Galaxy S3 goes into a reboot loop or loses signal when connected to a certain tower

MaxPower

I'm running a custom ROM and it had been working great until all of a sudden the phone started rebooting constantly but only when I was home. I've found that if I swtich the network mode to CDMA only, the phone is stable and works great. Switching to CDMA/LTE throws the phone into an endless reboot loop of causes the signal to be lost, depending on which kernel I have flashed. I have the MK3 modem flashed and I've flashed it several times, I've done a complete wipe of the phone and reflashed the ROM, nothing helps. Having the WiFi on or off makes no difference.

Could the problem be hardware related? Does it have something to do with the tower and if it does, will it go away at some point? I tried asking in the ROM's thread at XDA but no one seems to know exactly what's going on.

This only happens when I'm home or close to home and in CDMA/LTE mode.

Have you tried ODINing completely back to stock?

I don't remember whether or not the GS3 had a separate LTE modem firmware from CDMA, but it likely does. I'd try flashing a couple modems back, in succession, up to the latest.

You haven't mentioned whether or not the device connects normally to EHRPD or LTE, only that being in LTE mode freaks it out.

• Like 1

Have you tried ODINing completely back to stock?

I don't remember whether or not the GS3 had a separate LTE modem firmware from CDMA, but it likely does. I'd try flashing a couple modems back, in succession, up to the latest.

You haven't mentioned whether or not the device connects normally to EHRPD or LTE, only that being in LTE mode freaks it out.

I flashed MB1, MD4, then MK3 but that didn't help. Right now I have it in CDMA/LTE mode and it's connected to CDMA eHRPD, every once in a while I will lose signal and regain it, I assume this is when it tries to connect to LTE. I will try to do another hands free activation later today when the phone has no problems connecting to LTE.

I haven't tried ODIN to stock, I will do that this weekend if everything else fails.

Happened to me running MOAR ROM a little less than a year ago. Anytime I was in SFO and it would try to connect to LTE, it would reboot. Found out it was a kernel problem, but I elected to go to Cynaogen Mod and have had no issues since with the stock kernel that installs with it. I tried multiple modem flashes, none worked. Radio update didn't work, either. Look into other kernels, or other ROMs to fix it. 

If you haven't tried CM, I'd highly recommend it, just stay away from the KitKat builds for now. I'm running 10.2 stable and it's great.

I flashed CM10 and went back to stock, didn't help. It keeps connecting to Sprint's network then disconnecting constantly. There's no more stable connection but only when I'm home or nearby. I don't think there's anything else I can do that software related so now my question is, will a Sprint repair center even look at the phone if it's over a year old? There's no repair center near me so they aren't going to be able to duplicate the problem so maybe there's no point and I should just wait it out to see if it resolves itself as sudden as it broke or if I should just replace it.

I got into some trouble screwing with some settings deep in the hidden menus on stock. Eventually, I had zero connectivity on mobile. Took it to a Sprint store, and they fixed it in 5 mins. This was when the phone was about 15 months old.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I got into some trouble screwing with some settings deep in the hidden menus on stock. Eventually, I had zero connectivity on mobile. Took it to a Sprint store, and they fixed it in 5 mins. This was when the phone was about 15 months old.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I'll flash stock back on there and take it to them tomorrow. I wish they could see it disconnecting but oh well.

I got into some trouble screwing with some settings deep in the hidden menus on stock. Eventually, I had zero connectivity on mobile.

If in a hidden menu you ever see "Korea mode" -- I still have not determined what it is -- do not select it.  I learned the hard way some years ago.

AJ

• Like 1

I took it to the Sprint repair center and they said nothing is wrong with the phone, that they've been doing lots of tower upgrades and to give it a couple of days and it might start working again. It's not the tower because there are other phones on my account that connect just fine, that didn't matter to them though.

Doing more research I found this thread: https://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/90885

My problem started happening when the battery on the phone died. I didn't think it had anything to do with it but now it looks like it does. Of course, I've already tried everything mentioned there x20. There are several more repair centers in the area, there has to be a tech at one of them that knows what's going on...

• 2 weeks later...

The same thing is happening to another S3 on a different account. Mine is rooted, the other isn't. Both running 4.3 but I flashed 4.1 on mine with no resolution. It seems like certain S3s don't like certain Sprint towers.