iOS 7.1 update available

Steven800

Thanks. That's quite the big modem firmware update. I wish I knew where to look to see what's all included. Anyone see any reception improvements since the 7.1 update?

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5S using Tapatalk 2

Nope :(

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's quite the big modem firmware update. I wish I knew where to look to see what's all included. Anyone see any reception improvements since the 7.1 update?

I'm having a hard time finding a changelog for 2.18.02 or bundle 16.0. Maybe they're too new.

I'm having a hard time finding a changelog for 2.18.02 or bundle 16.0. Maybe they're too new.

Sorry, translate that to English for me? Could this also include prioritizing 800 voice?

Sorry, translate that to English for me? Could this also include prioritizing 800 voice?

As far as I know, 1x800 is restricted only by the PRL. The Carrier Bundle contains optimizations for data performance with the network.

A changelog is a developers list of all the new changes/additions. And as far as 800 voice prioritization, only a new prl would handle that.

• Like 1

Welp, I've decided to lose my jailbreak and update my 5s, I figured that if I can't install a new PRL then why use a jailbreak that I don't really take advantage of? Ah well, here's to hoping that I don't encounter the bug that a bunch of people are experiencing where the Touch ID gets disabled permanately...

-Anthony

• Like 1

Welp, I've decided to lose my jailbreak and update my 5s, I figured that if I can't install a new PRL then why use a jailbreak that I don't really take advantage of? Ah well, here's to hoping that I don't encounter the bug that a bunch of people are experiencing where the Touch ID gets disabled permanately...

-Anthony

I was not aware of that bug....thanks for warning me against something I can't prevent lol

• Like 1

Haha no problem. Luckily my Touch ID seems to be working fine. If any of us were experiencing the bug, we would know the first time we tried to use Touch ID.

-Anthony

However, my screen is doing this weird thing when unlocking the phone. I did manage get a screenshot of it after numerous tries. Posted Image

• Like 1

However, my screen is doing this weird thing when unlocking the phone. I did manage get a screenshot of it after numerous tries. Posted Image

Very odd. Maybe it's some kind of animation built in?

So what if your Touch ID stops working? You get a new phone from apple. I took my 5s in to an apple store today because my power button wasn't "clicky" anymore and kind of flat. Walked out with a brand new phone which was unexpected.

• Like 2

One thing I've noticed regarding the new update is my signal bars switch to reflect voice signal almost immediately after pressing send. It used to take exactly 10 seconds to change from LTE to voice bars.

So I jumped on iOS 7.1 last night. I'll be glad if there are no soft crashes anymore, and I'm hoping that things will start working better overall, my phone really likes fringe LTE, but that's ok.

• Like 2

Just noticed that when your phone is on vibrate, and you are in a message window and receive a message, instead of doing the normal vibration it does a little tiny baby vibration.

Nice touch. Battery saver too.

• Like 1

So I jumped on iOS 7.1 last night. I'll be glad if there are no soft crashes anymore, and I'm hoping that things will start working better overall, my phone really likes fringe LTE, but that's ok.

Definitely let us know whether the updates help with voice or data!  I'm wondering whether that radio update will get us better reception, the ability to use 800, etc.  (Regarding 800, I know we need an updated PRL to really take advantage of it, but I have NEVER seem my phone use it...it will roam or say no signal sometimes but I've never seen it actually grab an 800 signal...so I have this conspiracy theory type suspicion that 800 isn't even enabled in the radio though of course I have no real data to support it.)

Marc

Definitely let us know whether the updates help with voice or data! I'm wondering whether that radio update will get us better reception, the ability to use 800, etc. (Regarding 800, I know we need an updated PRL to really take advantage of it, but I have NEVER seem my phone use it...it will roam or say no signal sometimes but I've never seen it actually grab an 800 signal...so I have this conspiracy theory type suspicion that 800 isn't even enabled in the radio though of course I have no real data to support it.)

Marc

I know for a fact that 1x800 works on the 5S because I picked it up going east on 58 heading out of Bakersfield not long before it was accepted by Sprint. I'm going to jailbreak my iPhone 5 now that it's out of warranty and put a different PRL on it and test it out and see if I get 800 voice.

It's a fact that the 5/5s/5c can receive band class 10. The problem is that it's really hard for us to check this info. Being on a call, add a call, *3001.... It gets annoying. I don't even look anymore because I know pcs is so prevalent in Chicago that I'm never more than half a mile from a tower. Then again, if I'm ever deep in a basement somewhere, I'll check.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Since there was an ios update today, I have noticed a change in my battery life. I have about 7 hours 40 mins on my current charge and still have 31% left. Compared to yesterday with only 5-6 hours of usage and needing to plug it in. Anyone else ?

Any carrier or modem firmware updates with 7.1.1? Anyone notice better performance on Sprint network with this update? I doubt it, but you never know...

Nothing new for iPad modem, still 6.02.00

Haven't updated my iPhone yet. 7.1 modem is 2.18.02

Nothing new for iPad modem, still 6.02.00

Haven't updated my iPhone yet. 7.1 modem is 2.18.02

Yeah everything is the same on my 5S with 7.1.1 on it.

-Anthony

• Like 1

I hope the new update helps with battery life. Ever since the 7.1 update last month it seems my iPad battery is nearly half what it used to be. I downloaded 7.1.1 last night. So far I have only dropped 2% since I unplugged last night around 6.

• Like 1

I hope the new update helps with battery life. Ever since the 7.1 update last month it seems my iPad battery is nearly half what it used to be. I downloaded 7.1.1 last night. So far I have only dropped 2% since I unplugged last night around 6.

Agreed. I'll test out the battery life today at home. While my iPad wasn't having any issues with battery life, I felt like my phone was dying way to fast for being at home, and connected to wifi with a full signal. So far I am at 30 mins and an hour of standby with normal usage and still at 100%. 

Also: apparently they improved touch ID again. "With iOS 7.1.1 Apple now takes multiple scans of each position you place finger at setup instead of a single one and uses algorithms to predict potential errors that could arise in the future. Touch ID was supposed to gradually improve accuracy with every scan but the problem was if you didn't scan well on setup it would ruin your experience until you re-setup your finger. iOS 7.1.1 not only removes that problem and increases accuracy but also greatly reduces the calculations your iPhone 5S had to make while unlocking the device which means you should get a much faster unlock time.

"