Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

Does ram have a noticeable effect on android phones? At some point is it just overkill?

Well it depends but in the case of samsung then yes, it does make a difference and thats because touchwiz is such a resource hog.  Look at the One with sense 5/5.5 compared to the gs4 with touchwiz, the performance between the two is night and day.  Now don't get me wrong, the gs4 is a great device but once you start using the One you will easily be able to tell the difference between the two.  Samsung tried to compensate by using an overclocked s600 but in real world use it was no where near as responsive as the One.  A device like the note 3 is probably the best multitasking device on the market and I can assure you that things would be running as smoothly if it didn't have 3 gigs of ram.

Also, I can't stand the fact that they announce a device now but it won't be available for another month and a half, why? This makes absolutely no sense to me at all.  I don't know how many times I have said this but this is one thing apple always gets right.  They make an official announcement then its released with in the next 2 weeks at the most.  

Also, I can't stand the fact that they announce a device now but it won't be available for another month and a half, why? This makes absolutely no sense to me at all. I don't know how many times I have said this but this is one thing apple always gets right. They make an official announcement then its released with in the next 2 weeks at the most.

Plus, I'm sure HTC will make an effort to announce the new One before the S5 is released.

My comments on the S5:

- Ultra low power mode is smart.

- Great they brought the water resistance to the S5.

- The fingerprint scanner better work well or they'll have an embarrassment vs. Apple and the iCopy crowd will have a field day.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Plus, I'm sure HTC will make an effort to announce the new One before the S5 is released.

My comments on the S5:

- Ultra low power mode is smart.

- The fingerprint scanner better work well or they'll have an embarrassment vs. Apple and the iCopy crowd will have a field day.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Well htc is suppose to make their announcement on march 25th so if they can release with in two weeks at the most after that then I think they will be in a great position.  They won't match the gs5 numbers but they should be able to steal just enough thunder to far exceed their own forecasts.

I guess my backorder for the N5 can stay in place . It's probably going to be about half the price of the S5 and Knox free. Still the S5 has everything I had on my want list.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Im hoping for an N5 price drop after the release of the S5 too.

Yes, those of you who like to use your handsets on the toilet, rejoice.  But just remember that water resistance does not equal pee and poop immunity.

:P

AJ

Yes, those of you who like to use your handsets on the toilet, rejoice. But just remember that water resistance does not equal pee and poop immunity.

AJ

I currently use a Kyocera Torque, which is the "crime deterrent" (see Nextel era 2005 YouTube if you don't get the reference) of phones. A few weeks back, a woman sitting next to me knocked her full beer over on my phone. The bar went silent because they thought Wayne Brady was going to choke a bitch. I just smiled, reached across the bar to the sink, and washed my phone off. If you frequent bars, you have no idea how valuable IP67 is!!
  • Like 1

Bezel be gone... Nope... It's even more prevalent on this phone than the GS4. Too bad I love the LG designs but don't quite like their UI (been getting spoiled after owning the Nexus 5). I'm also a little sad that to get water resistant capability they had to put a cover over the charging port. Luckily I have a few wireless chargers but I will need to get one for the car too since I don't have fingernails to pull open the cover.

I thought that this year would be the year of the software but Samsung feel flat in this regard. I wanted Samsung to compete with active notifications, knock on, quick access to camera, Google voice listening, etc. Oh well... Time for Samsung to milk the cow.

Yes, those of you who like to use your handsets on the toilet, rejoice.  But just remember that water resistance does not equal pee and poop immunity.

AJ

ohhhh do i have a story about an old at&t cordless phone, my GF calling, and waking me up, and a toilet  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

in the end the at&t store in the mall warrantied the phone :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:  

Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:30:00 EST

Statement on Samsung Galaxy S 5 from Sprint Featuring Super-High-Speed Network Access with Sprint Spark

"OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), February 24, 2014 - Sprint (NYSE: S) will be the only wireless carrier to offer the U.S. variant of Samsung Galaxy S® 5 paired with the super-high-speed network capability of Sprint Spark™ and the significant savings of the Sprint Framily Plan in April. Introduced by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today at Mobile World Congress, Galaxy S 5 is the next generation of the award-winning Samsung Galaxy S family of smartphones.

David Owens, vice president of Product, Sprint, issued the following statement:

“Sprint and Samsung have a strong history of innovation over almost 20 years, and Galaxy S 5 powered by Sprint Spark continues that legacy. Sprint will offer Galaxy S 5 with the ability to use all three bands of 4G LTE wireless network spectrum available on the Sprint network to provide our customers with an enhanced LTE experience. Best of all, Sprint customers can take advantage of Sprint’s new Framily Plan with Galaxy S 5, letting customers share savings without the hassle of a monthly contract or sharing a bill with someone.”

Customers can preregister and enter to win a Galaxy S 5 smartphone or a $100 Visa gift card.1 For more information and the official rules, see www.sprint.com/galaxys5.

Galaxy S 5 from Sprint also supports Pinsight Touch, a nationwide, open platform powered by Sprint for NFC-enabling mobile applications and services across transit, access control and payment verticals. The service from Pinsight Media+ provides a direct path for brands and credential issuers to NFC-enable their own branded applications and share secured access to those credentials with other trusted applications using the embedded secure element on Sprint NFC devices.

Additional details, including pricing and availability will be made available in the coming weeks..."

http://newsroom.sprint.com/news-releases/statement-on-samsung-galaxy-s-5-from-sprint-featuring-super-high-speed-network-access-with-sprint-spark.htm

• Like 1

Mon, 24 Feb 2014 02:30:00 EST

Statement on Samsung Galaxy S 5 from Sprint Featuring Super-High-Speed Network Access with Sprint Spark

"OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), February 24, 2014 - Sprint (NYSE: S) will be the only wireless carrier to offer the U.S. variant of Samsung Galaxy S® 5 paired with the super-high-speed network capability of Sprint Spark™ and the significant savings of the Sprint Framily Plan in April. Introduced by Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. today at Mobile World Congress, Galaxy S 5 is the next generation of the award-winning Samsung Galaxy S family of smartphones.

Wow what coup. NOT. Sprint will actually be THE ONLY carrier with the S5 that will run on the Sprint network and Fram(Crap)ily plans. Who would have believed it. DUH!!! :)

I can see the S5 has some improvements but underwhelmed. I really would have thought they would have gone to 5.2 inch screen without making the phone bigger let alone making it quite a bit bigger for .1"

Edited by chgoguy80

Wow what coup. NOT. Sprint will actually be THE ONLY carrier with the S5 that will run on the Sprint network and Fram(Crap)ily plans. Who would have believed it. DUH!!! :)

I dont understand that statement? If it is triband, that is a benefit to anyone that has that phone. It's not a huge upgrade but for people stuck with older model androids or other devices it might be just what they were looking for. 

S4GRU might want to consider a Sony section (I couldn't find it) for slightly disgruntled Samsung fans like me who are leaning toward the Xperia Z2.

To be fair, the S5 is an order of magnitude more powerful than what I have now (S1 variant).

But relative to where top-end phones can go, I think the Xperia is going to finally be my upgrade unless 1) it doesn't become available in the U.S. soon (boooooooooo...c'mon, Sony, you're an international company--COMPETE!) or 2) HTC comes out with something amazing.

And I suppose there's always 3) unless Apple manages to brainwash me (not likely).

Never thought I'd consider Sony again for a major electronics purchase (not being a videogamer anymore) but you can't paint any of these major MFRs with the same brush on every product after all!

Edited by dergasmann

I'll be pissed off at the guys on WiFi + LTE hogging a sector. Samsung enginerrrd Simple radio aggregation,but it hurts operators and customers. Mindlessly streaming 4K over your 12mbps cable wifi at home and also drawing 3mbps for Sprint. You see almost no improvement in your video,but the folks who are mobile cannot load a webpage.

• Like 2

I'll be pissed off at the guys on WiFi + LTE hogging a sector. Samsung enginerrrd Simple radio aggregation,but it hurts operators and customers. Mindlessly streaming 4K over your 12mbps cable wifi at home and also drawing 3mbps for Sprint. You see almost no improvement in your video,but the folks who are mobile cannot load a webpage.

I am hoping that Sprint will restrict download to around 1 mb or less when this is occurring. Having idiots doing that could cripple even b41 :badidea: . This isn't powered by magic like pCell technology which I still have no idea how will work. But let's stay on topic. Here's to hoping that the S5 isn't popular with consumers and they just stick with their s4 or go to the G2, Nexus devices. 

Personally, if I was with an S3 or later model android device I would not upgrade to the S5.  The nexus and its price range catches my eye, and the G2 is perrtyyy. Also a plus they are both triband.

I am hoping that Sprint will restrict download to around 1 mb or less when this is occurring. Having idiots doing that could cripple even b41 :badidea: . This isn't powered by magic like pCell technology which I still have no idea how will work. But let's stay on topic. Here's to hoping that the S5 isn't popular with consumers and they just stick with their s4 or go to the G2, Nexus devices. 

Personally, if I was with an S3 or later model android device I would not upgrade to the S5.  The nexus and its price range catches my eye, and the G2 is perrtyyy. Also a plus they are both triband.

I think it will be a popular device. Samsung has a cult following.

• Like 1

Data abusers with massive e-penises.

AJ

I always assumed data abusers had micro peeners.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3

S4GRU might want to consider a Sony section (I couldn't find it) for slightly disgruntled Samsung fans like me who are leaning toward the Xperia Z2.

To be fair, the S5 is an order of magnitude more powerful than what I have now (S1 variant).

But relative to where top-end phones can go, I think the Xperia is going to finally be my upgrade unless 1) it doesn't become available in the U.S. soon (boooooooooo...c'mon, Sony, you're an international company--COMPETE!) or 2) HTC comes out with something amazing.

And I suppose there's always 3) unless Apple manages to brainwash me (not likely).

Never thought I'd consider Sony again for a major electronics purchase (not being a videogamer anymore) but you can't paint any of these major MFRs with the same brush on every product after all!

We will add a Sony section once there is credible evidence that there will be a Sony device for the Sprint network. Until then, Sony threads belong in the misc section in the Smartphones forum. People are welcome to discuss Sony there.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

Im hoping for an N5 price drop after the release of the S5 too.

Don't hold your breath. The N4 didn't drop in price until Google dropped it completely.

Plus it's already so cheap with top of the line specs. How much more could you want?

Also I want to reiterate some thoughts on here. I was a little excited for this Unpacked, but it became a massive yawn-fest once I saw the phone. Nothing new, moving along.

-Luis

• Like 2