Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

LTE is for data only. no device uses lte to send sms on the sprint network

Uh, no. Your post is incorrect. Posts above already correctly cite that e/CSFB devices can idle solely on LTE and send/receive SMS tunneled through LTE.

AJ

• Like 1

LTE is not used to send sms on Sprint

When my Nexus 5 is in LTE only mode, sms will not send or receive. But when not in LTE only mode and connected to LTE, sms will send and receive over LTE without dropping back to 1X. I wonder what is different about AT&T's eCSFB enabled LTE network that allows sms while in LTE only mode.

LTE is not used to send sms on Sprint

No, you need to back up that assertion with evidence.  Your word is not sufficient.  Plenty of other posters, who are likely more knowledgeable on the matter than you are, have technical and empirical experience to the contrary.  e/CSFB is using LTE as the bearer for SMS.

AJ

• Like 4

No, you need to back up that assertion with evidence.  Your word is not sufficient.  Plenty of other posters, who are likely more knowledgeable on the matter than you are, have technical and empirical experience to the contrary.  e/CSFB is using LTE as the bearer for SMS.

AJ

they all have empirical evidence, my knowledge or word on this subject comes from my day to day lively hood.

Grandma:  " Johnny, did you shoot my favorite pee-wee with your BB Gun?"

Johnny:      " No Grandma, my cousin Paul here shot your bird!!"

Paul:           " Grandma, I didn't shoot your bird, Johnny did!!

Grandma:    "Someone is not telling the truth"

• Like 1

That link proves nothing , currently sprint has implemented LTE for data only.. everyone knows LTE standard has sms and voice protocols built in Sprint, has yet to implement those feature

That is incorrect. If you use a tri-band device to send a text the phone does not drop to 1x, it stays on LTE the entire time. Same with receiving texts.

my experience with lte mode only, appears to force the device to DATA ONLY, which blocks the sms tunneling/signalling available when lte/3g mode is enabled.

I think it's funny this has been argued over such a long amount of time... SMS can, and DOES runs over LTE...It's been proven. No need to go on this merry-go-round....Disregard user as troll and move on...

• Like 3

And just as a refresher....SMS/MMS over LTE is possible by a thing called, "Message Transfer over IMS" (IP Multimedia Subsystem). The functionality of this is to provide legacy "Switched" services over an IP Network (ie. LTE). The IMS can be used for Voice, SMS, MMS, etc. by sending them over an IP Link from the UE (User Equipment/Handest) to a gateway. Then the gateway converts it back to a "Circuit Switched" service back at the MSC (or wherever the IMS Gateway is for Sprint). Right now Sprint is only using this for SMS/MMS, but it can and will be utilized for the transition from "Circuit Switched Voice" to VoLTE to connect back to the PSTN Network. This is why were still using eSCFB (FOR CALLS ONLY) think of the name... Circuit Switched FALL BACK (Falls back to the Circuit Switched network) for the call. eCSFB does not provide the SMS/MMS Link. It only switches you back to 3G For a Circuit Switched service that cannot be provided over IP.

Now for the IP Link, think of it like a SIP Link. It converts the SMS/MMS to a SIP type address and forwards it out to the gateway for processing. All done over IP. If you fall back to 3G/1x...then it goes back to the old Circuit Switched method...It was designed this way for seamless use while on LTE and for the ease of expanding into an all IP Network.

AJ...You may correct me if i'm wrong....

Kris

• Like 3

And just as a refresher....SMS/MMS over LTE is possible by a thing called, "Message Transfer over IMS" (IP Multimedia Subsystem). The functionality of this is to provide legacy "Switched" services over an IP Network (ie. LTE). The IMS can be used for Voice, SMS, MMS, etc. by sending them over an IP Link from the UE (User Equipment/Handest) to a gateway. Then the gateway converts it back to a "Circuit Switched" service back at the MSC (or wherever the IMS Gateway is for Sprint). Right now Sprint is only using this for SMS/MMS, but it can and will be utilized for the transition from "Circuit Switched Voice" to VoLTE to connect back to the PSTN Network. This is why were still using eSCFB (FOR CALLS ONLY) think of the name... Circuit Switched FALL BACK (Falls back to the Circuit Switched network) for the call. eCSFB does not provide the SMS/MMS Link. It only switches you back to 3G For a Circuit Switched service that cannot be provided over IP.

Now for the IP Link, think of it like a SIP Link. It converts the SMS/MMS to a SIP type address and forwards it out to the gateway for processing. All done over IP. If you fall back to 3G/1x...then it goes back to the old Circuit Switched method...It was designed this way for seamless use while on LTE and for the ease of expanding into an all IP Network.

AJ...You may correct me if i'm wrong....

Kris

I think IMS is also what Sprint is using to support WI-Fi calling as well.

• Like 1

I think IMS is also what Sprint is using to support WI-Fi calling as well.

I would guess you are correct as WiFi calling is basically VoIP...But instead of going over LTE, It's over WiFi (Naturally...lol)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have never seen my phone drop LTE to send a text, it always stays on LTE and I have the phone on LTE mode instead of Global, 3G or 1x.

it is confusing, but there are 2 completely different 'lte modes'.

One is the one you refer to with global/lte/3g, the other is in the advanced settings which require your MSL and dialer code to access (LTE ONLY).

the standard lte/global does not affect SMS, where setting the advanced LTE ONLY can affect sms and calls.

• Like 1

it is confusing, but there are 2 completely different 'lte modes'.

One is the one you refer to with global/lte/3g, the other is in the advanced settings which require your MSL and dialer code to access (LTE ONLY).

the standard lte/global does not affect SMS, where setting the advanced LTE ONLY can affect sms and calls.

Oh I got you I was mildly confused. [emoji12]

Sent from my Nexus 5