Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

Something to keep in mind.  QOS (Quality of Service) on your router could help in a slow internet connection situation (ie: 10/1)  You would need to give the WIFI Calling a greater priority to ensure it has the bandwidth to do it's job.  Though, to be fair.  I doubt WIFI calling really needs much as voice calls use very little data or bandwidth.

I have the Sprint Wifi Connect router which has the QoS built in for wifi calling so the problem wasn't in the router. 

Why is Sprint using an older version of WiFi calling? Is it more cost effective? Trying to find out because I was hoping to have WiFi calling built into AOSP-based ROMs, but it will only work with T-Mobile's WiFi calling setup; not Sprints.

I completely agree!

I have a Nexus 6 phone, and because Sprint uses an older WiFi Calling technology, it won't work on the Nexus 6 at all.

• Like 1

Here's a technical question I have, does Sprint's version of WiFi Calling work off IMS?

I don't believe so. My understanding is that it's basically mimicking an Airave (ie the same protocol over an ipsec tunnel). So my guess is the protocol predates IMS.

That being said, I don't see why they couldn't implement IMS based wifi calling along side it. It would be a good proving ground before moving to VoLTE, since I believe the backend is the same.

• Like 1

I don't believe so. My understanding is that it's basically mimicking an Airave (ie the same protocol over an ipsec tunnel). So my guess is the protocol predates IMS.

That being said, I don't see why they couldn't implement IMS based wifi calling along side it. It would be a good proving ground before moving to VoLTE, since I believe the backend is the same.

I don't think that's right. 

http://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/story/sprint-using-technology-kineto-taqua-new-wi-fi-calling-service/2014-02-24

• 3 weeks later...

You'd think somehow Sprint could get WiFi calling working on Nexus devices.  I know it is a non-standard version of WiFi calling, but they were able to get it working on an iPhone!

If they would, I'd happily sell my Note5 for the 6P.  Alas, I can not live without the WiFi calling. 

• Like 1

You'd think somehow Sprint could get WiFi calling working on Nexus devices. I know it is a non-standard version of WiFi calling, but they were able to get it working on an iPhone!

Ya...I still don't really understand why Sprint can't get it done.

I mean, in my mind, if it requires some sort of Sprint software, then just release a Sprint WiFi Calling app in the Google Play store.

• Like 1

Why is Sprint using an older version of WiFi calling?  Is it more cost effective?  Trying to find out because I was hoping to have WiFi calling built into AOSP-based ROMs, but it will only work with T-Mobile's WiFi calling setup; not Sprints.

Adding to this, is it possible for Sprint to upgrade their infrastructure to the same version of WiFi calling that T-Mobile has?  Then it'd work for more devices (ie: N5x and N6p.)

I often don't have a need for WiFi calling, but it'd be nice to have as a backup if I ever visit the Colorado Mountains again.

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that WiFi calling has become more reliable lately?  On my GS5, I am getting virtually no unexpected disconnects, and when I leave home and return, WiFi calling reconnects almost instantly.  This seems to have been happening for about the last week.

(Of course, as soon as I post this, my WiFi calling will melt down completely . . . :wacko: )

• Like 4

Has anyone else noticed that WiFi calling has become more reliable lately?  On my GS5, I am getting virtually no unexpected disconnects, and when I leave home and return, WiFi calling reconnects almost instantly.  This seems to have been happening for about the last week.

(Of course, as soon as I post this, my WiFi calling will melt down completely . . . :wacko: )

My Note5 has been real solid today, however, I did just get a system update on Saturday and my WiFi has been more solid all around.  Probably a combination of both. 

Adding to this, is it possible for Sprint to upgrade their infrastructure to the same version of WiFi calling that T-Mobile has? Then it'd work for more devices (ie: N5x and N6p.)

I often don't have a need for WiFi calling, but it'd be nice to have as a backup if I ever visit the Colorado Mountains again.

I was about to ask this. I happen to pick up a s6 edge to test their network to see if it will fit my needs & the rest of the family currently. It was as simple as connect to wifi and turn it on and chose how you would like it to work. Less of a headache for those less tech savvy.

Has anyone else noticed that WiFi calling has become more reliable lately? On my GS5, I am getting virtually no unexpected disconnects, and when I leave home and return, WiFi calling reconnects almost instantly. This seems to have been happening for about the last week.

My Note5 has been real solid today, however, I did just get a system update on Saturday and my WiFi has been more solid all around. Probably a combination of both.

I wish mine was more solid as both of you claim. My note 4 & s6 on the plan get errors after a few texts and calls. I have WiFi 5ghz ac actually broadcasting and the only.

• 2 months later...

I'm on a Southwest flight and the Sprint wifi calling is fully working.. Including calls (not making calls to annoy passengers but I called a 800# to verify :)) guessing their wifi hasn't blocked Sprint yet.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I'm on a Southwest flight and the Sprint wifi calling is fully working.. Including calls (not making calls to annoy passengers but I called a 800# to verify :)) guessing their wifi hasn't blocked Sprint yet.

I didn't read this. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am so grateful that we don't have cellphone calling really happening in the plane. I just know I'll end up in a middle seat between two idiots screaming into their phones as if they aren't trapped in a tiny tube hurtling through the sky with 137 other people.

Using Tapatalk on Note 8.0

• Like 5

I should say.. The wifi calling seemed to be off in airplane mode.. So you'd have to turn it off and then the cell modem will turn off when wifi calling is enabled. Since Southwest supports wifi on ground you can do this before takeoff.

• Like 1

I should say.. The wifi calling seemed to be off in airplane mode.. So you'd have to turn it off and then the cell modem will turn off when wifi calling is enabled. Since Southwest supports wifi on ground you can do this before takeoff.

On my iPhone 6S I make wifi calls with airplane mode on...

• 6 months later...

Hey, kind of resurrecting an old thread but I have an announcement for all iPhone users. In the latest iOS 10 beta, wifi calling on sprint works for both voice and SMS and it also appears that the HD voice problem has been solved. Now you can place HD voice calls on the macro network with wifi calling enabled on the device and SMS goes over wifi when available.

• Like 4

Hey, kind of resurrecting an old thread but I have an announcement for all iPhone users. In the latest iOS 10 beta, wifi calling on sprint works for both voice and SMS and it also appears that the HD voice problem has been solved. Now you can place HD voice calls on the macro network with wifi calling enabled on the device and SMS goes over wifi when available.

Wow, really? I actually didn't know that. Here I thought I knew everything about the update lol. It's nice that I can actually turn on WiFi calling now and not lose HD voice!

-Anthony

• Like 1

Wow, really? I actually didn't know that. Here I thought I knew everything about the update lol. It's nice that I can actually turn on WiFi calling now and not lose HD voice!

-Anthony

Yea I've been enjoying using it! MMS over wifi seems to be the only thing sprint has left to add.

• Like 1

Yea I've been enjoying using it! MMS over wifi seems to be the only thing sprint has left to add.

iphones haven't had MMS over WiFi?? That's too bad. Been a life saver for me in my work building.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

iphones haven't had MMS over WiFi?? That's too bad. Been a life saver for me in my work building.

MMS on WiFi calling works for you? It's never worked for me. Haven't turned WiFi calling on in a while though.

Sent from my LG G5

MMS on WiFi calling works for you? It's never worked for me. Haven't turned WiFi calling on in a while though.

Sent from my LG G5

Yes. It works with Samsung's Messages app (on Samsung phones obviously) and it works with Textra (enable "prefer WiFi" in settings). Those are the only two apps that work with MMS on WiFi calling. Use Textra on your G5.

Yes. It works with Samsung's Messages app (on Samsung phones obviously) and it works with Textra (enable "prefer WiFi" in settings). Those are the only two apps that work with MMS on WiFi calling. Use Textra on your G5.

Hmm.... I have used Textra for a couple years now.

• Like 1

Hmm.... I have used Textra for a couple years now.

Do you have the "prefer WiFi" checked in MMS settings in Textra? That makes the difference.

RE: HD Voice......I'm not sure how that would be possible if you're suggesting it uses the network somehow? WiFi calling takes you off network completely. The phone calls on WiFi are already in HD as long as you've got a strong/fast WiFi connection.

What bothers me about WiFi calling is drops between access points AND drops if you leave WiFi coverage. Wish it'd switch like Fi does (doesn't it? Not sure on this).

• Like 1