Nexus 5 Accessories

smorcy11

Couple weeks ago I ordered a white Nokia DT-900 wireless charger from Amazon for $32 with Prime. I just decided to order another one for the office and saw that the price is now $45? A $13 increase? Why could this be?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A3NCBNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1384917292&sr=8-2&pi=SY200

Ships from and sold by WhereToBuyMore

Amazon is just the middle man

That's easy -- supply and demand. I see it often on Amazon, a lot of prices seem to change daily, up or down anywhere from a few cents to a few bucks.

-Mike

Yep, it was just the first time I see an item's price change in Amazon so I was surprised.

Anyways, thanks JoeJoeJoe for the AT&T link, I just bought 1 from them!

I always thought this wireless charging was a gimmick but it is so convenient! Just dropping the phone on the pad without having to deal with a cable etc. (more useful at night...)

• Like 1

Anyone thinking of picking up the Nexus wireless charger from the Play Store?  Price is a little high compared to some of the alternatives out there.

https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_Wireless_Charger?id=nexus_wireless_charger

I just got mine in the mail today.  It's very nicely built but the charging area doesn't seem all that wide.  I would recommend sticking with less expensive products elsewhere.

A+ for build quality and design but really the magnet isn't strong enough to center it like the touchtone.  The idea of having a charger like the touchtone was appealing to me, but sadly this is not it.

Pros:

Nice grippy/sticky surface on the bottom that has made it stick to my desk without sticking

Nice small design, easy to pick phone up off charger

Good build quality/materials - very minimalist.

Works with my slim case without issue.

Cons:

Narrow charging zone. 

Magnet is not as strong as I would have liked.

Magnet does not guide the phone into place at all.

Expensive.

• Like 2

I just got mine in the mail today.  It's very nicely built but the charging area doesn't seem all that wide.  I would recommend sticking with less expensive products elsewhere.

A+ for build quality and design but really the magnet isn't strong enough to center it like the touchtone.  The idea of having a charger like the touchtone was appealing to me, but sadly this is not it.

Pros:

Nice grippy/sticky surface on the bottom that has made it stick to my desk without sticking

Cons:

Narrow charging zone. 

Expensive.

That's a great summary of it.  

Couple weeks ago I ordered a white Nokia DT-900 wireless charger from Amazon for $32 with Prime. I just decided to order another one for the office and saw that the price is now $45? A $13 increase? Why could this be?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A3NCBNI/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1384917292&sr=8-2&pi=SY200

I just ordered the Nokia dt-900 direct from amazon for 24.99 for the black color only

http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-DT-900-Wireless-Charging-Plate/dp/B00A3NCC5K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1384988386&sr=8-4&keywords=Nokia+900+charger

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Bought 3 DT-900s from AT&T's online store; set up two so far (one at home, one at work) and they work great with both the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5. Just need to decide where I'm going to put #3 :)

They dont have a magnet like the nexus/play store version, right?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Yup.  Got 2 of them from my local AT&T store for $20 each.  Love love LOVE them!  One on my desk at work and one next to my bed.  I always thought wireless charging was a silly luxury that i'd never take advantage of.  Now i can't imagine not having it!

-david

Do you know if it will charge with a tpu case on the nexus 5

Pros:

Cons:

Narrow charging zone. 

Expensive.

I think the magnet issue could be because of your case? Most video reviews show that the charger will actually hold the phone while you swing the charger around and even upside down.

But any type of case will definitely diminish the strength of the magnets.

I think the magnet issue could be because of your case? Most video reviews show that the charger will actually hold the phone while you swing the charger around and even upside down.

But any type of case will definitely diminish the strength of the magnets.

What was kind of cool about the touchtone charger is that the phone sort of gravitated to the charging zone.  While sure, the magnet holds the phone in place (with or without a case) it doesn't really serve any purpose.

What was kind of cool about the touchtone charger is that the phone sort of gravitated to the charging zone.  While sure, the magnet holds the phone in place (with or without a case) it doesn't really serve any purpose.

Does the magnet lift the touchtone when you try to pick up the device?

Does the magnet lift the touchtone when you try to pick up the device?

no, touchstone stays in place.

Overall, it's cool, but I think there are better value QI chargers on the market.  It's definitely better than the original nexus wireless charger.

I am loving my Spigen NeoHybrid case for my N5. I'm typically the guy who doesn't use cases. I hate losing the natural OEM feeling. But the NeoHybrid feels so good in the hand and looks very stylish, that I don't mind it at all. I'm shocked that I have found a case that I'm happy with. I'm going to get one for my work iPhone now.

Robert via Samsung Note 8.0 using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

Anyone have a car dock that they use for their Nexus 5?  I had an EVO LTE with their car dock and grew to love it.  I was able to use Tasker to turn on my bluetooth and put the phone in car mode automatically.  The CD dock that was shown earlier won't work for me, because the cd disc in my altima is actually below the radio and in an awkward location. (six disc changer version).

EDIT: I found this car dock at Amazon and one reviewed mentioned the Nexus 5 is compatible right out of the box due to Qi charging.  If only they had the Qi charger built into this magnet.  That would be AWESOME!

Anyone have a car dock that they use for their Nexus 5? I had an EVO LTE with their car dock and grew to love it. I was able to use Tasker to turn on my bluetooth and put the phone in car mode automatically. The CD dock that was shown earlier won't work for me, because the cd disc in my altima is actually below the radio and in an awkward location. (six disc changer version).

What ever you buy don't get the one you hook to the air vent . I learned that the hard way. Did u check the cup mount holder,or the one you connect to the 12v ? For both are too low for me

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UGMTKC/ref=pd_aw_sbs_8?pi=SY115

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

What ever you buy don't get the one you hook to the air vent . I learned that the hard way. Did u check the cup mount holder,or the one you connect to the 12v ? For both are too low for me

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001UGMTKC/ref=pd_aw_sbs_8?pi=SY115

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Both of these options are too low for me as well.  Thanks for the thought though.

• Like 1

Anyone have a car dock that they use for their Nexus 5? I had an EVO LTE with their car dock and grew to love it. I was able to use Tasker to turn on my bluetooth and put the phone in car mode automatically. The CD dock that was shown earlier won't work for me, because the cd disc in my altima is actually below the radio and in an awkward location. (six disc changer version).

EDIT: I found this car dock at Amazon and one reviewed mentioned the Nexus 5 is compatible right out of the box due to Qi charging. If only they had the Qi charger built into this magnet. That would be AWESOME!

Not a bad holder. they have the iMagnet CD slot phone holder too . I wonder if the magnet strong enough to hold the phone on a rough ride :-)

• Like 1

Not a bad holder. they have the iMagnet CD slot phone holder too . I wonder if the magnet strong enough to hold the phone on a rough ride :-)

I use the X-Way magnet solution from Tetrax and it works wonders. Just remember to slide the phone off the magnet instead of pulling the phone straight off. It comes with different sized metal clips that are adhesives. I put it on my case(Spigen Ultra Hybrid) and it sticks well. Have not had it fall off at all. The X-Way magnet piece does hook on to a single vent but does not damage it at all.

XWAY.jpgprezentare-tetrax-xway.jpg

• Like 2

I have an adjustable ProClip mount in my car, it is the best car mount I have ever used. It uses pressure and adhesive tape to attach a vehicle-specific mount at a certain driver-accessible location (mine is to the right of the radio), and you connect that with the mount of your choosing. I got a universal swivel holder so I can drop in any device, case or not, and it will always fit. This is the best mounting system I have ever used; the only drawback is that it is not portable. You can remove it easily when you sell your car, but it's not something you will actively switch between vehicles.

I also have a Mountek nGroove, I believe someone mentioned that earlier. It slides into your CD slot, and a tension screw keeps it in place. It has a similar universal adjustable phone holder. I also have their nGroove Snap, which is very similar but uses a magnet instead of an adjustable holder. It holds ok, but if you have a heavy phone and hit a big bump, it might slide. Both of these work well as long as your CD slot is in a good spot for it.

-Mike

Heads up, non-sponsors! After less than one day of using my black Cruzerlite Androidified case for my Nexus 5, I decided to go with a hardshell version instead; this one is a TPU (like soft rubber) material. The case is in mint condition, as it was only on the phone for a few hours while I was around the house. Fits snug, looks good.

So, I'm giving it away to help support S4GRU! The first PM I receive from a member who makes either their first-ever donation to S4GRU (let's say a minimum of $25) or bumps themselves up to Premier Sponsor (at least $25) gets it shipped to them for free! The clock is ticking.. I will be heading out of town Tuesday night, and would love to send it before I go.

-Mike

• Like 3