Breaking Band: Tri-band LTE / eCSFB issues thread

Handset:  Nexus 5

When connected to LTE then going to making a phone call, will always default to 1x voice, no higher.

These non SVDO, non SVLTE handsets are always going to fallback to CDMA1X while in call.  There will be nothing "higher."  

So, can you explain a bit further?

AJ

When connected to LTE then going to making a phone call, will always default to 1x voice and not 1x800. (I'm in a heavily saturated 800SMR area)

Fixed.

Fixed.

CDMA1X 800 is not intended to be every Sprint user's sandbox.  It will be there when you need it.  If you can access CDMA1X 1900, then you do not need CDMA1X 800 at that moment.

AJ

CDMA1X 800 is not intended to be every Sprint user's sandbox.  It will be there when you need it.  If you can access CDMA1X 1900, then you do not need CDMA1X 800 at that moment.

AJ

So why did my GSIII always connect to 1x800 when available but my N5 does not? Was that strictly a by-product of an SVLTE device? 

I purchased my Google Nexus 5 directly from Sprint and received it yesterday. Today, while I was driving with my wife in parts of Milwaukee where 4G LTE is live, my Nexus 5 stayed on 3G, while my wife's Iphone 5S lit up with LTE.

I just called Sprint business tech support and reported the issue. All they did was refresh my network services and told me to call back if the 4G does not light when I return to a 4G area.

Lg G2-conneted to the LTE tower only for about 5 seconds and then back to 3g. Brooklyn/Cleveland Ohio. Updated prl and profile but haven't checked to see if it helped, I don't live in that area.

So why did my GSIII always connect to 1x800 when available but my N5 does not? Was that strictly a by-product of an SVLTE device? 

Yes, that could be a contributing factor.  The Galaxy S3 has both SVDO and SVLTE capabilities.  We do not entirely know how these tri band, non SVDO, non SVLTE handsets will function in comparison/contrast.  Our sample sizes are simply too small at this point.  So, we have to observe now, reserve conclusions for later.

AJ

• Like 2

The speed of your LTE should not be affected by this. either you can connect or you can't.

Thanks, I am going crazy trying to figure out why my speeds are the way they are. Is there another way for me to see exactly what I am connected to when my signal bar is showing LTE?

Yes, that could be a contributing factor.  The Galaxy S3 has both SVDO and SVLTE capabilities.  We do not entirely know how these tri band, non SVDO, non SVLTE handsets will function in comparison/contrast.  Our sample sizes are simply too small at this point.  So, we have to observe now, reserve conclusions for later.

AJ

Thank you, I'm sorry to keep pushing this minor issue by comparison to others, but its important to me.

Thanks, I am going crazy trying to figure out why my speeds are the way they are. Is there another way for me to see exactly what I am connected to when my signal bar is showing LTE?

Lte discovery and Signal check are both good.

• Like 1

When connected to LTE then going to making a phone call, will always default to 1x voice and not 1x800. (I'm in a heavily saturated 800SMR area)

my LG G2 connects fine to 1x 800

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

I can connect, just not when going from LTE to a phone call.

• Like 1

LG G2, Louisville and Shepherdsville, Kentucky, works as good as my S3. Had issues at first but changed from global to cdma/lte and started working normal. I even have b26 enabled and set to higher priority. No problems with calling or texting while on lte. Seems to be good. Very few 3g acceptances here so legacy Ericsson must be compatible with NV Ericsson.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Here is an N5 connected to a 4G only site in St. Louis/Missouri Market. Stock, unmodified. Sigh of relief!

Posted Image

lilG, glad you got your phone. In my unscientific testing its the towers that you have as yellow on your map that the tri band phones are having issues with. Purple ones are fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Nexus 5

Portland, OR

I can only connect to LTE forced through engineering near my house (all purple towers), but just south there is a non-purple tower that I randomly connected to.

According to LTE engineering, the serving cell was 458 on Band 25

Serving cell 132 also on band 25

I did not drive down to the other section of the city that is 3G/800/4G to see if those work.

Also, after reading many many comments, I was able to look at some other regions where people have reported the same issue, and it looks to be the same story.  Areas dominated by 4G only (SF) down to south bay (3G/4G) as well as Raleigh (4G) -> Wilson (3G/4G)

Nexus 5. St Paul Minneapolis area (near Metrodome). No LTE now when I had it on my Galaxy s3. Purple areas causing issues. I drove south 20-25 miles into the yellow area (a little south of Lakeville) and had LTE. On the completed maps the 4g only purple area is what is causing my issues apparently.  I can force it to LTE in the 4636 menu but it will not do it on its own.

• Like 1