Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

Why have this restriction at all? This calling should be allowed to work in Africa. Why limit something useful.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Perhaps a premium International version in the future for $5-$10 a month? Only thing I can come up with...

Perhaps a premium International version in the future for $5-$10 a month? Only thing I can come up with...

International folks mostly all use line, video, or whatsapp so no one in their right mind would pay for this.

Not to be glib, but Sprint already has Wi-Fi calling.  It is Google Voice integration plus GrooVe IP.

AJ

• Like 2

Not in a few months.

I have heard about third party developers being shut out of the Google Voice API.  You are certainly better versed in that realm than I am.  But are you sure that GrooVe IP will be affected?

AJ

I have heard about third party developers being shut out of the Google Voice API.  You are certainly better versed in that realm than I am.  But are you sure that GrooVe IP will be affected?

AJ

All third party google voice apps and devices are getting disabled on 15th May 2014.

People are hoping that it means voice is coming to the Hangout application on Android, just like it is on the iOS app.

I have heard about third party developers being shut out of the Google Voice API. You are certainly better versed in that realm than I am. But are you sure that GrooVe IP will be affected?

AJ

http://androidcommunity.com/groove-ip-shutting-down-due-to-google-voice-changes-20131104/

My Obi VOIP adapter will stop working with it as well. But hey.. I have had free home phone for 2+ years from them. Good run!

• Like 2

All third party google voice apps and devices are getting disabled on 15th May 2014.

People are hoping that it means voice is coming to the Hangout application on Android, just like it is on the iOS app.

Voice is already there. The video call ;)

That is unfortunate.  I read the rumors a few months ago, but I half expected GrooVe IP to escape the executioner -- since it really latches onto Google Chat, not Google Voice.  That said, I have actually used GrooVe IP forwarding to my tablets all of I think four times in the last 18 months.  When I am available, I just do not make or take that many phone calls.

On one hand, I feel for snrb Labs, since it is losing a paid app.  But on the upside, if Google is reportedly taking VoIP in house, then likely it will employ a more efficient codec.  Google Chat forwarding to GrooVe IP uses G.711, which produces a 64 kbps voice payload, then TCP/IP routing data for a total of 80 kbps each direction.  A more modern codec should be able to produce similar "toll quality" voice at a much lower bit rate.  And that would be better for use over mobile airlinks.

AJ

• Like 1

http://androidcommunity.com/groove-ip-shutting-down-due-to-google-voice-changes-20131104/

My Obi VOIP adapter will stop working with it as well. But hey.. I have had free home phone for 2+ years from them. Good run!

I've been using Ooma for the past 3 years and have never paid a bill other than the cost of the device (~$200) .  I will obviously ride this out till the phone adapter dies on me.  Ooma for new customers is still a good deal, as you only pay your local taxes.  Here in Baton Rouge, it's around $4/month.

• Like 1

I've been using Ooma for the past 3 years and have never paid a bill other than the cost of the device (~$200) . I will obviously ride this out till the phone adapter dies on me. Ooma for new customers is still a good deal, as you only pay your local taxes. Here in Baton Rouge, it's around $4/month.

I think I am going to look around for a DID for inbound usage as we don't call out much on the phone. Not sure yet. I have several VOIP boxes around as I used to write some plugins for Sipura and they sent me one of each model for testing. Speaking of Sipura, smart guys, selling the same their company twice to the same folks and coming back to do it a third time.

• Like 1

I think I am going to look around for a DID for inbound usage as we don't call out much on the phone. Not sure yet. I have several VOIP boxes around as I used to write some plugins for Sipura and they sent me one of each model for testing. Speaking of Sipura, smart guys, selling the same their company twice to the same folks and coming back to do it a third time.

I use onesuite.com with a Linksys PAP2T for outgoing calls, used it for maybe 5 years, pretty reliable. I think they charge $3 per month if you want a number, can port too.

Grooveip, google voice..  Not the same thing as having fully integrated wifi calling and SMS like T-mobile has.  It's totally seamless, you don't have to change any of your habits to use it, works anywhere in the world where you have wifi.  Hopefully Sprint's solution will be just as tightly integrated and available.

I wonder if this could be a work around "fix" for Airave's and tri-band phones without needing to disable LTE at home.

That's a theory for sure. The firmware on the phones has not yet been released. Just realize, you will need wifi at the location, obviously.

I've been using Ooma for the past 3 years and have never paid a bill other than the cost of the device (~$200) .  I will obviously ride this out till the phone adapter dies on me.  Ooma for new customers is still a good deal, as you only pay your local taxes.  Here in Baton Rouge, it's around $4/month.

Looks like I'll be doing the Obivoice thing on the Obi adapter.  The $25 a year for 500 minutes a month sounds perfect.  Hard to beat $2 a month.

It's good when coverage just sucks. When I had t-mobile I was in the hospital and had almost no coverage, dropped calls and all. Turned on the wifi and bam calling all good. Clear as ever. This was standard on t-mobile and used the same rules that sprint is going to employ.

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Grooveip, google voice..  Not the same thing as having fully integrated wifi calling and SMS like T-mobile has.  It's totally seamless, you don't have to change any of your habits to use it, works anywhere in the world where you have wifi.  Hopefully Sprint's solution will be just as tightly integrated and available.

I disagree.  The Google Voice plus GrooVe IP open system has been great because it is not limited to just one "Wi-Fi calling" handset.  Ringing through to tablets, laptops, and other devices is pretty cool.

AJ

• Like 2

This would be awesome for my situation. I'm in a semi-rural area on an MSC boundary. My calls don't handoff well between the two sites and we deal with a lot of cell breathing. CDMA800 will be very helpful when it shows up, but until then I could hook my phone to my hotspot for reliable calling.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Is this an extension (or clone?) of what Republic Wireless is trying to do? And does Republic's plan require you to have a cdma signal? Just curious. Would certainly prefer to use a standard phone like the n5 on sprint instead of a tricked out special phone that is only good on the republic plan.

Jim, Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk 2