http://www.imore.com/sprint-hopes-make-all-their-smartphones-sim-unlockable-february-2015

"Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically."

Looks like it will apply to both iPhones and other mobile devices.

http://www.imore.com/sprint-hopes-make-all-their-smartphones-sim-unlockable-february-2015

"Sprint is working to ensure that all devices developed and launched on or after February 11, 2015 are capable of being unlocked domestically."

Topic Merged.

• Like 1

I wonder why the media hasn't publicized this a lot yet. If it were another carrier, they'd be all over this.

Edit: Now they're picking up. The comments are either "B.S. this is a gimmick." or "Finally! This is great, thanks Sprint."

It's really quite obvious who the haters are.

• Like 2

I wonder why the media hasn't publicized this a lot yet. If it were another carrier, they'd be all over this.

Edit: Now they're picking up. The comments are either "B.S. this is a gimmick." or "Finally! This is great, thanks Sprint."

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

• Like 2

Everything sprint does is going to have something negative commented. Hell sprint could have the fastest and most widespread coverage and people would still b*tch. Like Jossman posted, Haters gonna hate!
  • Like 3

haters-gonna-hate.jpg

I must be slacking today, you beat me to the haters going to hate picture! ;)

• Like 1

In fairness it wasn't 100% Sprint hate, there was a little general CDMA hate from the GSM lovers in the mix...

• Like 1

Im officially buying a new phone next year. So far the 2015 devices will be unl-ockable out the box, support the roaming hub, and carrier aggregation on the 2.5 band. Crossing my fingers some of the devices will support the 600mhz band as well and volte lol.

I plan on using my insurance to trade in my iPhone 5 to a 5c which will give me the band 26 addition so I feel instead of buying the iPhone 6, perhaps the 6s will be a better investment since I have to buy phones full retail price

Devices still need to manufactured to actually use the correct bands. So unless this will allow device manufactures to have every American band + International bands, you're still going to run into issues using it on another carrier.

So I guess that means the iPhone 7, Galaxy S7, Note 5, Mega 3, LG 4 or is it 5.  

Would this be because they're joining the Competitive Carriers Association and the Rural Cellular Association?

Don't those carriers use 700 MHz and per FCC rules, have to be unlocked like Verizon phones are?

Would this be because they're joining the Competitive Carriers Association and the Rural Cellular Association?

Don't those carriers use 700 MHz and per FCC rules, have to be unlocked like Verizon phones are?

Only band 13 750 is required.

Sent from my Nexus 5

• Like 1

Fixed that Fevruary for ya. Thought there was a Subway Commercial going on or something....

Queue my inner AJ in 5....4.....3....2....1....

Ah, the day is mine, Trebek.  The answer is Febtober.

AJ

• Like 2

Sprint actually does unlock phones, at the very least the iPhone. I know two people who had their iPhone 5s unlocked. Sprint did not make it the easiest process, but it was done. It pretty much depends who you are, and what you are willing to do, but once approved it takes anywhere from minutes to an hour depending on load.

cool thanks, I tried many, many times to get my phone unlocked sprint say they could not do it, no knew how to do it even though apple say they can, i dont get it

Sprint actually does unlock phones, at the very least the iPhone. I know two people who had their iPhone 5s unlocked. Sprint did not make it the easiest process, but it was done. It pretty much depends who you are, and what you are willing to do, but once approved it takes anywhere from minutes to an hour depending on load.

I think you may have had your phone unlocked for INTERNATIONAL use, not DOMESTIC use, which is what people are having a problem with. Correct me if I am wrong in my assumption.

-Anthony

This is total bull crap. Not only is there no such inability by Sprint to unlock devices for domestic GSM/UMTS/LTE carriers, they are outright lying to everyone saying it'll take two years to implement.

True that. They have unlocks on the G2 and other many Samsung devices on XDA. They're locked because of Sprint. Not manufacturers.

Sent from my LG-LS980

AT&T and T-Mobile can ensure that their devices are unlocked and support CDMA2000 and Sprint specific LTE bands.  Until then, the complainers are trying to tilt the playing field unfairly toward the namby pamby Eurasian centric 3GPP operators.  And those folks can go get bent.

AJ

• Like 2