iPhone 5 Facts/Rumors

legion125

Honestly, all I am thinking is meh, and this is coming from what some would call a iFan. owner of macbook pro/ipad/iphone, but I do not blindly follow.

The lumia 920 has me more excited than the iphone 5.

what exactly is "meh" about it, or, a better question what is anymore "meh" about this than the 4s

Edited by Morningside78

Honestly, all I am thinking is meh, and this is coming from what some would call a iFan. owner of macbook pro/ipad/iphone, but I do not blindly follow.

I am definitely not an apple fan at all but I agree with you. The phone has nice specs for a current device but I was shocked that they would still have the same camera from the 4s, now granted the parts for the camera are smaller but its still the same camera. I was also hoping it would have at least a 720p 4" screen, not sure where they got the 1136*640 from(not really that big of a difference anyway). This was more like a iphone 4s s. The jump from the 3gs to the 4 was pretty substantial, the jump from the 4 to the 4s was minor(as expected) but I would have thought that the jump from the 4s to the 5 would be a lot bigger that this. And whats the deal with no NFC?

• Like 1

The whole package. I like the fact that they have a larger display, but it is not even HD. The two tone looks ugly and serves no purpose. It does not have NFC or wireless charging. Siri still seems lackluster, plus google voice search stomped it in every video I have seen. Also only 16gb in the base model with no upgradable memory. That should have been bumped to 32, especially when competitors are pushing out phones with 16gb internal and mcroSD expansion. IMO, the new iPod Touch has a better exterior design than the iP5.

Just overall feeling is meh. nothing revolutionary about it.

Also only 16gb in the base model with no upgradable memory. That should have been bumped to 32, especially when competitors are pushing out phones with 16gb internal and mcroSD expansion.

Just another way to make the phone look competitive in price but squeeze out another $100 from the consumer for $16.80 worth of memory between the 16GB and 32GB NAND memory chips.

Source: http://www.isuppli.c...-Materials.aspx

Edit: Just to be fair and balanced, I am not picking on Apple with the memory price-gouging. The Nexus 7 has a $50 price gap between the 8GB and 16GB models. It seems obscene to charge $6.25 per GB for memory that costs about $1 per GB to the MFG.

• Like 1

I am definitely not an apple fan at all but I agree with you. The phone has nice specs for a current device but I was shocked that they would still have the same camera from the 4s, now granted the parts for the camera are smaller but its still the same camera. I was also hoping it would have at least a 720p 4" screen, not sure where they got the 1136*640 from(not really that big of a difference anyway). This was more like a iphone 4s s. The jump from the 3gs to the 4 was pretty substantial, the jump from the 4 to the 4s was minor(as expected) but I would have thought that the jump from the 4s to the 5 would be a lot bigger that this. And whats the deal with no NFC?

I think the screen resolution is just so that existing apps can be stretched to fit screen without distortion. I'm sure NFC will come next year once apple works out deals for its wallet system. As far as the camera, it's an improvement over previous version. How much of an improvement? I guess we'll see. They'll still probably sell 10 million of them the first week.

I think the A6, the increased screen size and addition of LTE are a huge upgrade from the more or less pointless 4s

that being said, it runs into the same situation that every LTE device does for me and that is that I have zero intention of buying an LTE phone until Sprint has working LTE coverage in New York City.

• Like 1

were you inordinately disappointed when the 4s was announced?

I do not think so. It did not deter me from getting one, which is my current phone. Did I want a different design? yea sure, but the 4 is still one of the best looking phones. Heck, Id rather have a stretched 4 over the current iP5.

were you inordinately disappointed when the 4s was announced?

See this comparison... http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19512_7-57510949-233/so-whats-new-comparing-the-iphone-4s-and-iphone-5/

Basically all that is changed is adding LTE, slightly taller screen to make it 16:9 instead of 3:2, and an A6 processor.

Oh yeah, and 1 more microphone, better front facing camera, thinner, lighter, taller, new proprietary connector making all existing docks, accessories, chargers etc mostly useless.

Yawn...

• Like 2

And that is probably exactly why Apple is trying to sue they hell out of everyone. I think even apple knows the iPhone5 is "meh," and may not be able to compete on its own. Then again, there really were not any major upgrades from the iPhone4 to 4s, either. see the trend?

• Like 3

I think the A6, the increased screen size and addition of LTE are a huge upgrade from the more or less pointless 4s

that being said, it runs into the same situation that every LTE device does for me and that is that I have zero intention of buying an LTE phone until Sprint has working LTE coverage in New York City.

Same here. I have no intention of upgrading from my 4S until I can reliably get LTE on all 3bands, or at least 800 and 1900MHz. Not that I care for NYC that much:).

Edited by bigsnake49

Same here. I have no intention of upgrading from my 4S until I can reliably get LTE on all 3bands, or at least 800 and 1900MHz. Not that I care for NYC that much:).

amen. plus I'm seriously skeptical about Sprint's ability to deliver any of the things they've promised (particularly within this market) and to do so within an acceptable timeframe. my monthly Sprint bill is very high and to continue paying them nearly $3K yearly for data speeds that don't crack 0.3Mbps in my neighborhood is just tossing money in the garbage. to get on the hook for a new device and a even longer period of time is borderline masochism.

I do not think so. It did not deter me from getting one, which is my current phone. Did I want a different design? yea sure, but the 4 is still one of the best looking phones. Heck, Id rather have a stretched 4 over the current iP5.

I am not gonna lie, in my opinion the ip5 design is by far the best looking out of all the iphones so far. I think it looks very classy with the two tone look on the back.

• Like 3

amen. plus I'm seriously skeptical about Sprint's ability to deliver any of the things they've promised (particularly within this market) and to do so within an acceptable timeframe. my monthly Sprint bill is very high and to continue paying them nearly $3K yearly for data speeds that don't crack 0.3Mbps in my neighborhood is just tossing money in the garbage. to get on the hook for a new device and a even longer period of time is borderline masochism.

Yeah, same here. I used to be a phone geek once, always getting the latest and greatest. No more. Let somebody else be the guinea pig. Now I'm the lumbering ox. I don't even upgrade my phones to the latest upgrade unless I'm convinced the release is stable.

I think most of us around here are well aware of your frustrations being with sprint. As you already know sprint isn't the only carrier that will have this phone so based on your findings on s4gru, you should be able to make an educated decision as far as determining whether to stay with them or not.

I am not gonna lie, in my opinion the ip5 design is by far the best looking out of all the iphones so far. I think it looks very classy with the two tone look on the back.

It seems like it depends on the picture. some pictures make it look awesome, while others are less flattering to the device. I think a hands on video will be more telling.

• Like 1

I think most of us around here are well aware of your frustrations being with sprint. As you already know sprint isn't the only carrier that will have this phone so based on your findings on s4gru, you should be able to make an educated decision as far as determining whether to stay with them or not.

yes and that's why I'm here. basically I'm trying to determine (1) if there's any significant chance Sprint will be able to offer service comparable to Verizon and (1a) how long that will take to happen. I don't have the disposable income to burn on phones and lackluster data service the way some here do so I have to be a bit more careful about my decisions.

Edited by Morningside78