Latest signs of Blackberry's exit from relevance

pyroscott

A few higher ups where I work (who shall both remain unnamed) both used the BlackBerry Bold 9930. Which is really not that bad of a device. They said things like "it's best for email and that is all I do".

They both paid full retail for the... Samsung Galaxy S III. And haven't looked back.

• Like 1

Wow. Blackberry is dying. The first "smartphones" are going extinct. I will admit that Blackberry did have a very simple interface, but it sure lacked in a lot of features that most modern smartphone OS's have.

Purely my opinion here: I have been a BB user for 8 years now.

When you lay off some 5K workers, have several companies over the 10 years throw bids at your "private network"-most recently IBM offering $2B for it, and you are a $4B/yr company, and your response is no because you believe the BB10 and Playbook will rescue you in Spring 2013............I don't hold out a ton of hope. I love BB for business and personal as well, but from a personal level with limited techy experience and just knowing what I like, I will be making a switch in a few weeks.

I will be making a switch in a few weeks.

And this is the quote that RIM should be fearing. And it's people like you that RIM should have been hurrying to market with BB10 OS and new hardware. What a missed opportunity.

Robert via CM9 Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
I love BB for business and personal as well, but from a personal level with limited techy experience and just knowing what I like, I will be making a switch in a few weeks.

I am sort of on the same situation. While I love my BB for work e-mails and work phone calls, I use my Android phone for all of my personal stuff.

I am actually one of the few at the company I work for, who has not gone to a single personal/work device.

As much as I love my BB, however, the company I work for will be decommissioning their BES server sometime between Jan and April, and then I will have to give-up the BB I use for work.

KCT - "No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

folks are writing off blackberry but forgetting that BB10 is out and making impressive inroads.  Sprint's users are being done a huge disservice by not carrying the z10...hopefully at least the q10 comes out soon but i'm not willing to give up the screen real estate for a physical keyboard.  Goto a verizon store and try one.  It's a highly integrated and intuitive interface...andriod and IOS are clunky by comparison.

folks are writing off blackberry but forgetting that BB10 is out and making impressive inroads. Sprint's users are being done a huge disservice by not carrying the z10...hopefully at least the q10 comes out soon but i'm not willing to give up the screen real estate for a physical keyboard. Goto a verizon store and try one. It's a highly integrated and intuitive interface...andriod and IOS are clunky by comparison.

I think at best, BB10 has possibly stopped the mass BlackBerry exit. However, Sprint cannot offer a whole lot of models of BB devices. They will cannibalize each other and then no model will sell enough units to justify carrying them. Sprint was wise to wait for the second BB touch screen model, if it is indeed so much better than the Z10 as has been said.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

• Like 1

We can't give the Z10 away at work.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ya...no one where I work, except me, even uses a Blackberry.

I am still one of the 'weardos' that carries a separate work device, and a personal device.

• Like 1

I think at best, BB10 has possibly stopped the mass BlackBerry exit. However, Sprint cannot offer a whole lot of models of BB devices. They will cannibalize each other and then no model will sell enough units to justify carrying them. Sprint was wise to wait for the second BB touch screen model, if it is indeed so much better than the Z10 as has been said.

Robert via Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I doubt it...time will tell..in terms of if not going for the bb10 devices right off will work..bb10 i don't think is going to be just a niche..:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well since I found that I can connect my Sprint number, I use for work, and have the number ring on my personal HTC One, I will be dumping my Blackberry in September when the contract on that line is done.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

With Google voice activated. You can have any phone ring under 1 number. All you do is set it up. Even have your computer ring if you are in the Web interface of Google voice.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip about being able to answer calls on the computer. I did not know that.

To be clear, my plan is actually to have the number currently assigned to my Blackberry connected to Google Voice. Then I will be able to have both the mobile work number (the one currently assigned to my Blackberry) and my personal mobile number (the one assigned to my HTC One) both ring to my HTC One.

• 1 month later...

Well it's now August 1....the 'Countdown' has begun for my Blackberry 9930. It has served me well, but I am honestly ready to move to one device.

Also the scrolling key on my 9930 has started acting weird.