Samsung Galaxy S4T L720T [Trimode] User Discussion Thread

lilotimz

If you guys remember Ascertion said it's in the Best Buy database but who knows when it'll be available for sale.

I haven't seen Ascertion post in awhile... my Galaxy Nexus has been broken for awhile and I don't know how much longer I can wait.  Hopefully the Best Buy close by me has a GS4 with the big T on it, else I might have to settle for the SVLTE one because I can't afford $250 right now upfront.

J.

I haven't seen Ascertion post in awhile... my Galaxy Nexus has been broken for awhile and I don't know how much longer I can wait.  Hopefully the Best Buy close by me has a GS4 with the big T on it, else I might have to settle for the SVLTE one because I can't afford $250 right now upfront.

J.

I think if you order it online you don't have to deal with the rebate crap and it would be $199.

J.

Still no dice.  I think it's only available online from Sprint.com for the T version.  They're still removing old inventory from current stock.

If you guys remember Ascertion said it's in the Best Buy database but who knows when it'll be available for sale.

I had a report third week of December from a Sprint store that it showed up in their database for a very brief time and was removed again by the time of that visit.

I haven't been back since I bought online so I have no idea of current status in their database.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Just got some information to pass along.  If you see intermittent LTE connect, they are possibly caused by towers in the process of being set up for LTE.  You will see intermittent connections on them from the GS4T for a few days until the setup is complete.

As it was explained to me:

===

eCSFB is your issue. so far anytime they turn on a new 4G tower it doesn't have this enabled until 12-48 hours after its accepted. so if you want to connect to the newly accepted towers you will need to put your phone into LTE only mode, if you don't want to do that then you will just have to wait until eCSFB gets enabled on the new towers to connect to them.

===

Since we need eCSFB for the Tri-band version of the phone, we have to wait until that has been activated in order for us to reliably connect to the LTE signal.

Here's some extra reading on the subject:

http://s4gru.com/index.php?/blog/1/entry-357-nexus-5-and-lg-g2-experience-temporary-sprint-lte-connectivity-issues-due-to-circuit-switched-fallback-technology/

I realize page 6 of the thread is a horrible place for this to be hidden, but it can be hot linked to on the web version and probably via tapatalk someplace.  I'll update it as I find more information.

**caution** access and use of these screens is at your own risk

study hard before throwing random setting switches.  They are hidden for a reason.

You should NOT have to hit "dial".  Tapping the final "#" of the trigger should take you to the screen.  If it doesn't, re-check what you "dialled" for errors.

http://tools.flashingtools.com/
(MSL reader that worked)

##DEBUG#  (##33284#)
password:  SPRINT  (777468)
(LTE engineering screen - LTE connection data)

##DATA#  (##3282#)
no password to view
-edit requires your unique msl code (see above for discovery tool app)
Use for?

##DIAG#
-no password or msl code?
Use for?

##INFO#   (4636) <--  MISSING!  need to find equivalent screen for S4T
(on other models has the "LTE only mode" toggle)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blueline.signalcheck

If you have any additions or updates, let me know and I'll update this post.

-Thanks to all who helped me get this far.

Best Buy on Virginia Street in Reno, NV as of yesterday ALL their GS4 stock was GS4T (when I asked if they had SPHL720Txx they had NO IDEA what I was talking about, but the manager came over and opened the locked phone storage cabinet so I could see the boxes and every Sprint GS4 they had was a GS4T, SPHL720TWT and SPHL720TBK, white and black repsctively).  However at the ONLY Sprint company store in Reno where I'd been earlier in the day yesterday they assured me that ALL GS4 phones ever made had the hardware for Sprint Spark and only needed a software update (they had no idea what they were talking about).  When I questioned this further, they went in back and "asked the tech" and came back with the same story.  Then when I asked to see the actual box, they brought out a GS4, SPHL720xxx and not a GS4T, SPHL720Txx.  So, it's buyer beware, check the model number on the outer box.

• Like 1

Best Buy on Virginia Street in Reno, NV as of yesterday ALL their GS4 stock was GS4T (when I asked if they had SPHL720Txx they had NO IDEA what I was talking about, but the manager came over and opened the locked phone storage cabinet so I could see the boxes and every Sprint GS4 they had was a GS4T, SPHL720TWT and SPHL720TBK, white and black repsctively). However at the ONLY Sprint company store in Reno where I'd been earlier in the day yesterday they assured me that ALL GS4 phones ever made had the hardware for Sprint Spark and only needed a software update (they had no idea what they were talking about). When I questioned this further, they went in back and "asked the tech" and came back with the same story. Then when I asked to see the actual box, they brought out a GS4, SPHL720xxx and not a GS4T, SPHL720Txx. So, it's buyer beware, check the model number on the outer box.

It's amazing how inept cellular reps can be. I've dealt with similar reps who had no technical knowledge whatsoever. I would rather they just say they don't know than make up something that's completely wrong.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Just curious, does anyone know if Amazon has the 720T yet?  Their product description is not only horrible inaccurate, but it doesn't even list the model number.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Black-Sprint/dp/B00CEKXJ3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390875780&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s4+sprint

I'm just curious.  After a few chat attempts someone finally said it was the original 720, but I don't know if they just said that to get me to go away.

Just curious, does anyone know if Amazon has the 720T yet?  Their product description is not only horrible inaccurate, but it doesn't even list the model number.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-Black-Sprint/dp/B00CEKXJ3Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1390875780&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s4+sprint

I'm just curious.  After a few chat attempts someone finally said it was the original 720, but I don't know if they just said that to get me to go away.

/Looks at the page

5df78_orig-cringe.gif

• Like 2

Android 4.2 suggests S4, the S4T shipped with 4.3

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Well, they're also saying it support Edge, HSPA+, and GSM.  It neglects to mention any of Sprint's bands or support for them.  The Amazon page is just a copy/paste from other carriers/international version.  I've seen many places where it'll say Android 4.1 installed but it comes with 4.2 or 4.3 installed.  The people that are in charge of product description just don't understand the differences.

Just curious, does anyone know if Amazon has the 720T yet? Their product description is not only horrible inaccurate, but it doesn't even list the model number.

I'm just curious. After a few chat attempts someone finally said it was the original 720, but I don't know if they just said that to get me to go away.

got 5 phones from amazon this weekend. All are s4 none is s4t.

I prefer s4 can wait for the t in s5

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well, I have had ny GS4T, SPHL720TBK, for just under a week at this point. 

I like it and it's overall performance has been good.

The BAD:

When leaving a 4G LTE served area - it takes a while to acquire a 3G data signal.  Once you leave a 4G LTE served area it generally takes its about 2 minutes and even up to several minutes sometimes for it to acquire a 3G signal for data transfer (during which time you're without data service and the dreaded "This page canNOT be loaded" message pops up).  We have many areas where 4G LTE is not yet up in Reno, NV - and, I'm often a passenger in a vehicle and when it drives out of a 4G served area - no data for at least 2 minutes - so this has been a bit annoying.

The GOOD:

But, on the other side of the coin, its ability to acquire a 4G LTE signal is dramtic.  It seems to aggressively hunt for and change to 4G LTE when entering a 4G LTE served area (even on the fringe of such an area). 

My previous phone, an S3, seemed to be just the opposite pouncing on a 3G signal, even when 4G LTE was available.

Calls have rung through easily even when I've been browsing - though of course there's no SVLTE.

Then of course there's the cute - sometimes spinning - SPARK symbol added to the top of the homescreen.

The BAD:

When leaving a 4G LTE served area - it takes a while to acquire a 3G data signal.  Once you leave a 4G LTE served area it generally takes its about 2 minutes and even up to several minutes sometimes for it to acquire a 3G signal for data transfer (during which time you're without data service and the dreaded "This page canNOT be loaded" message pops up).  We have many areas where 4G LTE is not yet up in Reno, NV - and, I'm often a passenger in a vehicle and when it drives out of a 4G served area - no data for at least 2 minutes - so this has been a bit annoying.

The GOOD:

But, on the other side of the coin, its ability to acquire a 4G LTE signal is dramtic.  It seems to aggressively hunt for and change to 4G LTE when entering a 4G LTE served area (even on the fringe of such an area). 

My previous phone, an S3, seemed to be just the opposite pouncing on a 3G signal, even when 4G LTE was available.

Calls have rung through easily even when I've been browsing - though of course there's no SVLTE.

Then of course there's the cute - sometimes spinning - SPARK symbol added to the top of the homescreen.

I do not want to wish any bad luck on to you, but I hope you have a bad S4T and it can be exchanged for a good one.   The lack of a fast transfer to 3G when LTE drops is a totally undesirable trait.   I will soon be looking for a Tri-Band phone and if this is confirmed on other S4T's, I probably would look at another Tri-Band. I can see it now, you walk into a building with somewhat poor coverage, and you need to use your data for some important reason, and you have no LTE or 3G.  Not good. That is FRUSTRATION.  Nobody needs that.   I can not believe that Samsung would put a device out that acts this way.  It is a very simple task to scan for 3G anytime LTE is not available.

We need to have this verified by somebody else with a new S4T.

Could part of the slow fallback be because the LTE site are 100% positively NV and 3G sites are often legacy so the issue may go away when all are on the same network. This issue did give me another good reason to wait a bit longer to upgrade to see if others have it and maybe other phones too.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Could part of the slow fallback be because the LTE site are 100% positively NV and 3G sites are often legacy so the issue may go away when all are on the same network. This issue did give me another good reason to wait a bit longer to upgrade to see if others have it and maybe other phones too.

Sent from my SPH-L900

There are no legacy sites left in Northern Nevada. All are NV upgraded. Only waiting for backhaul on the 3G sites to turn on LTE.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

The BAD:

The GOOD:

In Omaha, my S4T has never exhibited any such noticeable access lag (changing either direction) for data.  If the LTE signal drops out, and there is a 3G signal available, it jumps to it without any inconvenience.  Streaming *may* hiccup for a few seconds, but nothing unreasonable.  A page being loaded will instantly start downloading again if a manual reload is triggered.

If the phone is using data in 3G, it will not hunt for 4G until it is done with an active data connection on that 3G.

If you are streaming or otherwise stressing the 3G connect so it doesn't go idle at any time, S4T will not start to hunt for 4G until the 3G data stream goes idle for a few moments.

Once it does connect to 4G, the data can be used practically immediately.

• Like 2

In Omaha, my S4T has never exhibited any such noticeable access lag (changing either direction) for data.  If the LTE signal drops out, and there is a 3G signal available, it jumps to it without any inconvenience.  Streaming *may* hiccup for a few seconds, but nothing unreasonable.  A page being loaded will instantly start downloading again if a manual reload is triggered.

If the phone is using data in 3G, it will not hunt for 4G until it is done with an active data connection on that 3G.

If you are streaming or otherwise stressing the 3G connect so it doesn't go idle at any time, S4T will not start to hunt for 4G until the 3G data stream goes idle for a few moments.

Once it does connect to 4G, the data can be used practically immediately.

Now this sounds about right.  Your experience is fine with me.  Nothing there that would sound unreasonable. We need a few more users to verify that their S4T works like yours.  If we get that, then there is some unusual situation with the phone or the location of the S4T that will not grab 3G when LTE service drops.