Samsung Galaxy S5 Announced - Launch Date 4/11/14

illest_ios

why is this disappointing for samsung fans? Did they show cpu, gpu, or ram spec? I saw 1080p screen, 16 mp camera, and 2800mah battery. Then they showed a bunch of bloat features.

I am waiting for cpu specs before I get disappointed.

Here is a good article of the S5's specs and offerings.  http://recode.net/2014/02/24/first-look-samsung-goes-back-to-basics-with-galaxy-s5/

Do we have any idea yet if the GS5 is going to support a plethora of LTE bands out of the box, similar to the N5, which would enable worldwide LTE (via roaming or SIM swap) and also be a domestic carrier agnostic device (like the N5)?

It was noted that it supports 9 bands out of the box, or something similar to that.

I honestly am looking forward to the S5. Yes the hardware is not the groundbreaking spec war we all were hoping for, but if they streamlined the UX, and made it work "better", I'd buy it. 

The camera is a huge feature for me, as I use my phone almost extensively for pictures. A 2K screen would have been useless to me.

Here is a good article of the S5's specs and offerings. http://recode.net/2014/02/24/first-look-samsung-goes-back-to-basics-with-galaxy-s5/

So it's essentially the "S" version of the galaxy s4. It looks pretty decent. The finger print sensor is a nice touch, obviously that was coming regardless of which side did it first. I take pictures pretty much whenever I am outside and moving. If I see something worth snapping, I grab it. So the camera would be a winner for me. Even though my 5s has proven to take some damn good photos, I'm sure the extra mp would help in some instances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After buying a Nexus 5, I can't imagine buying ANY phone that doesn't have all the bands I need for at least Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T. If the customers are going to be paying for the phone, I want the freedom to bounce around to different carriers or supplement them from time to time. Case in point... My wife and I are on Sprint. She is traveling overseas for 2 months so I put her phone in seasonal standby and now she is on T-mobile.

Btw... I thought the M8 was just getting publicity for all the poor design choices they made that make it worse than the current generation phone (too much useless area/bezels... They should just make the HTC logo their home key)

I am in a similar boat.  I have to take an unlocked iPhone 4 with me when I travel abroad so I can swap in a GSM sim card from a local carrier.  I would love for the massive amount of bands and network technologies that the N5 supports out of the box to become a standard on flagship LTE devices from Samsung, LG, HTC, etc.  That way people like us will only need one device (with SIM swap) for both use domestically with Sprint and while abroad.

It looks like somebody changed the thread title.  Remember, do not do that to a longstanding thread without including the previous title in parentheses or brackets.

As for the Samsung Galaxy S5, it is one of the first handsets to support Wi-Fi 2x2 MIMO, but it also includes a "Download Booster" that uses Wi-Fi and LTE simultaneously for greater throughput.  That is potentially bad news because many users then are going to be on both Wi-Fi and LTE at home when they should be on only Wi-Fi.  This is just going to chip away at LTE capacity for those truly mobile users away from Wi-Fi.  Grrr...

AJ

• Like 8

So it's essentially the "S" version of the galaxy s4. It looks pretty decent. The finger print sensor is a nice touch, obviously that was coming regardless of which side did it first. I take pictures pretty much whenever I am outside and moving. If I see something worth snapping, I grab it. So the camera would be a winner for me. Even though my 5s has proven to take some damn good photos, I'm sure the extra mp would help in some instances.

Im a bit underwhelmed by first look at the GS5, I think its a good looking devices physically, but other than the traditional next generation hardware upgrades I don't see much here to get excited about.  But I think the same goes for the HTC One 2 (or plus It might be called).  That is to be announced a in a few weeks in NY and all the initial spec and rumor pages out there show a similar device, just with some upgraded hardware.  Perhaps 2014 is not a revolutionary year in the Android LTE device world.

It seems all everyone cared about was getting the newest processor, and an more resolution on the screen. But the screen would of increased cost, with little difference. And a better processor probably the same. They seemed to actually improve on features that people complained about most, like the bloatware.

When I heard this combined wifi+LTE during the keynote, I cringed. AJ is right. Why do people need to be on both, hogging mobile resources? This is a huge mistake from a flagship device. Millions will be buying this phone, and those millions will never be completely off the mobile network.

When I heard this combined wifi+LTE during the keynote, I cringed. AJ is right. Why do people need to be on both, hogging mobile resources? This is a huge mistake from a flagship device. Millions will be buying this phone, and those millions will never be completely off the mobile network.

Maybe Sprint will do something with their GS5's that only allow this with a B41 connection present?  Lord knows this would be awful for the B25 side of things, we have enough issues there as is now.

Maybe Sprint will do something with their GS5's that only allow this with a B41 connection present? Lord knows this would be awful for the B25 side of things, we have enough issues there as is now.

It's doubtful that Sprint would have baked-in band selection on this new "whatever it's called" feature. It will most likely just be whatever band you're on will become part of combo.

It seems all everyone cared about was getting the newest processor, and an more resolution on the screen. But the screen would of increased cost, with little difference. And a better processor probably the same. They seemed to actually improve on features that people complained about most, like the bloatware.

To go into the screen thing and the processor. When I switched to my 5s from my 5 I barely noticed an increase in speed from jumping to apps, etc. As stated many times before, I did it because of B26 and I realized that would ultimately be worth it. A higher ppi wouldn't have made a signal difference to me. I can never see the pixels on my phone unless I stick it 3 inches from my face so I see no point in having a 2k resolution, or 4k or whatever resolution a  phone. Sounds like nothing but a battery drain, and "e-penis" extender. Had the 5 supported b26, I would still have my 5 and would've saved a few bucks too.

• Like 1

It's doubtful that Sprint would have baked-in band selection on this new "whatever it's called" feature. It will most likely just be whatever band you're on will become part of combo.

That sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Why that would be implemented into a phone is beyond me. Especially since most wifi networks are significantly faster than what LTE can provide....except of course B41. Crowding an overcrowded band with people downloading stuff on LTE and wifi at the same time is stupid. I wonder what ATT and Verizon think of this considering the data caps. 

That sounds like a problem waiting to happen. Why that would be implemented into a phone is beyond me. Especially since most wifi networks are significantly faster than what LTE can provide....except of course B41. Crowding an overcrowded band with people downloading stuff on LTE and wifi at the same time is stupid. I wonder what ATT and Verizon think of this considering the data caps.

He said it during the keynote. "Now, you can download that 1gb movie in 30 seconds, even before your popcorn is finished popping." Who does this?

He said it during the keynote. "Now, you can download that 1gb movie in 30 seconds, even before your popcorn is finished popping." Who does this?

Data abusers with massive e-penises.

AJ

• Like 7

I assume there will be a setting to restrict this. And uh, besides google fiber? Which company offers gb speeds on either LTE or wifi and doesn't charge 8 trillion dollars per gb. I'll stick with a 30 minute download or so for a average sized movie and make my popcorn (I don't know , when I am ready to watch the movie?) lol

• Like 2

well this blows.....

whats next???

looks like non removable, battery and sd card phones may be the case...

sigh :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:  :unsure:

the network is finally upgraded/ing, and all the good phones, are/were in the past lol <_<  <_<  <_<

It would probably be best to hold off for a while or go get a nexus if ya don't have one. Or if you're into iPhones the 5S and 5C may not be tri band but they're dual band which is better than single band. That's for sure...

Snapdragon 800? 805? I just see speed and quad core.

Sent from my SPH-L900

Its suppose to be an s801 which is nothing more than a slightly overclocked s800.

• Like 1

I guess my backorder for the N5 can stay in place . It's probably going to be about half the price of the S5 and Knox free. Still the S5 has everything I had on my want list.

Sent from my SPH-L900

• Like 1

I'm not very impressed by the S5. I can't believe they didn't even up the RAM from the S4.

I think I've narrowed my list to S4t, a Note 3 (only if a new tri-band version is released), or possibly a Nexus 5. My upgrade (if it still exists) is in July.

I could always try to wait for the Note 4 but I don't know if I can hold off that long. It would be a 2 to 3 more months to wait. Not sure if I have that much self control.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk