HTC One M8 User Thread

themuffinman

Hey everyone, new poster, but I've been lurking for a while.

I'm having connectivity issues with my new M8. When I first bought it, I had no trouble connecting to 4G LTE & I was so surprised about how fast LTE was & how I was getting it everywhere I went: traveling to work, traveling downtown, at school, at home, at work. But for the past few days, I've been roaming and I've been getting shoddy 3G. I even live in a Sprint Spark location: Jacksonville, Fl- does anyone have any clue with what's going on & what I can do to fix it?

Edited by hachsa

I'm having connectivity issues with my new M8. When I first bought it, I had no trouble connecting to 4G LTE & I was so surprised about how fast LTE was & how I was getting it everywhere I went: traveling to work, traveling downtown, at school, at home, at work. But for the past few days, I've been roaming and I've been getting shoddy 3G. I even live in a Sprint Spark location: Jacksonville, Fl- does anyone have any clue with what's going on & what I can do to fix it?

My 3g is jacked too, along with dropped calls galore. About 15 tonight alone. I was under the impression that csfb only affects loss of lte so I'm very confused now. Starting to think I need to get a new device.

Happening to me too. I called Sprint and they said it's a site problem that bring fixed. Maybe it's not my site at all. If I take out and put back in the SIM, do I have to call Sprint to reactivate it?

Happening to me too. I called Sprint and they said it's a site problem that bring fixed. Maybe it's not my site at all. If I take out and put back in the SIM, do I have to call Sprint to reactivate it?

Nope, not at all.

I don't believe there is any SIM in the phone.  SIM's are for GSM.

I stand corrected, it does use one for LTE.

Having issues here too, non Spark market.  Do you ever have an error message pop up?  Paynefanbro and myself have both seen an LTE error message I posted a few pages back.  I have turned off the connection optimizer or whatever Sprint is calling it and I'm going to clear LTE available file in ##DATA# and see if it makes any difference.

Sprint is blaming it on a tower but I'm not convinced that's it as I connected to that tower every weekday with my Nexus 5 and never had an issue.  They state the "tower is reporting low numbers and will be reported to the network team" whatever that means.

Last night I got the error "Unable to establish a wireless data connection. LTE: EMM-0"

This morning on the way to work I set my phone to LTE Only and what do you know! I connected to LTE! Unfortunately I never was able to transfer any data :/  It stayed connected to LTE it didn't switch off, the little icon never spun and I never go to open google.com or whatever it was I was trying to test it with. 

The only I'm going to truly know if it's the network or my phone is by driving an hour and a half to a city that definitely has CSFB installed. Freaking sucks.

Does anyone know how to force the M8 to LTE only? maybe i have missed it.

Enter *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer.  Select Phone information from the menu that pops up, then scroll down and you'll see a 'Set preferred network type' option.  Tap the dropdown and select LTE Only.

Does anyone know how to force the M8 to LTE only? maybe i have missed it.

go into the phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* then press "Phone information" then scroll down a little bit. About halfway down there is an option to "set preferred network type" and right below that you can touch whatever it says and a pulldown appears that you can scroll through. towards the bottom is LTE only.

edit: beat me to it jorge!

Edited by mhuling

Enter *#*#4636#*#* on the dialer.  Select Phone information from the menu that pops up, then scroll down and you'll see a 'Set preferred network type' option.  Tap the dropdown and select LTE Only.

go into the phone dialer and dial *#*#4636#*#* then press "Phone information" then scroll down a little bit. About halfway down there is an option to "set preferred network type" and right below that you can touch whatever it says and a pulldown appears that you can scroll through. towards the bottom is LTE only.

edit: beat me to it jorge!

thank you both!

I have added this to my running list of dialer commands.  :D

Edited by kc5gtz

Well this morning my site is pulling eHRPD data now instead of 1x. Hopefully tomorrow LTE will be back up and running again. The signal still drops every so often but it'll be nice if I'm able to make calls from home again.

It seems thatvwhoevwebis fixing my site, is trying to do 800MHz CDMA at the same time. Last night SignakCheck kept reporting that my phone was switching to 800 and switching back to PCS after a few seconds.

Last night I got the error "Unable to establish a wireless data connection. LTE: EMM-0"

This morning on the way to work I set my phone to LTE Only and what do you know! I connected to LTE! Unfortunately I never was able to transfer any data :/  It stayed connected to LTE it didn't switch off, the little icon never spun and I never go to open google.com or whatever it was I was trying to test it with. 

The only I'm going to truly know if it's the network or my phone is by driving an hour and a half to a city that definitely has CSFB installed. Freaking sucks.

I've had this happening all day yesterday in San Jose.  When I went back to San Francisco, the problem cleared up.  This morning, the problem persisted back in San Jose, so I took the phone to a store.  She did some internal software update - not sure which one - as well as PRL/data updates and phone slowly started working again.  

I suspect the phone gets into a bad state when there's a tower issue - whether it's eCSFB upgrade, general downtime, etc.

One strange thing is that when phone starts roaming, it can't complete calls or send/receive SMSs.  And I don't know what it takes to get it out that bad state besides going far to a different market.  I'd suspect there'll be a software update for this quite shortly.

• Like 1

On my way home I definitely connected to LTE much more than I have since I got the m8, but the actual data coming through was spotty at best. I never could finish a complete speed test, it was coming and going.

No connection issues today and no LTE: EMM-65535 messages.  No idea if it was something Sprint did on their end since I complained about a specific tower or if it's because I cleared the LTE available file and turned off the connection optimizer.  Either way I have been much happier with my new phone today.  I would say it's worth trying what I did if you are having issues.

No connection issues today and no LTE: EMM-65535 messages. No idea if it was something Sprint did on their end since I complained about a specific tower or if it's because I cleared the LTE available file and turned off the connection optimizer. Either way I have been much happier with my new phone today. I would say it's worth trying what I did if you are having issues.

What's the lte file you're speaking of?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

After almost a week of testing, the M8 on Band 25 performs poorly compared to S4.  S4 at many places can pick up usable LTE which the M8 will connect but drop off to 3G. Love the build quality but since I am in San Diego, won't see Spark or 800Mhz. Returning M8 and here comes S5 on the 11th.   :tu:

• Like 1

After almost a week of testing, the M8 on Band 25 performs poorly compared to S4. S4 at many places can pick up usable LTE which the M8 will connect but drop off to 3G. Love the build quality but since I am in San Diego, won't see Spark or 800Mhz. Returning M8 and here comes S5 on the 11th. :tu:

So you are experiencing the same issues i did with my htc one (m7) compared to my gs3/4 & G2.

After almost a week of testing, the M8 on Band 25 performs poorly compared to S4.  S4 at many places can pick up usable LTE which the M8 will connect but drop off to 3G. Love the build quality but since I am in San Diego, won't see Spark or 800Mhz. Returning M8 and here comes S5 on the 11th.   :tu:

I am sitting on -105 to -109 on the M8.  S4 sitting on -95 to -99.  That is near 10db.  HTC M8 on the RF department on Band 25 has failed.  The M8 RF on Band 25 is similar to the origin HTC EVO LTE.  This is from my test and the M8 build quality will surely be missed! 

Would be nice if damn Samsung can build some nice quality body for the S5.  I'll suck it up for better LTE signal on S4/S5.  The boom sound on the HTC is freakin nice too.  Blew away all my co-workers phones.  

Overall I am very happy with the M8, but since no 800 or Spark anytime soon, HTC M8 performs poorly on Band 25.