Sprint Wifi Calling

Ryan

Now wouldnt it make sense if sprint used wifi calling like tmobile? Instead of using femtocells they could use wifi, cut costs down and fill in some major coverage gaps that they currently have. Like for instance, i live in yuma, az (podunk desert mountain town lol) that gets decent coverage in all the towns and cities and along MOST of the major fareways. But i work at yuma proving grounds (army military testing site in the middle of the desert, with little to zero urban encroachment) and i get no coverage. The only carrier that gives GOOD coverage here is verizon. Why do you guys think the major three carriers dont provide for wifi calling?

The only thing that i can think of is MONEY. They want to make subsidies of femtocell devices, and charge for the monthly use of them. Tmobile uses it, but tmobile sucks and thats just the way the cookie crumbles. I like sprint (mostly cause their main color is yellow and i LOVE their symbol) and they are the one of the few companies that are pro consumer.

thoughts? :)

Edited by Ryan
  • Like 1

Now wouldnt it make sense if sprint used wifi calling like tmobile? Instead of using femtocells they could use wifi, cut costs down and fill in some major coverage gaps that they currently have. Like for instance, i live in yuma, az (podunk desert mountain town lol) that gets decent coverage in all the towns and cities and along MOST of the major fareways. But i work at yuma proving grounds (army military testing site in the middle of the desert, with little to zero urban encroachment) and i get no coverage. The only carrier that gives GOOD coverage here is verizon. Why do you guys think the major three carriers dont provide for wifi calling?

The only thing that i can think of is MONEY. They want to make subsidies of femtocell devices, and charge for the monthly use of them. Tmobile uses it, but tmobile sucks and thats just the way the cookie crumbles. I like sprint (mostly cause their main color is yellow and i LOVE their symbol) and they are the one of the few companies that are pro consumer.

thoughts? :)

There already is Wi-Fi calling using one of the various apps out there on the market. Wi-Fi calling is not very good quality in comparison to what Sprint offers with CDMA. Unfortunately, people on the borders of calling area have to choose their provider wisely because there is not that much incentive for a carrier to install all the equipment for a few additional subscribers. Military bases are notorious for poor coverage because the training areas are vast expanses of uninhabited space. Carriers don't want to put up a tower in a place with no permanent residents and I'm pretty sure military bases don't want the carriers putting up towers in their training areas either.

not sure what you meant about being irrational. but i wasnt talking about voip, just wifi calling like tmobile offers.

i was just trying to start a conversation about a subject, i guess ill try not to be "irrational" about it lol :)

not sure what you meant about being irrational. but i wasnt talking about voip, just wifi calling like tmobile offers.

i was just trying to start a conversation about a subject, i guess ill try not to be "irrational" about it lol

Wi-Fi calling would absolutely be voip. They just offer a free voip app because they have the worst coverage of any nationwide carrier. As I said before, there are voip apps out there in the market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

not sure what you meant about being irrational. but i wasnt talking about voip' date=' just wifi calling like tmobile offers.

i was just trying to start a conversation about a subject, i guess ill try not to be "irrational" about it lol :)[/quote']

Duffman is just seeing red flags in your comment. Its all too often that someone starts out with the tone of your thread then goes into some berzerker tangent or goes into flame mode.

So definitely don't be offended by his comment, but don't go bat shit crazy on us either. ;)

:lol:

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

• Like 1

not sure what you meant about being irrational. but i wasnt talking about voip' date=' just wifi calling like tmobile offers.

i was just trying to start a conversation about a subject, i guess ill try not to be "irrational" about it lol :)[/quote']

Wi-Fi calling would absolutely be voip. They just offer a free voip app because they have the worst coverage of any nationwide carrier. As I said before' date=' there are voip apps out there in the market.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk[/quote']

Yes, WiFi calling is a form of VoIP. However, it would be a good solution for a lot of people. Not as a substitute for an Airave in the home. But its great for those workplaces where people cannot install an Airave, but they do have WiFi.

i totally understand where he is coming from. i wasnt trying to go on a tangent. i love sprint as a company, i guess its just the way i talk. im gay so i tend to exaggerate when i speak or talk. so my apologies :)

i totally understand where he is coming from. i wasnt trying to go on a tangent. i love sprint as a company, i guess its just the way i talk. im gay so i tend to exaggerate when i speak or talk. so my apologies :)

Actually, I think it's more that the desert heat has melted your brain once too many. That happens to me all the time, and it's worse in the summertime.

And as for wi-fi calling like T-Mobile HotSpot @ Home, Sprint chose to integrate Google Voice for people who wanted to receive calls outside of their cell phone to save on minutes. It does take some getting used to. I tried once but really didn't want to give up my Google Voice number and didn't have the extra money to pay for it.

This is not a stereotype I am familiar with. And I thought I knew them all! :wavey:

Robert

i totally understand where he is coming from. i wasnt trying to go on a tangent. i love sprint as a company' date=' i guess its just the way i talk. im gay so i tend to exaggerate when i speak or talk. so my apologies :)[/quote']

My daughter is gay but very reserved. I am not sure that is linked sexual identity. Lol.

I am all for looking at Sprint critically and do not think they are any better or worse than the others. I just do not want this place to end up as another place where people just complain about how evil Sprint is. After all, there are already places for that like sprint.com.

Sorry about jumping you. I am a bit edgy lately.

• Like 1

lol

Not in a million years would I have thought I would see gay being brought up in this forum, nor that being a gay person would lead to exaggerating. lol

I guess there is a first for everything. lol

and for the record I'm gay too.

anyway, back on topic. WiFi calling?. again, learn something new everyday, never heard that term before. interesting.

TS

• Like 1

i know wifi calling is voip. but to me it just seems like it would be more cost efficient for any carrier including sprint to subsitute a wifi hotspot for coverage, instead of using femtocells. it just seems like both parties would win. the carrier and the consumer, ya know?

i know wifi calling is voip. but to me it just seems like it would be more cost efficient for any carrier including sprint to subsitute a wifi hotspot for coverage, instead of using femtocells. it just seems like both parties would win. the carrier and the consumer, ya know?

It is more cost efficient, however, it depends on the customers home internet connection. I rely on Clear when I'm in California, and I rely on my neighbors wifi router to access his internet when I am home (at&t is a crappy company). I don't have the ability to use a landline based broadband connection to have the service, although I would love it if I could. If I had DSL, I would have an Airave in a heart beat.

lol

Not in a million years would I have thought I would see gay being brought up in this forum, nor that being a gay person would lead to exaggerating. lol

I guess there is a first for everything. lol

and for the record I'm gay too.

anyway, back on topic. WiFi calling?. again, learn something new everyday, never heard that term before. interesting.

TS

I grew up being an over-exaggerating person.

Cellular phone calling is about 150 ms lag, which is pretty bad already (2 cell phones then is 300 ms)

Wifi calling tends to be double that, and makes for a bad to terrible experience...1/2 second and longer delays piss people off. Also wifi calling often has volume issues, and the higher latency results in echo and bigger echo cancellation problems.

Edited by strung

I'm not sure it has to be that way. I use Broadvoice VOIP at home and often run 200ms pings and it works great. You would think that if someone had WiFi in the 200ms ping range or better, they would be able to devise something that worked well with that.

I'm not sure it has to be that way. I use Broadvoice VOIP at home and often run 200ms pings and it works great. You would think that if someone had WiFi in the 200ms ping range or better, they would be able to devise something that worked well with that.

That's interesting and I was thinking about that. Maybe in New Mexico you are a lot closer to the POTS termination. That POTS termination is like long distance lag in addition to the internet lag. I think in Minnesota I've got the latency to the data center, plus the POTS network latency on top of that...gets pretty high, I suspect data centers are on west/east coast. Maybe near the coasts it's better. Just a hunch. But I've tried many VoIP sprint, tmobile, a few other voip providers and Airrave in MN on a fast low lag conneciton and its been noticably bad for voice calls -- not just me but the people on the other end basically say "i can't talk to you over this connection"!

Edited by strung
  • Like 1

That's interesting and I was thinking about that. Maybe in New Mexico you are a lot closer to the POTS termination. That POTS termination is like long distance lag in addition to the internet lag. I think in Minnesota I've got the latency to the data center, plus the POTS network latency on top of that...gets pretty high, I suspect data centers are on west/east coast. Maybe near the coasts it's better. Just a hunch. But I've tried many VoIP sprint, tmobile, a few other voip providers and Airrave in MN on a fast low lag conneciton and its been noticably bad for voice calls -- not just me but the people on the other end basically say "i can't talk to you over this connection"!

I think it is dependant on the connection, router, and phone. I have done speed tests with Wi-Fi on my phone and had 17ms pings and I am also in mn.

My ping to the SIP/RTP server had been under 40ms (one way would be 1/2 that, or 20ms then) and when I used a VoIP adapter I set the buffer to 10ms the minimum. Yet VoIP voice lag was still about 300ms (one way) or about double that of a cell phone. That means VoIP was adding about 270ms somehow, after traversing the internet to the VoIP terminal. Yuck. I never measured with airrave/tmobile but subjectively it felt about the same using the "click test", just call yourself on a landline (so hold one phone up to each ear), and "click"/pop your mouth in one end, and you can get a good feel the lag. If you use google voice try adding that into the mix too for fun, GV adds another 130ms lag on top :)

Edited by strung

Yeah. I never thought it all the way through the process. Now I remember using a voip on my tablet and the lag was awful. But we had a voip home line and it had very little, if any, lag. At least I never noticed.