Airave killing my battery?

jamisonshaw125

Ever since I've got this airave my phone battery does like crazy. Since my full charge , 36 mins of usage and 1 hour 10 minutes of standby and I have 84%....

Any one else experience this issue? Maybe it's cause it's an iphone lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ever since I've got this airave my phone battery does like crazy. Since my full charge , 36 mins of usage and 1 hour 10 minutes of standby and I have 84%....

I'm at 79% after 9 hours of standby and 1 hour 45 minutes of usage :P

Anyways, I had originally gotten an airave because my signal in my home (pre-Network Vision) fluctuated too much, so my phones battery would drain (I also dropped calls left and right). The airave did solve my battery/call problems, but once NV became substantially complete in my area, the airave did more bad then good because my phone would keep bouncing between the airave and the macro network, which caused even more battery problems.

My sister left for college and the signal in her dorm room isn't very good, so she now has the airave. I haven't had a problem at home ever since we unplugged it.

How complete is NV in your area? If you were to unplug your airave, would you be able to call and text okay?

-Anthony

I'm at 79% after 9 hours of standby and 1 hour 45 minutes of usage :P

Anyways, I had originally gotten an airave because my signal in my home (pre-Network Vision) fluctuated too much, so my phones battery would drain (I also dropped calls left and right). The airave did solve my battery/call problems, but once NV became substantially complete in my area, the airave did more bad then good because my phone would keep bouncing between the airave and the macro network, which caused even more battery problems.

My sister left for college and the signal in her dorm room isn't very good, so she now has the airave. I haven't had a problem at home ever since we unplugged it.

How complete is NV in your area? If you were to unplug your airave, would you be able to call and text okay?

-Anthony

Just dropped to 80%. Plugging in before I go to class tonight or I'll have no battery. I have noticed that it switches between I am assuming, the airave and the nearest tower frequently. ( I notice it drop from 5 bars, down to 1 or 2.) Without the airave my coverage is limited. I have absolutely 0 data service, and when I make a phone call there is a 95% chance the call will drop. Unfortunately, it seems that even with the airave I am suffering from bad coverage in my apartment complex. iPhones must not be as friendly with an airave as androids are. 

So I have to compromise with having my phone die 20% in less than 2 hours while hardly using it, or deal with dropping calls when I actually make a call. I may just unplug the airave and send it back. 800 has got to be around here sometime soon.

It's gotta be the iPhone then. My second theory is this. I've noticed that my phone will not stay in 3g, but switch to 1x a lot while connected to the airave. So when my phone goes on stand by and reverts back to using mobile data and it is on 1x, that obviously is a lot more battery strain as its trying to receive a message...

The only way to fix that would be to find the reason on why my phone switches to 1x when connected to the airave, instead of 3g. Any ideas?

Update: I left and went to my office and sat in there for 15 minutes and my phone only went down 2%. Just got home in the past 5 minutes i've dropped another 3%. Lol Airave might get unplugged TONIGHT.

I've had the same problem you describe. Only solution I've found is to unplug it. Many hours on the phone with sprint and even new devices did not fix it. New airave, new phones, prls including sponsor ones, profile update, etc. No solution I can find...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I've had the same problem you describe. Only solution I've found is to unplug it. Many hours on the phone with sprint and even new devices did not fix it. New airave, new phones, prls including sponsor ones, profile update, etc. No solution I can find...

my wife has an ip5 and it works very wlel with the airave.  She can go nearly two days if she stays in airave range.  If you are running older iph with ios7 that's your issue.  The airave isn't going to harm your battery life...unless the older ip3-4 don't like the airave..:)

Its not endemic... It's a real albeit tricky issue. My old evo (original) worked great... Bought a nexus 5 and suddenly problems. But the nexus 5 works great and has been replaced three times but still has the problem. My airave has been replaced once. It will stay connected to 3g on the airav but constantly kick off the airve on 1x. As I said, countless hours spent on trying to fix it and the best I've gotten is to unplug the thing. Not everyone everywhere has the problem, so consider yourself lucky that you are problem free!

my wife has an ip5 and it works very wlel with the airave.  She can go nearly two days if she stays in airave range.  If you are running older iph with ios7 that's your issue.  The airave isn't going to harm your battery life...unless the older ip3-4 don't like the airave.. :)

I have the 5S, so I should get even better battery life than your wife. And yet, no. Newest iOS update available. I was told by a Sprint rep they are coming out with an airave that can boost LTE. If so, I am going to inquire about it and have it switched out. I think I might just do that now. 

no wifi in your house???

I would guess high speed internet as you are using the rave...but no wireless router huh???)

No no. I have Wifi. But as most iPhone users are unaware(unless this has changed and I am unaware of it)...the iPhone switches you back to data rather than wifi when you're on standby. So that means in the time period I am not using my phone, I am stuck on 1x. This in turn destroys my battery life because its trying to receive, normally an iMessage, through 1x....One can imagine how draining that must be on the phone. 

Whenever I am using the phone I have it on wifi obviously. But there is no way to force wifi when your phone is standby.

Also: I am not entirely sure that is the issue, but I now that my phone is dying 10x faster than it used to. I may just disconnected the airave if support can not find an answer for me. As adam above me said, he never found an issue after hours and hours with tech support. 

No no. I have Wifi. But as most iPhone users are unaware(unless this has changed and I am unaware of it)...the iPhone switches you back to data rather than wifi when you're on standby. So that means in the time period I am not using my phone, I am stuck on 1x. This in turn destroys my battery life because its trying to receive, normally an iMessage, through 1x....One can imagine how draining that must be on the phone. 

Whenever I am using the phone I have it on wifi obviously. But there is no way to force wifi when your phone is standby.

Also: I am not entirely sure that is the issue, but I now that my phone is dying 10x faster than it used to. I may just disconnected the airave if support can not find an answer for me. As adam above me said, he never found an issue after hours and hours with tech support. 

ohhh gotcha....

not to pick a fight...but thats another reason to add to my ...dont like I-things :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

keeping it on wifi, makes sense...i mean it uses less resources, in wifi..... :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

• Like 1

ohhh gotcha....

not to pick a fight...but thats another reason to add to my ...dont like I-things :lol::lol::lol:

keeping it on wifi, makes sense...i mean it uses less resources, in wifi..... :blink::blink::blink:

i agree 100%. It's one of my biggest pet peeves with iPhones. Not sure why they do that.

The problem that I've been told after months of troubleshooting with Sprint is that the Airave isn't accepting every channel your phone is getting at the time, making it kick back and fourth. They opened the allowed channel list and now I'm able to use my Nexus 5 without getting kicked off or anything.

Give them a call and tell them to open your channels. This should help with battery drain.

• Like 1

The problem that I've been told after months of troubleshooting with Sprint is that the Airave isn't accepting every channel your phone is getting at the time, making it kick back and fourth. They opened the allowed channel list and now I'm able to use my Nexus 5 without getting kicked off or anything.

Give them a call and tell them to open your channels. This should help with battery drain.

You might be a godsend. I am going to give them a call when I get home. 

But as most iPhone users are unaware(unless this has changed and I am unaware of it)...the iPhone switches you back to data rather than wifi when you're on standby.

Of all the things I know about iOS, I still seem to find things I never knew. Thanks! :)

-Anthony

• Like 1

i get the same thing since nv i get better service 0 to 1 bar.  use to roam and now my airave is flipping out.  My 1x connects to airave and 3g connects to tower.  When on airave should be ev-do usally -45ish but then dumps to ehrpd at -107

Of all the things I know about iOS, I still seem to find things I never knew. Thanks! :)

-Anthony

I am almost 99% sure that I am right about that statement. I've done a lot of investigating as when I had my 4s and would turn the phone back on from standby it would take a moment for it to switch from 3G to wifi. That's when I started investigating and found out the tricky fact about iPhones lol.

• Like 1

I am almost 99% sure that I am right about that statement. I've done a lot of investigating as when I had my 4s and would turn the phone back on from standby it would take a moment for it to switch from 3G to wifi. That's when I started investigating and found out the tricky fact about iPhones lol.

There was a known bug when iOS 6 was released where the phone would occasionally default to cellular data even when in wifi, but I believe that had been fixed shortly after the initial release (google the reports of Verizon & AT&T customers freaking out - VZW & AT&T ended up waving a bunch of overage charges due to the software glitch). Although you're correct in that when you wake the phone from standby it may take a second for the wifi icon to appear, but I seriously doubt that it's only using cellular data when in wifi, especially considering that the vast majority of iPhone users are on a limited data plan. Put the phone in airplane mode then turn wifi on. Let it go into standby and then wake it, the wifi icon may take a second or two to appear, but you'll still be getting push messages when the phone is in standby which would verify that you still have a data connection over wifi.

If you truly feel that your battery drain issue is that the phone flips to cellular data when in standby while in wifi, just turn cellular data off (settings, cellular, turn off cellular data). I'd be willing to bet you'd still get all of your push mail / messages and if your theory is true then the phone won't be straining to pull data down on 1x.

FWIW, I'm one of those that have had nothing but problems with an Airave - it's on top of my cabinet collecting dust right now.

I have to disagree. There is a 2 1/2 year old thread on apple forums with 2080 replies, and 732k views with people experiencing the issue of their iPhone randomly using data in standby, even though connected to wifi. I bring you to the specific post by Lawrence Finch. I have read his posts before when having previous issues and the man knows what he is talking about. There is plenty of data in the 150 pages suggesting that it does indeed go back to using data after a specific period of time in standby. But my current issue is that even though I am connected to airave, it is reverting it to 1x when 3g is clearly available as every "now and then" it will connect itself. (this has to be a iPhone issue) Now since we are Sprint customers, we don't have to worry about going over a data limit :rasp: , but I defiantly consider 20% battery loss in less than an hour while on standby a pretty substantial issue. 

"Lawrence Finch NYC Area

The answer is still on the first couple of pages. As I'm not sure which question you are asking, I will provide 2 answers.

1. The data is not being sent at the time that it appears to be on the bill. That number is the accumulated data usage for the MTSO (cellular switch) you were connected to at the end of the day. The timestamp is the time the accumulated data was posted to the billing system. It is posted at the time the billing record in the MTSO was closed for the day. If the phone is on at that time it is posted at the time the MTSO resets. If the phone was off or cellular data was off it is posted as soon as it comes back on. It is also both sent and received; the billing system cannot distinguish, so it is all reported as sent.
  2. WiFi is off when the phone is asleep to save battery. If an app sends data when the phone is asleep it goes over cellular.  

Anyhow, for now I believe the only fix is to simply deal with it  and charge my phone up multiple times a day.... or just unplug the airave (like numerous people in this thread) and not ever make phone calls inside except over FaceTime audio. B26 could not get here soon enough. Looking forwarding to it sleeping in LTE and not 1x lol. 

Thank you all for your input. Was worth a try I figured. :tu:

Edit: Or of course I could just get a triband android device....

Ok, here is my experience with the Airave and my iPhone 5 and an iPhone 4S. The 4S, absolutely no problem connecting. It was perfect. Strangely enough, the Airave we connected to one day tinting the windows on a semi-truck, wasn't ours. My iPhone 5 however, wouldn't connect to EVDO, but maintained a very decent 1x voice signal. At least I had that. Didn't see any worse battery drain issues on it other than the phone calls that last 20 minutes to half an hour. :(

Edit: Does anyone have the ability to share their airave that I can put on my account so when I'm at home in Pahrump, I can attach my iPhone's to it. My iPhone 5 is having connection issues with the local site, and my friend is being told by people that she sounds like she's underwater. <_<

I have to disagree. There is a 2 1/2 year old thread on apple forums with 2080 replies, and 732k views with people experiencing the issue of their iPhone randomly using data in standby, even though connected to wifi. I bring you to the specific post by Lawrence Finch. I have read his posts before when having previous issues and the man knows what he is talking about. There is plenty of data in the 150 pages suggesting that it does indeed go back to using data after a specific period of time in standby. But my current issue is that even though I am connected to airave, it is reverting it to 1x when 3g is clearly available as every "now and then" it will connect itself. (this has to be a iPhone issue) Now since we are Sprint customers, we don't have to worry about going over a data limit :rasp: , but I defiantly consider 20% battery loss in less than an hour while on standby a pretty substantial issue.

"Lawrence Finch NYC Area

Re: Unknown data usage early morningNov 1, 2013 1:55 PM (in response to vidro3)

The answer is still on the first couple of pages. As I'm not sure which question you are asking, I will provide 2 answers.

1. The data is not being sent at the time that it appears to be on the bill. That number is the accumulated data usage for the MTSO (cellular switch) you were connected to at the end of the day. The timestamp is the time the accumulated data was posted to the billing system. It is posted at the time the billing record in the MTSO was closed for the day. If the phone is on at that time it is posted at the time the MTSO resets. If the phone was off or cellular data was off it is posted as soon as it comes back on. It is also both sent and received; the billing system cannot distinguish, so it is all reported as sent.
  2. WiFi is off when the phone is asleep to save battery. If an app sends data when the phone is asleep it goes over cellular.

Anyhow, for now I believe the only fix is to simply deal with it and charge my phone up multiple times a day.... or just unplug the airave (like numerous people in this thread) and not ever make phone calls inside except over FaceTime audio. B26 could not get here soon enough. Looking forwarding to it sleeping in LTE and not 1x lol.

Thank you all for your input. Was worth a try I figured. :tu:

Edit: Or of course I could just get a triband android device....

As much as I trust Lawrence Finch to be the expert in this field, I just tried my own test by turning cellular data off while on wifi, putting the phone in standby for 20 minutes, then sent myself and iMessage from my wife's phone - bing - message came through to my phone instantly. So unless Apple built a test into the software to continuously check to see if there's a cellular connection while in standby and if so turn wifi off to conserve battery (which by the very nature sounds counter-intuitive) I think your theory that using cellular data on 1x even when on wifi is draining your battery is off.

I do, however believe that the phone will still maintain a cellular data connection even when on wifi even though all the data traffic is being pushed over wifi. The fact that you have a very weak cellular signal in your house will cause the battery to drain quickly because it's constantly trying to maintain a connection as a backup source. The Airave *should* solve that problem, but the issue falls on the fact that the Airave is a very spotty device that has countless issues with it (just try and count up the number of Airave threads on S4GRU alone). Frankly I could never get my Airave to work and I spent weeks trouble shooting with Sprint, my ISP, and my own patience to no avail. Your battery drain can be very frustrating and I wish that I had a solution for you, but my advice would be to just turn cellular data off altogether while at home and see if that solves anything for you.

• Like 1

As much as I trust Lawrence Finch to be the expert in this field, I just tried my own test by turning cellular data off while on wifi, putting the phone in standby for 20 minutes, then sent myself and iMessage from my wife's phone - bing - message came through to my phone instantly. So unless Apple built a test into the software to continuously check to see if there's a cellular connection while in standby and if so turn wifi off to conserve battery (which by the very nature sounds counter-intuitive) I think your theory that using cellular data on 1x even when on wifi is draining your battery is off. I do, however believe that the phone will still maintain a cellular data connection even when on wifi even though all the data traffic is being pushed over wifi. The fact that you have a very weak cellular signal in your house will cause the battery to drain quickly because it's constantly trying to maintain a connection as a backup source. The Airave *should* solve that problem, but the issue falls on the fact that the Airave is a very spotty device that has countless issues with it (just try and count up the number of Airave threads on S4GRU alone). Frankly I could never get my Airave to work and I spent weeks trouble shooting with Sprint, my ISP, and my own patience to no avail. Your battery drain can be very frustrating and I wish that I had a solution for you, but my advice would be to just turn cellular data off altogether while at home and see if that solves anything for you.

I will try that. Excellent idea, thanks for testing that out. I was going to do the same but I was more concentrated on studying for an exam. They may have fixed this with iOS 7. Something I did not account for, even though people are reporting similar issues. I am gong to turn cellular data off for the next 3 hours before I leave for class and use my phone normally and see the results. 

Thats the best part about theories, they can be proven or disproven... Or new information can change them entirely. Exciting!

I will try that. Excellent idea, thanks for testing that out. I was going to do the same but I was more concentrated on studying for an exam. They may have fixed this with iOS 7. Something I did not account for, even though people are reporting similar issues. I am gong to turn cellular data off for the next 3 hours before I leave for class and use my phone normally and see the results.

Thats the best part about theories, they can be proven or disproven... Or new information can change them entirely. Exciting!

I hope it helps. I had battery drain issues with my 4S and it drove me crazy. I finally tracked the issue down to the fact that Skype, Talkatone, and Facebook would keep themselves in an active data session as opposed using the native push notifications that Apple supports. I deleted Skype & Talkatone altogether and killed off Facebook by double clicking menu button and killing it after every use. Miraculously my battery drastically improved - I was losing upwards of 10-15% per hour and after deleting / killing the culprits it dropped to 5-7% per hour even with moderate to heavy use.

Your drain could be due to many things, but losing battery that quickly is very frustrating and I hope you find a solution soon.