Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

Republic Wireless is interesting. They basically bundle what you do with Google Voice enabled apps (not using Google Voice or needing Google Voice account) on your phone with the ability to go on the road and use macros (cell towers). They say it's seamless and I know someone that uses them and does not complain.

Edited by AiravePirate

• 4 weeks later...

This is available today, interested in hearing some feedback on it. One of my questions is will it work on a LTE Hotspot? I was reading that you have to assign the network an address for 911 reasons...

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

The way sprint has this so restricted makes this pointless. Need to be more open.

I dont find it pointless. It will benefit a lot of people myself included.

Let's just be glad that we have the option now. Is it safe to assume that Masa had this implemented? It seems like pre-Masa Sprint execs wanted to push the femtocells and had no intentions of rolling out Wi-Fi calling.

• Like 1

All third party google voice apps and devices are getting disabled on 15th May 2014.

People are hoping that it means voice is coming to the Hangout application on Android, just like it is on the iOS app.

It is absolutely coming; in fact, it works today. The Android Hangouts app doesn't have an interface to initiate the calls today, but if you initiate a call with Hangouts for Chrome (incoming or outgoing), and then open the Hangouts app while the call is ongoing, you can see the call and tap the video icon to join it on your phone. Then you can leave the call on your computer and carry on.

EDIT: Album

• Like 1

If you don't need sprint coverage to use it then I take back what I said about it being pointless.

I dont find it pointless. It will benefit a lot of people myself included.

Let's just be glad that we have the option now. Is it safe to assume that Masa had this implemented? It seems like pre-Masa Sprint execs wanted to push the femtocells and had no intentions of rolling out Wi-Fi calling.

Ting has been working on a native VoWiFi solution as well, but I am pleased to see Sprint managed to come up with something to beat them to it. I wonder if the two companies have been working together on this, and if the calls will hand-off smoothly like Republic Wireless solution, or drop like T-Mobile's? 

From the wording on Ting's blog, it sounds like they won't have any restrictions on calls placed from domestic no-service areas or overseas:

VoIP: Another big goal for 2014 is to offer voice over IP (VoIP) calling. In other words, routing calls through the Internet where possible and seamlessly handing off between cellular and local networks. Adding VoIP means the potential for even more saving with Ting. As you might imagine, it’s not a simple matter… but we’ve got some smart people on the problem.

My local news had a story on this this afternoon.

I'm glad to see this feature because there are numerous locations here in Wisconsin that I travel to that are roaming, and when I finally hop on the Framily plan and get an upgrade, I'll be using this a lot. 

Go Sprint.

My local news had a story on this this afternoon.

I'm glad to see this feature because there are numerous locations here in Wisconsin that I travel to that are roaming, and when I finally hop on the Framily plan and get an upgrade, I'll be using this a lot. 

Go Sprint.

I thought you couldn't use it when roaming? 

Taken from the androidpolice article: http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/02/20/sprints-will-fire-up-wifi-calling-tomorrow-february-21st-coming-to-samsung-galaxy-s4-mini-and-galaxy-mega-first/

The service is only available in the US, US Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico. If the device doesn't report a valid location, WiFi calling will not work. The Sprint signal is still important, though. CDMA connectivity will be used to determine if a device is within the Sprint footprint – being in a roaming area disables outbound calls due to 911 regulations (or so says Sprint).

• Like 1

Bummer... I thought somebody in here said as long as you had some sort of signal it would still work.

So this would include roaming?

So this would include roaming?

"..no mobile network coverage."

If you are within sprint coverage, you have mobile network coverage.

If you are within a roaming partners coverage, you have mobile network coverage.

Subtract the two, you have no mobile network coverage....and this says it will work with no mobile network coverage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"..no mobile network coverage."

If you are within sprint coverage, you have mobile network coverage.

If you are within a roaming partners coverage, you have mobile network coverage.

Subtract the two, you have no mobile network coverage....and this says it will work with no mobile network coverage.

The Sprint link states "Sprint customers will experience improved voice, data and messaging services in locations that previously had limited or no mobile network coverage."  So yes, it includes areas of roaming.

• 4 weeks later...