Netgear 4G LTE Router Gateway/New Plans

mrknowitall526

Day 6 on Netgear 6100D using SIM Card SIMGLT207R from NOVATEL MIFI Device, so both devices working, Novatel on 3G, Netgear on 4G. if it holds I will explain, but this is great sign for us! This same SIM card is available in the Samsung S4 Mini.

Here are some tear down pictures of the Netgear 6100D

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/1.jpg - Entire Board

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/2.jpg - 2.4 Ghz wifi card, did not affect the 5Ghz AC when I removed the connectors

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/3.jpg - Main Board

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/4.jpg - 4G Card Top, when i disconnected the lower PCI Express card (3G Card I assume) I was not able to connect to the internet and even when I connect the card back without the antenna leads I still could not get back on to LTE. Interesting.

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/5.jpg - 2.4 Ghz wifi card

http://4gantennashop.com/netgear/6.jpg - Backside of board

• Like 1

Okay so Day 9 on this test. And I played with the SIM card trying it in another device which did not work. However that threw off the programming on my device and made it not work, so lesson to be learned if you do this project, do not ever take the SIM out to put in something else as it will fail and will also make your gateway fail as well. All is well now, had to swap, reprogram device, swap back to mifi keeping the SIM # the same as the gateway and magic. :) Back on!

Testing with a 24x16 Parabolic Grid - 60ft of RG-6 Dual Shield, 2 Barrel Adapters in the line.

Band 25 -77 - 13D-8U (Highest I have ever seen on Band 25 in this area)

Band 26 -81 - 18D-10U

Band 41 -87 - 31D-14U

More info just PM me.

• Like 2

Okay so Day 9 on this test. And I played with the SIM card trying it in another device which did not work. However that threw off the programming on my device and made it not work, so lesson to be learned if you do this project, do not ever take the SIM out to put in something else as it will fail and will also make your gateway fail as well. All is well now, had to swap, reprogram device, swap back to mifi keeping the SIM # the same as the gateway and magic. :) Back on!

Testing with a 24x16 Parabolic Grid - 60ft of RG-6 Dual Shield, 2 Barrel Adapters in the line.

Band 25 -77 - 13D-8U (Highest I have ever seen on Band 25 in this area)

Band 26 -81 - 18D-10U

Band 41 -87 - 31D-14U

More info just PM me.

Spectacular! I wonder if a parabolic may work with a network extender? I have the Wilson sleek 4g and am just trying to find other ways to employ it.

Spectacular! I wonder if a parabolic may work with a network extender? I have the Wilson sleek 4g and am just trying to find other ways to employ it.

Of course it will... Just choose SMA adapter on your wire choice.

Here is a checkout discount code for you to save some money on your purchase> XXCC5PERX

Robert 4gantennashop.com

• Like 1

That's some serious antenna mod you have going on there. It seems that you modify all these devices the way they should have been made in the first place, Sprint/Netgear should hire you to design their products.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Dang man you got enough antennas there?

What are your results with the new antennas?  Better signal?  Or what did you add the antennas for?

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a random question... but do you think Sprint will do an Easy Pay credit with this again? I really want to replace my Sierra 250U USB modem with this... but I know this has had Easy Pay discounts/credits before and I'd really like to get it when that's going on. 

• 1 month later...

Hello fellow sprinters ;)

I recently purchased a 6100D myself. I have a couple questions and I'm looking for a couple suggestions.

My nearest tower is five miles away and has band 25/26 LTE installed. I'm using an external parabolic antenna that gets me between -95 and -97 rsrp. I'm locked in on band 25.

Is there any screen in the 6100D that will allow me to see what my current band 26 signal is at?

I'm planning on doing some antenna mast upgrades this spring to help clear a hill and obtain direct los to the tower. Would it be advantageous to get an antenna geared for band 26?

Thanks for the great forum

I don't have my 6100D in operation anymore, so I am going by memory. Open the router manager screen in your browser (I think it's http://myrouter). Click "about" in the upper right corner, on the screen that loads scroll down and click "view details" under Network Status. All details will be there. The router will only connect to one band at a time in the following priority: B41>B25>B26. The Calamp antenna picks up B25 and B41, not sure about B26 though as I do not have B26 active in my area.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I'll give that another look. For some reason I thought it only displayed the stats of the currently connected band which for me is always band 25.

Did you find a better option?

I like the unit overall. It's definitely cleaner than having a usb modem hanging off a router. WiFi is very speedy.

I do have strange issues with a couple applications when on 4G. My VPN will disconnect intermittently, and an old online game called everquest locks up and crashes when moving from one area of the game world to another. If I put the router in 3G mode the programs work fine.

I'll give that another look. For some reason I thought it only displayed the stats of the currently connected band which for me is always band 25.

Did you find a better option?

I like the unit overall. It's definitely cleaner than having a usb modem hanging off a router. WiFi is very speedy.

I do have strange issues with a couple applications when on 4G. My VPN will disconnect intermittently, and an old online game called everquest locks up and crashes when moving from one area of the game world to another. If I put the router in 3G mode the programs work fine.

It only displays info for the band currently connected to, I might have misread your post. Since it only connects to one band at a time in any given moment, it would be impossible to get info on all three bands at once. I've never had problems with it, other than a loss of connection every couple of days which required a reboot.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Is the mobile broadband plan discountable?

I don't think any "data only" plans can get discounts. But possibly with Marcelo saying new plans are coming, that might change. As of now though, no.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to post an update on this product.

Once you have the MSL code you can go into the advanced network setup where it allows you to disable/prioritize different bands.

Unfortunately this submenu appears completely broken and useless to me on this device.  I've been reading how band 26 was supposed to be the best thing next to sliced bread for penetration and propagations so I purchased a grid antenna that is specifically tuned to 806Mhz to 896Mhz.  I went into the menu and set band 26 to priority 1, band 41 to priority 2 (I don't have it on my tower anyways), and band 25 to priority 3.

I still connect to band 25!  Band 25 does not have the option to be disabled like the other two bands, but the router still locks on band 25 even when dropped to 3rd.  They REALLY want you to use band 25.  They only time I've been able to get band 26 is when using the supplied small antennas.  If this router even sniffs band 25 you will trump band 26.

I have no idea how it functions in the presence of band 41.  It looks like I need to purchase an antenna specifically targeted to band 25 to get the best performance possible.

I wanted to post an update on this product.

Once you have the MSL code you can go into the advanced network setup where it allows you to disable/prioritize different bands.

Unfortunately this submenu appears completely broken and useless to me on this device. I've been reading how band 26 was supposed to be the best thing next to sliced bread for penetration and propagations so I purchased a grid antenna that is specifically tuned to 806Mhz to 896Mhz. I went into the menu and set band 26 to priority 1, band 41 to priority 2 (I don't have it on my tower anyways), and band 25 to priority 3.

I still connect to band 25! Band 25 does not have the option to be disabled like the other two bands, but the router still locks on band 25 even when dropped to 3rd. They REALLY want you to use band 25. They only time I've been able to get band 26 is when using the supplied small antennas. If this router even sniffs band 25 you will trump band 26.

I have no idea how it functions in the presence of band 41. It looks like I need to purchase an antenna specifically targeted to band 25 to get the best performance possible.

You cannot force your device to stay on one band. The network decides for you. You are changing scan priorities, not parking priority. There are a few devices out there that let you turn off bands, but they are rare.

The network will not allow connections to B26 after it passes a certain threshold. It tries to maintain the last of its capacity for people out of B25 range. A B25 antenna may help.

Using Moto X² on Tapatalk

• Like 1

I still connect to band 25!

You're only changing the first scan priorities. The network decides what band to put you on right after that initial scan. Band 26 was never meant to be used for anything other than a coverage expander, and offloading capacity in certain circumstances. It will always be 3rd in priority, with 41 being first. The only device that can override this is the HTC M8, because you can actually enable/disable all 3 sprint LTE bands.

Sent from my iPhone 6+

• Like 1

Thank you for that information.  That is really helpful to know.

Just a practical question.  What is the point of even allowing the reprioritization of the scanning order if it's going to scan all two or three bands anyways, and then park you where it wants?

Thank you for that information.  That is really helpful to know.

Just a practical question.  What is the point of even allowing the reprioritization of the scanning order if it's going to scan all two or three bands anyways, and then park you where it wants?

Tell me about it...its like taking a crow bar to the olecranon process. Ouch!

• 3 years later...

I agree, build your own. Sierra Wireless modem with a USB enclosure for it will let you use any router that supports Openwrt basically. I'm using one with a Netgear R7800 and it works very well.

The Sierra Wireless MC7455 has a bug that causes it to disconnect 1-2 times a day that may be fixed in the newest driver (I'll know for sure within a couple days), but is the only one that supports B25. They have other modems that don't have this issue, but lack B25. If you don't need B25, get a model that does 3xCA B41.

Check out the ROOTer firmware (build of openwrt with mods for LTE modems) https://www.ofmodemsandmen.com the developer is almost done with a new build using the latest openwrt, and you can get the pre-release builds on their forum thread (might be required for some routers). He seems willing to add any routers not listed as long as they work with openwrt.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I need one that can use an outdoor directional antenna.

Does this Sierra modem support wiring an antenna?

How would I activate this on Sprint?

Would I just take a SIM out of a Hotspot and place in to the Sierra modem, or would I need to work with Sprint to get it working?

Thanks for the help. I'm looking for a backup internet solution, where I can throttle the speed at which the data is used.

10 hours ago, Bob Newhart said:

I need one that can use an outdoor directional antenna.

Does this Sierra modem support wiring an antenna?

Yes

How would I activate this on Sprint?

Would I just take a SIM out of a Hotspot and place in to the Sierra modem, or would I need to work with Sprint to get it working?

Yes they are hot swap capable. No need to call Sprint, in fact they wouldn't know what to do with it.

Thanks for the help. I'm looking for a backup internet solution, where I can throttle the speed at which the data is used.

Check out the build your own section, I post a few there. I have about 4 of them set up right now and have about 20 of em out in the wild I have sold.

• Like 1