Latest signs of Blackberry's exit from relevance

pyroscott

I almost hit "like". But then I realized that it is a very sad state of affairs, and "liking" this thread is the equivalent of kicking a dog. Sad, sad, sad.

Robert

• Like 4

I feel sorry for people who are proud to own a Blackberry, I see them all the time. I ask "What is it about your Blackberry you like?" They always say "I like the interface for my email." I think "Wow am i going to feel that way about Android when something 5x better and more reliable comes on the market? NAH I'm never getting old!!

I feel sorry for people who are proud to own a Blackberry, I see them all the time. I ask "What is it about your Blackberry you like?" They always say "I like the interface for my email." I think "Wow am i going to feel that way about Android when something 5x better and more reliable comes on the market? NAH I'm never getting old!!

LOL, there are some who resist change at any cost.

• 2 months later...

Bringing up an old thread, but I'm one of those Blackberry lovers.

I carry two devices, an Android/iPhone and my Blackberry. The BB works wonders for emails, meetings, calendar info, etc. Basically, a work phone. I don't use it for music, videos, anything else, just work.

• Like 2

I carry two devices, an Android/iPhone and my Blackberry. The BB works wonders for emails, meetings, calendar info, etc. Basically, a work phone. I don't use it for music, videos, anything else, just work.

They def. are strong at those qualities. I wish they would have kept with the times instead of dismissing the advances of the smartphone and then watching their empire fall.

• Like 1

RIM could still be the top of the World. They blew it. They are the most dinosaur tech company incapable of being swift or nimble. It has taken years for them to get their newest OS with an up to date device and still nothing LTE capable. They are burning money faster than a Colorado forest fire.

Robert via Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

• Like 1

They def. are strong at those qualities. I wish they would have kept with the times instead of dismissing the advances of the smartphone and then watching their empire fall.

I still remember reading this: http://macdailynews.com/2007/02/12/rim_co_ceo_doesnt_see_threat_from_apples_iphone/

Really puts things in perspective.

The same could sort of be said for Palm OS. Prior to my excursion into smartphone territory, I had a Palm VII, a Handspring Visor Pro, a Palm IIIx and a Palm TX (in that order; the IIIx could actually be updated to OS 4.1 so it could do things the Visor couldn't). For PIM functions (calendar, ToDo, contacts) they were awesome devices. However I wanted more functionality when I moved to a smartphone than the Centro (or something like it) could provide, so I switched to WinMo. Since then, nothing Palm built ever got me to come back.

Now Bb isn't in quite as bad of a state as Palm is (Palm no longer sells any hardware, the OS has effectively been discarded, etc.) however RIM could learn a lesson from the former division of US Robotics: keep innovating, do your innovations correctly and execute on things at full bore. Otherwise you'll end up as the fourth horse in a three-horse race.

The same could sort of be said for Palm OS. Prior to my excursion into smartphone territory, I had a Palm VII, a Handspring Visor Pro, a Palm IIIx and a Palm TX (in that order; the IIIx could actually be updated to OS 4.1 so it could do things the Visor couldn't). For PIM functions (calendar, ToDo, contacts) they were awesome devices. However I wanted more functionality when I moved to a smartphone than the Centro (or something like it) could provide, so I switched to WinMo. Since then, nothing Palm built ever got me to come back.

Now Bb isn't in quite as bad of a state as Palm is (Palm no longer sells any hardware, the OS has effectively been discarded, etc.) however RIM could learn a lesson from the former division of US Robotics: keep innovating, do your innovations correctly and execute on things at full bore. Otherwise you'll end up as the fourth horse in a three-horse race.

I had a heck of a time deciding between the palm pre and the htc hero. I really liked what palm was doing. HP had to go and screw that up, now it will take a miracle to revive the Palm OS.

• Like 1

I agree, my first step into the smart phone world was a Treo 650, and it was amazing. I was using flip phones at the time, and to get a real smart phone with PIM functionality was unheard of. I switched back and forth between WinMo and the Treo line, till the Touch Diamond came out, and I discovered rooting. The Treo was never seen again :)

I'm really hoping the new BB x or whatever they are calling the new OS is up to par, and offers at the minimum the experience as the standard OS 7.1

I had a heck of a time deciding between the palm pre and the htc hero. I really liked what palm was doing. HP had to go and screw that up, now it will take a miracle to revive the Palm OS.

I still have my Palm Pre, randomly activate it just to think back at how cool it was when it launched.

• Like 1

I still have my Palm Pre, randomly activate it just to think back at how cool it was when it launched.

I still want a phone that works with the touchstone charger. I haven't gotten the nerve to modify my GNex to work with the touchstone yet...

I still want a phone that works with the touchstone charger. I haven't gotten the nerve to modify my GNex to work with the touchstone yet...

Good luck man!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat. The company I work for just switched to a BYOD policy. Eventhough I already had (and still have) an HTC EVO, I decided to purchase a Blackberry for my work phone.

Just like you, I use my Blackberry for work activities...corporate e-mail, corporate e-mail, etc. And it works great for my purposes.

I have, however, been told by the IT Department that the company will be decommissioning (shutting down) the BES server in November or December. So it looks like I will have to give up my Blackberry.

So as the song goes....Another one bites the dust....

Edited by kct1975

My fathers and aunts companys now have byod policies and more and more are moving away from blackberrys

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Yup...same with the company I work for

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

I love Blackberries, I love webOS. I think webOS is the best-executed mobile OS out there. Built for multitasking (multitasks better than a PC I think), awesome phone with good keyboard. The hardware, lack of a real useful SDK, and HP screwed it up.

I use an Android. Not because I think it's the best, but because I just upgraded my contract and I didn't want to be stuck with an outdated OS and 3G data for 20 months if I got a BlackBerry. I may still buy one off contract so I have a backup if my EVO LTE kicks.

I'm using an iPhone 4s now, mostly because I'm a Mac user and the wireless syncing of contacts and calendar is addictive. But I'm a 10-year BlackBerry addict and I'm keeping my 9930 in the charging cradle right next to my iMac, just in case.

RIM still has 80 Million users and growing. It's just that they're growing at an anemic pace compared to Android and iOS. And that's chasing away the developers which is the most troubling thing to me.