Is HD Voice now on? Mine appears to be working

Sprint-to-Sprint sounded better than Sprint-to-Landline. Makes me wonder if there needs to be anything more done on the backend...

Calls to landlines will not benefit, as those will almost certainly be transcoded to PCM with an 8 kHz sample rate at some point.  In other words, those calls will not have an extended frequency range.

AJ

• Like 2

Calls to landlines will not benefit, as those will almost certainly be transcoded to PCM with an 8 kHz sample rate at some point. In other words, those calls will not have an extended frequency range.

AJ

Like copying a CD to a cassette tape.

• Like 1

Calls to landlines will not benefit, as those will almost certainly be transcoded to PCM with an 8 kHz sample rate at some point.  In other words, those calls will not have an extended frequency range.

AJ

AJ, does the "rate_reduc:0" mean that the rate hasn't been reduced?

Glad to see it's working for others. Mine doesn't work all the time depends on where I am and who I'm talking with. Is this something the other carriers might pick up? Would love to see sprint to verizon support but one thing at a time. This took for absolutely ever for them to get it working.

Glad to see it's working for others. Mine doesn't work all the time depends on where I am and who I'm talking with. Is this something the other carriers might pick up? Would love to see sprint to verizon support but one thing at a time. This took for absolutely ever for them to get it working.

No other carrier is going to deploy EVRC-NW. Verizon is going to use VoLTE (can't remember it's codec) and AT&T and T-Mobile are in the 3GPP way of doing things and thus use AMR and not EVRC.

AJ, does the "rate_reduc:0" mean that the rate hasn't been reduced?

I expect so, though "enginerring" screens are often a bit loose and vague in their terminology.

But EVRC-B -- of which EVRC-NW is basically an HD Voice extension -- allows a network controlled tradeoff between fidelity and capacity.  When the network starts to run low on capacity, it can reduce the number of rate 1 frames allowed, forcing more rate 1/2 frames as the highest encoded bit rate, thereby improving Ec/Io but lowering voice quality.

AJ

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

... All Sprint Devices were showing either Service Option 73, or EVRC-NW (the LG OG showed EVRC-NW). All calls were on PCS, connected to a 3G NV site, except for the landline (obviously). ...

So are you saying that the LG Optimus G can do HD-Voice? That is the very first time i have heard someone confirm HD-Voice on this handset for sprint! :) How do I pull up the engineering screen on the Optimus G?

So are you saying that the LG Optimus G can do HD-Voice? That is the very first time i have heard someone confirm HD-Voice on this handset for sprint! :) How do I pull up the engineering screen on the Optimus G?

Well, my co-worker's Optimus G either absolutely can do it, or the Enginerring Screen was lying to me.

I don't have an OG in front of me right now, but most engineering screens are gotten to by opening the Phone Dialer, and inputting "##33284#" (that's ##DEBUG#). If it asks for a lock code, it's 777468 (SPRINT), but I think only Samsung devices require that.

AJ

As an aside, I just remembered that my "landline" call wasn't to a physical landline at all; it was to a VoIP phone. I'm no expert, but depending on the way the call is switched, couldn't it still take some advantage of the enhanced quality?

As an aside, I just remembered that my "landline" call wasn't to a physical landline at all; it was to a VoIP phone. I'm no expert, but depending on the way the call is switched, couldn't it still take some advantage of the enhanced quality?

Doubtful.  From the Sprint network, the call almost undoubtedly hit the POTS network for transfer to the VoIP provider's network.  If so, that middle leg would be at POTS quality.

AJ

• Like 2

No other carrier is going to deploy EVRC-NW. Verizon is going to use VoLTE (can't remember it's codec) and AT&T and T-Mobile are in the 3GPP way of doing things and thus use AMR and not EVRC.

VoLTE is AMR-WB (AMR wide-band).  Why is Sprint not doing VoLTE?  Circuit switching is old technology.

VoLTE is AMR-WB (AMR wide-band).  Why is Sprint not doing VoLTE?  Circuit switching is old technology.

I cannot comment for why Sprint isn't but i will say from extensive voip testing that circuit switched calls are the highest quality/most reliable. I'll keep zipped on my opinions regarding channel width and the problems/benifits that follow.

-William

Alcatel-Lucent region in SoCal, sepcifically San Diego Market, is definitely on HD Voice. Between HTC One and iPhone awesome voice. First noticed yesterday after actually understanding my wife in a phone call for once..(She speaks incredibly fast and has ADD)....

• Like 1

VoLTE requires at least AMR-NB, but AMR-WB (3GPP HD voice) is encouraged. There is a push to include AAC-ELB (Full HD Voice) as well. My hope is that Sprint will be able to hold back until Full HD is standardized so it will be supported on all Sprint VoLTE devices.

Alcatel-Lucent region in SoCal, sepcifically San Diego Market, is definitely on HD Voice. Between HTC One and iPhone awesome voice. First noticed yesterday after actually understanding my wife in a phone call for once..(She speaks incredibly fast and has ADD)....

Screenshot a 1X engineering screen during a call and then you'll really know for if it's EVRC-NW (HD voice).

Let me guess -- this is what you have heard.  Now, do you really know what you are talking about?  If so, state your case.  Otherwise, your advocacy of VoLTE is lunacy.

AJ

Screenshot a 1X engineering screen during a call and then you'll really know for if it's EVRC-NW (HD voice).

I've been getting that here in Visalia for sure since right after I got my Nexus 5.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

uploadfromtaptalk1387432765400.jpg

How do you go into debug when on a call. I got on Optimus G, if it makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

How do you go into debug when on a call. I got on Optimus G, if it makes a difference.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

When in the the call, in the dial pad type in ##DEBUG# and then select 1X engineering.