Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

It's definitely been more than a few weeks that I've been regularly getting dropped back to 3G on my S4 tri-band.  That's why I'm annoyed.  I can understand, and tolerate, reasonable service disruptions due to the upgrades.  But to me, weeks and weeks of disruptions are not what I call reasonable. 

As of right now, today, I am still regularly getting dropped to 3G all over memphis.  I can usually get LTE back by toggling airplane mode, but sometimes that doesn't stick either.  I SHOULDN'T have to do ANYTHING to keep my LTE service that I pay dearly for every month. 

Again, week after week of this is getting old.  And doubly frustrating is trying to get help from sprint - who say there are no issues - while I'm looking at my 4G phone getting 3G service.  And they tell me there are no issues on the network. 

And oh yeah, my wife's S3 and my daughter's iphone 5 both are getting 4G, but I can't.  And there are no issues on the network, according to sprint.  VERY frustrating, and unacceptable to me as a customer.  This should NEVER happen.  And if and when it does, it should be fixed IMMEDIATELY.  It should NEVER take weeks or months to get people's service working properly.

You have a point but there's nothing complaining here that can get anything fixed. All we can really do is observe and try to bang it into the support channels that there is an issue that needed to be escalated way up to the engineers who have the tools and know how of what to do. 

Ericsson is just being Ericsson that we all know and abhor. 

You have a point but there's nothing complaining here that can get anything fixed. All we can really do is observe and try to bang it into the support channels that there is an issue that needed to be escalated way up to the engineers who have the tools and know how of what to do. 

Ericsson is just being Ericsson that we all know and abhor. 

I know you guys can't do anything about it - I just had to vent a little.  But there are obviously a lot of people here who are knowlegable about all of this and can, and have, shed light on why/how these problems have come to be.  I've learned a lot just in this thread over the last couple of days.  Sorry for the rants.  I know you guys are here to help - and you have.  Now I know Ericson is the problem, which I didn't know before.  I also know (which I kind of knew already) that my issues are more than likely being caused by my phone hitting a tower that has 800 Mhz data deployed but no eCSFB yet.  And when they do update these towers with eCSFB my problems will probably go away.  This site has been very helpful.  As I said I have learned a lot from it.  I'll keep the rants to myself from now on.

Cooljb where in memphis are you picking up 800 and how do you know you are connected to 800

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

I'm getting 800 Mhz all over Memphis.  Specifically, East and Southeast Memphis - Poplar/Massey, Winchester/Hacks Cross.  Also in Cordova where I live.  There are several ways you can get this information.  On Samsung phones there are several dialer codes that you input on the phone dialer that bring up hidden test/debugging menus.  I don't have any experience with LG androind phones so I'm not familiar with the codes for LG phones.  Some of them may be universal, and some of them are manufacturer specific.  You can find a partial list here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2523252

The first one listed on the above link says it works on LG phones.  Again, I can't vouch for any of this since I don't have an LG phone.  There is also an app in the Play Store called SignalCheck Lite (free version).  The frequency isn't actually displayed. In the hidden debug screens what is displayed will be denoted as either the "Band" or the "Band Class".  Here is how these relate to the actual frequencies being used:

Band 25 = Band Class 1 = 1900 Mhz (Original Sprint PCS frequency)

Band 26 = Band Class 10 = 800 Mhz (Old Nextel frequency)

Band 41 = 2.5 Ghz (Old Clearwire/WiMax frequency) - Not sure what the Band Class for Band 41 is - others here may know and can please chime in if they do.  It may not even have one as Band 41 will only be used for data, not voice.

In the SignalCheck Lite app the band will be listed as "BXX" - example "B25" for Band 25, B26 for Band 26, etc.

If you're getting dropped down to 3G you're probably on an 800 Mhz tower, per the issues being discussed in this thread.  You can probably verify that now with one of the above methods.

Edited by cooljb

The first one listed on the above link says it works on LG phones.  Again, I can't vouch for any of this since I don't have an LG phone.  There is also an app in the Play Store called SignalCheck Lite (free version).  The frequency isn't actually displayed.  What is displayed is either what is simply denoted as the "Band", or the "Band Class".  Here is how these relate to the actual frequencies being used:

The Signal Check app is well written and very useful, it was actually created (and maintained) by one of the members here (MikeJeep if you see him around).

The Pro version has nice alerts to let you know when you connect to LTE, and when you connect to 1x800.

• Like 1

The Signal Check app is well written and very useful, it was actually created (and maintained) by one of the members here (MikeJeep if you see him around).

The Pro version has nice alerts to let you know when you connect to LTE, and when you connect to 1x800.

it's very very well write, works great. I check it regularly when I feel I have a B26 signal. One thing I noticed with my M8 would display the frequency that I was connected to, but my S5 so far I haven't seen it do that. I think that's a HTC thing but was sweet to see.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

• Like 1

Considering that the iPhone 5C/S is the only handset that can access B26 without eCSFB, it should be a mandatory part of B26 acceptance that eCSFB is enabled on that and any other LTE band live at that site. If Ericsson for whatever reason can't immediately apply the software update, then leave the new band off. This should have been much like mandating adequate backhaul before accepting "4G" (B25) - the alternative would be mostly pointless and would sully the reputation of the new network and/or the phone.

Assuming this can be controlled remotely, Sprint should shut down B26 on all sites that lack eCSFB (for all bands), and bring them back online individually alongside the software update, in order to immediately solve this 3G kickdown issue. The guiding principle here should be to first do no harm, particularly when that harm lingers on and is unnecessary.

• Like 4

eCSFB is not enabled for B26 in Manchester, TN at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. However, being on the .15 modem on the Nexus 5, I can access the B26 carrier sporadically depending on B25 signal strength (B25 is pretty much unusable due to 60,000+ people at the festival). Network management is likely not integrated yet either. Pretty awesome when I am on B26 I probably am only sharing it with a handful of Sprint iPhone 5s/5c users, so my data is usable even when my friend on At&t (which has like 6 COWS here) is still spotty at best with data.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

In the SignalCheck Lite app the band will be listed as "BXX" - example "B25" for Band 25, B26 for Band 26, etc.

Only Sprint B26 and Sprint B41 are explicitly indicated right now. Sprint B25 just shows "Sprint", and there is nothing in place for other providers yet. It's not an exact science as the app can't directly get the band data, but if it can determine the PLMN and GCI, it makes a "best guess" attempt to ID it.

it's very very well write, works great. I check it regularly when I feel I have a B26 signal. One thing I noticed with my M8 would display the frequency that I was connected to, but my S5 so far I haven't seen it do that. I think that's a HTC thing but was sweet to see.

Thanks guys! Yeah, the LTE frequency is an HTC thing. lordsutch (another member on here) found an undocumented way to access some extra details on most HTC devices, so SignalCheck takes advantage of that. Every other OEM blocks access to this information. Unfortunately, this is unlikely to change in the future unless Android introduces some new radio routines in a future release.

-Mike

I knew it was a HTC thing and it was sweet, as long as I can open the app and it says "sprint B26, sprint B41 when I get it, or just sprint" I love it. To a average user it's awesome, and to someone who understands what all the numbers mean it's a very very good signal app. To be honest it should be the only one needed for signal.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

• Like 1

Ok I can understand sorta the whole lte and switching to 3G back and forth that I'm getting all day long. It seems like when the phone is idle it's on lte but as soon as I start to do something like go on the web or watch a video it will go to 3G. This is highly frustrating but at night when there is less strain on the towers I'm getting the same results. Was there something that was missed or has malfunctioned within the towers to have this happen? I would expect that at night my phone would stay on lte but it does not. My phone has been to sprint but they say nothing is wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok I can understand sorta the whole lte and switching to 3G back and forth that I'm getting all day long. It seems like when the phone is idle it's on lte but as soon as I start to do something like go on the web or watch a video it will go to 3G. This is highly frustrating but at night when there is less strain on the towers I'm getting the same results. Was there something that was missed or has malfunctioned within the towers to have this happen? I would expect that at night my phone would stay on lte but it does not. My phone has been to sprint but they say nothing is wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something tells me that towers around you are not yet updated to eCSFB.

Once Sprint gets this issue resolved the speeds in Columbus should be really good. I'll hint that some of the Premier info being found in Buckeye Country is really good.

Thank Jesus i'm in a Samsung market!!!!!! whenever B26 has gone live on a tower around here it is immediately usable and other than not being properly tuned right off the bat, doesn't cause any eCSFB issues. Most of my coworkers are on sprint and have tri-band phones, including some Nexus 5's and they all work the same and connect to all towers/bands that are live.

• Like 2

Something tells me that towers around you are not yet updated to eCSFB.

Once Sprint gets this issue resolved the speeds in Columbus should be really good. I'll hint that some of the Premier info being found in Buckeye Country is really good.

What I find odd is that the towers near me both at home and work have been updated a while back and yet every once in a while I encounter the same issue as member derrph has.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

TS 

sounds like its time to carry a fourth smartphone device at all times with me.... presently have the note 2, N5 and Flex with me at all times along with a vz hotspot and sims for tmob and att. anything good coming out in the forseeable future?  it seems like crickets have taken over in the new device dept

sounds like its time to carry a fourth smartphone device at all times with me.... presently have the note 2, N5 and Flex with me at all times along with a vz hotspot and sims for tmob and att. anything good coming out in the forseeable future? it seems like crickets have taken over in the new device dept

iPhone 6 in the fall, maybe some updated Snapdragon 805 versions of current devices if we're lucky.

810 coming out next year is when we'll see real fireworks in the SOC department.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is the ecsfb handoff so unreliable? I missed a phone interview today because my phone never received the call. It happens a lot.

My guess would be Ericsson. They are horrible around here.

So my local tower that beams delicious LTE (band 25 directly at my apartment) was the very last tower inside I-285 to get LTE (of course it was).  Once it came online, things were awesome.  I didn't really bounce to bands 26 or 41 until I was well out of this tower's reach (because I simply didn't need to).  

For the past 2 days, however, I notice that when I approach the reach of this tower on my way home from work or being out, I do immediately latch onto band 25.  However, within a few minutes (and despite a very strong signal), I am kicked to 3G.  Clearly, they must be testing/adding either band 26 and/or band 41 to this tower.  I was hoping it was band 41, so I tried disabling it, to see if my connection issues pertaining to this particular tower would clear up.  It didn't work.  So I then re-enabled 41 and disabled band 26.  

To my surprise, I did latch onto band 41 about half a mile from my house while grocery shopping at Publix.  Seems something went live nearby recently with 41 but it isn't my local tower.  Back at my apartment, I'm sitting pretty on band 25 with 26 disabled.  So they must be testing band 26 on my home tower but the real surprise in this was the addition of band 41 to a nearby tower that wasn't there two weeks ago.  

I wonder if it's a clear tower or an NSN installed Sprint NV tower?  

• 3 weeks later...

I'm able to get calls while on B41 here in Florence, so it seems(my theory) like the eCsfb issue is happening at the site where I get my voice service from since it's not NV upgraded. Which makes me wonder why the site on Elm in downtown Cincinnati is broadcasting B41 hoping this means that the sites in downtown will be accepted soon.

I'm able to get calls while on B41 here in Florence, so it seems(my theory) like the eCsfb issue is happening at the site where I get my voice service from since it's not NV upgraded. Which makes me wonder why the site on Elm in downtown Cincinnati is broadcasting B41 hoping this means that the sites in downtown will be accepted soon.

He's not getting calls while on B41 in Covington, KY. Would this be an eCSFB issue?

S4 Mini & Tapatalk