HTC M8/New Flagship

Paynefanbro

:'(

As much as I'm enjoying the Nexus 5, I would still like them to continue on with their build quality cause going back to a plastic phone is not so exciting.

No, the build quality will not be a huge step backward, but look for it to be more akin to that of the HTC One X or HTC One S of two years ago.  The amount of CNC work required to mill the HTC One out of a solid block of aluminum is likely just too excessive for an encore after modest sales.

AJ

No, the build quality will not be a huge step backward, but look for it to be more akin to that of the HTC One X or HTC One S of two years ago.  The amount of CNC work required to mill the HTC One out of a solid block of aluminum is likely just too excessive for an encore after modest sales.

AJ

Well... You make a good point.

-Luis

AJ

Really? You think so?  I am still thinking they will go with aluminum just with some minor differences.

More than a few sites are reporting the One successor will have the Snapdragon 800 and 2 GB or RAM.  The Snapdragon 800 is OK, but isn't the RAM a little on the small side?

I mean, the G2 has the Snapdragon 800 and 3 GB of RAM, and can already be had for $50 (or less, depending on where you buy it).  Can HTC really expect to sell a flagship phone for a $200 contract price when the specs are equal to or less than something that's already available, for less money?

Reports are also saying that the camera would have some sort of extra lens that can be used in high or low light situations.  That adds some value, but still....

I've been holding out on replacing my original Evo 4G for the HTC One successor and I'm hoping I'm not disappointed and end up having to wait longer for something that is truly an upgrade over already-existing stuff.

More than a few sites are reporting the One successor will have the Snapdragon 800 and 2 GB or RAM.  The Snapdragon 800 is OK, but isn't the RAM a little on the small side?

I mean, the G2 has the Snapdragon 800 and 3 GB of RAM, and can already be had for $50 (or less, depending on where you buy it).  Can HTC really expect to sell a flagship phone for a $200 contract price when the specs are equal to or less than something that's already available, for less money?

Reports are also saying that the camera would have some sort of extra lens that can be used in high or low light situations.  That adds some value, but still....

I've been holding out on replacing my original Evo 4G for the HTC One successor and I'm hoping I'm not disappointed and end up having to wait longer for something that is truly an upgrade over already-existing stuff.

First, the general public really don't care much for lg devices and because of that they always end up with little resale value regardless of specs.  I said this months ago(don't feel like finding the post but I think it was in one of the lg threads) and will say it again, if anyone really wanted the lg g2 they need to wait a month or two and you could easily get it for well under $300 brand new off contract which is the case right now and the phone hasn't even been out for a full two months yet, in contrast to other devices like the htc one/gs4 for example those are still going for well over $400 to $500 9 months after the fact. 

Second, the only device that probably needs 3gb of ram right now are touchwiz devices because of the ridiculous amount of garbage samsung puts into it and lg isn't that far behind either but I do find lg's features to be a little bit more useful.  Samsung's issue is quantity of features and not quality of features, thats why the htc one ran circles around the gs4 when it came to overall performance and the gs4 had an overclocked s600 compared to the stock s600 in the One.  Also these spec wars have just about maxed themselves out.  My htc one/one max are just as fast as my n5 and of course the n5 is running stock android with an s800 so at the end of day it is going to boil down to user experience.  

S800/s805, 2gb/3gb of ram, 1080p/QuadHD, isn't as important to me this time around because all these devices are just as capable as the next so for me the only thing that will probably make me jump for joy would be a top notch camera and insane battery life.  Now you are still rocking an og Evo, which is 4 years old now, seriously? LOL

• Like 1

Very interesting!

Even though I have not had my HTC One for very long, I might have to use my other upgrade for it.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

If those are the specs, I'm getting it. That's awesome, especially with SD card slot.

Sent from my LG-G2

Every rumor I have totally dismissed so far but the source of this article was from mike1986 who knows his stuff if you spent any time with anything sense related over at xda.  He is speaking with a lot of confidence, not sure if he just wants to generate more clicks for his blog which is where he made his post but its tough to ignore this particular rumor.

• Like 2

A Google play edition would be awesome. I might have to start saving now just in case...

Definitely going to be a fun year for phones next year.

I don't see much value or point in a Google edition - if you can get the One+ and flash an AOSP-based ROM on it.  Official support sounds nice, but I wouldn't shell out $600+ for it, especially given that I have an upgrade available.

. . . Now you are still rocking an og Evo, which is 4 years old now, seriously? LOL

Heh.  Yes.  Evo 3D was unimpressive and I considered the 4G LTE.  I really wanted a One, but by the time those were rolling out we knew tri-band was coming so I decided to wait it out.  Almost bought a Nexus 5 on release day but I wasn't sold on the camera.  Also considered a G2 but it just seems too big.

So now it sounds like the One+ will be just as big.  Oh well.  At least it will be the beautiful aluminum construction!  And the Snapdragon 805 is a minor improvement too.

Heh.  Yes.  Evo 3D was unimpressive and I considered the 4G LTE.  I really wanted a One, but by the time those were rolling out we knew tri-band was coming so I decided to wait it out.  Almost bought a Nexus 5 on release day but I wasn't sold on the camera.  Also considered a G2 but it just seems too big.

So now it sounds like the One+ will be just as big.  Oh well.  At least it will be the beautiful aluminum construction!  And the Snapdragon 805 is a minor improvement too.

Days of flagship 4.3" devices are gone for the most part, any flagship you get will dwarf your og evo.  Also how can you say the s805 is a minor upgrade?  What where you expecting?

Days of flagship 4.3" devices are gone for the most part, any flagship you get will dwarf your og evo.  Also how can you say the s805 is a minor upgrade?  What where you expecting?

MOAR!  We want a 64-boob, octo-mom processor.

AJ

• Like 2

Also how can you say the s805 is a minor upgrade?  What where you expecting?

I should have said "nice" instead of "minor."  Compared to the Snapdragon 800, it will have extra imaging capabilities, right?  What else?  (I don't know).

MOAR!  We want a 64-boob, octo-mom processor.

AJ

Now that would be awesome, LOL.

I should have said "nice" instead of "minor."  Compared to the Snapdragon 800, it will have extra imaging capabilities, right?  What else?  (I don't know).

I think the biggest improvement with the 805 is on the graphics side, the 800 comes with the adreno 330 where as the 805 comes with the adreno 420 which offers a 40% bump in performance compared to the 330.  Regardless though, at this point in the game its going to be software that will be the deciding factor.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure why HTC insists on camera gimmicks.The EVO3D was a pretty poor camera even though it could shoot 3d (I had one before my current phone) and the while the HTC One takes good photos they are easily outclassed (in my opinion and others) by the LG G2 and S4.

Why can't HTC just offer a normal camera for once and if they insist on screwing with something they can be the first one to noticeably improve front facing cameras.

Not sure why HTC insists on camera gimmicks.The EVO3D was a pretty poor camera even though it could shoot 3d (I had one before my current phone) and the while the HTC One takes good photos they are easily outclassed (in my opinion and others) by the LG G2 and S4.

Why can't HTC just offer a normal camera for once and if they insist on screwing with something they can be the first one to noticeably improve front facing cameras.

I agree!

The camera on the HTC One does seem to take good pictures in most cases. There are a few times that the camera does not seem to focus right.

I completely agree that HTC should stop messing with the main camera and should improve the front facing camera.

Sent from my RCT6378W2

Well based on what I have read, if true, has me a little bit more excited.  There are lots of advantages of having dual sensors, I just hope that htc doesn't half ass it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the exact image sensor that will be in it:

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/product/new_products/sensor/1325631_37652.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/toshina-dual-lens-module-refocuses-smartphone-pictures/

Well based on what I have read, if true, has me a little bit more excited.  There are lots of advantages of having dual sensors, I just hope that htc doesn't half ass it. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this is the exact image sensor that will be in it:

http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/eng/product/new_products/sensor/1325631_37652.html

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/toshina-dual-lens-module-refocuses-smartphone-pictures/

Could you explain how this would impact the camera's performance, compared to the current 4 MP Ultrapixel camera?  Does this mean that the "ultrapixels" are gone?  So would we be giving up the solid low-light performance of the ultrapixels in exchange for sharper focusing and higher resolutions?

Obviously I don't know.....

Could you explain how this would impact the camera's performance, compared to the current 4 MP Ultrapixel camera?  Does this mean that the "ultrapixels" are gone?  So would we be giving up the solid low-light performance of the ultrapixels in exchange for sharper focusing and higher resolutions?

Obviously I don't know.....

I haven't come across anything that specifically talks about low light performance with the new toshiba sensor(assuming they are using this sensor) so I can't really say.  All they mention are improvements in autofocus, image quality and depth of field. Also keep in mind that the term "ultrapixel" is just marketing jargon but to htc it means 2um pixel size where as this new sensor is 1.4um pixel size.  So more than likely it may not perform as well in low light but software will also play a big role in that.   Anyway, regardless of what, I am sure htc will still use the term ultrapixels for this device as well even if it does have smaller size pixels.  

I am a little nervous though, the last couple of times they tried something new it didn't turn out as well.  With the og evo it had an excellent camera for its time but when the evo 3d came out and image quality turned for the worse in the name of 3d.  Next came the evo lte which, IMO, also had a great camera but then they came out with ultrapixel camera on the One.  Now the camera on the One is great but it takes away any possibly of cropping a photo if you really needed to do so.  With this, I don't know what to think, but I really hope it turns out for the best.

Now the camera on the One is great but it takes away any possibly of cropping a photo if you really needed to do so.  With this, I don't know what to think, but I really hope it turns out for the best.

I will say that it is nice being able to zoom into a photo on the Nexus 5 and it not be super blurry or pixelated. I did enjoy the camera on the One though. But it's a little too behind in terms of megapixel count (which I know is not the case for picture quality). Hopefully they can do something by where they keep the large pixels, but maybe give us an 8 MP camera...? Hopefully? Right?

-Luis