Sprint Wifi Calling.....

runagun

I'm watching Marcelo Claure at the ReCode Conference and he mentioned that Sprint is in the final stages of seamless WiFi handover. Hopefully that software will be making it's way over to devices before year end.

• Like 3

I'm watching Marcelo Claure at the ReCode Conference and he mentioned that Sprint is in the final stages of seamless WiFi handover. Hopefully that software will be making it's way over to devices before year end.

WiFi handover to what? VoLTE?

I'm guessing to CDMA like what Republic Wireless does.

From what I understand that's not really a handoff though, you get disconnected for a moment as the call comes back through to you on CDMA.

• Like 2

From what I understand that's not really a handoff though, you get disconnected for a moment as the call comes back through to you on CDMA.

It's better than dropping the call altogether and having to redial it yourself. I'm uncertain though on how they're accomplishing this.

• Like 1

It's better than dropping the call altogether and having to redial it yourself. I'm uncertain though on how they're accomplishing this.

Right now, I would think that it is impossible to have a seamless handoff from Wi-Fi calling to the macro network.  When you are on a wi-fi call, all the other radios are turned off on your phone. Sprint Macro sites are not communicating with thee the phone at all. Your wi-fi call may drop, but you can still be connected to your Wi-fi network, maybe not for long, but you might be.When a wi-fi call drops, it takes some time, (a second or two) until your phone realizes it needs to connect to a macro site.

To have  seamless handoff, Sprint would need to turn on the CDMA radios BEFORE the Wi-Fi call drops. Sprint would need to locate your phone and the serving cell before the wi-fi completely crashes.

• Like 1

Sprint seems to be making it possible somehow according to the CEO and they're really close to completing it, perhaps by doing what you've stated. Sprint seems committed to making WiFi a layer of its network.

• Like 1

Sprint seems to be making it possible somehow according to the CEO and they're really close to completing it, perhaps by doing what you've stated. Sprint seems committed to making WiFi a layer of its network.

That will only happen if Sprint makes it available for all makes and models of phones.

Please excuse the snarkyness of the statement, but I had an HTC M8 that had WiFi Calling, and now I have a Nexus 6 that doesn't.

To my knowledge, the Nexus 6 is capable of WiFi Calling, but Sprint just doesn't seem to want to roll-out the feature for the Nexus 6.

• Like 1

That will only happen if Sprint makes it available for all makes and models of phones.

Please excuse the snarkyness of the statement, but I had an HTC M8 that had WiFi Calling, and now I have a Nexus 6 that doesn't.

To my knowledge, the Nexus 6 is capable of WiFi Calling, but Sprint just doesn't seem to want to roll-out the feature for the Nexus 6.

It's capable of a different type of WiFi calling than Sprint uses. Sprint is not intentionally cock blocking your phone from being able to use the service.

• Like 2

It's capable of a different type of WiFi calling than Sprint uses. Sprint is not intentionally cock blocking your phone from being able to use the service.

Understood...it's just frustrating. Also, part of my previous comment is still valid...if Sprint wants to push WiFi Calling, then they need to find a way to deploy it so that it works on more devices than just Samsung and HTC.

Understood...it's just frustrating. Also, part of my previous comment is still valid...if Sprint wants to push WiFi Calling, then they need to find a way to deploy it so that it works on more devices than just Samsung and HTC.

IPhones (5S and up) have wifi calling too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Every current Sprint device has it besides the Nexus. I would love to see it added to aosp instead of the add on way Sprint is doing it but I don't see it happening soon. Maybe if Sprint updates to the newer WiFi calling T-Mobile is using it will happen.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

When Sprint implements VoLTE they can also implement VoWiFi since VoLTE requires the addition of IMS based voice. T-Mobile has VoLTE and VoWiFi implemented, and VoWiFi is what they're using for all modern devices.

The Nexus 6 implements VoWiFi with VoLTE and seamless handover capability

• Like 2

Haven't been able to use wifi calling in 3 days. Anyone else having issues?

It suddenly crashed for me on July 2.  Could not get it to reconnect until I rebooted the phone.  Ok from that point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also having an issue.  Hasn't worked for about a week.  I've even removed it from account online so phone would readd.  I even did the reactivation command.

Does this happen everywhere?

I'm also having an issue.  Hasn't worked for about a week.  I've even removed it from account online so phone would readd.  I even did the reactivation command.

I've also been noticing that wifi calling won't enable or will take a very long time to enable. Sometimes I have to try enabling it two to three times before it connects. Also notice it will even turn it off then reconnect for some reason. Never did this when had the older update for the G3.

Yes, this is now a "known issue" with android phones like the S4, S5, S6, Note 4 and M8 (so far that's where its been reported).  iphone users appear to be unaffected.  Sprint doesn't have any resolution yet and has just now, as of this morning, recognized it as a known issue. 

It stopped on Wednesday morning for me, still doesn't work (I have the S5). 

Yes, this is now a "known issue" with android phones like the S4, S5, S6, Note 4 and M8 (so far that's where its been reported).  iphone users appear to be unaffected.  Sprint doesn't have any resolution yet and has just now, as of this morning, recognized it as a known issue. 

It stopped on Wednesday morning for me, still doesn't work (I have the S5). 

Yep, I did have an intermittent problem.  But since Wednesday, I can not use Wi-Fi calling at all.  Rebooted phone, Modem, Router, and did everything else possible.  I just can not connect to Wi-Fi calling at all.  I have a Galaxy S-5.

• Like 1