine in Tapatalk), attachment is an attachment in the post. Oh, and one works and one doesn't. Lol

u7erugem.jpg

• Like 1

Just bought my wife a new HTC One M8 and she is not getting a usable network signal where her old GSIII worked great.  She was able to get 4g on her GSIII, but now no signal with her M8.  

Could it be the phone?