Network Vision/LTE - Central Illinois Market (Peoria, Springfield, Quincy, Bloomington/Normal, Terre Haute)

DaQue

Good afternoon everyone, just thought I would let you all know that tmobile is getting LTE here in central Illinois before sprint my daughters phone was showing a lte signal today around my house and my sprint phone still nothing I maybe going to tmobile at least my 3g speeds are a little better now since they but the new NV equipment in im getting between 1mbps to 1.5 now  instead of 20kbps

I think the hold up is backhaul right now. My guess would be that Frontier is going to be used for a bunch of areas. I wonder why they would use Frontier when they have been having major problems delivering speeds and low pings to everyone as they have overloaded servers in Chicago and then the more localized servers. I have run a lot of pings to the Chicago servers and see pings of 200-300 ms where google is 30 ms or so from the test server I used. There are times that pings on Frontiers servers hit over 500 ms. This isn't just localized congestion but the whole backbone of the network and servers that are overloaded. I have recently been talking with the main office and they acknowledge the problem but they are unsure of when things will be where they should be. On DSL I often have pings from 500-3500 ms. Lately my speeds have not been dropping off in the evenings but the high pings remain. I am not sure how the backhaul is going to be delivered when they are having server and backbone issues. At least more fiber is being turned up on the Frontier backbone.

Another issue seems to be microwave. I have noticed a lot of mini dishes going up on Sprint towers. These sites had fiber installed in 2009 so I'm not entirely sure why fiber is not going to be used going forward. It may be that the provider was unable to deliver the speed needed in the timeframe Sprint gave them. They still sell 3 mbps packages for $50/month which is kind of pricey. They may not have the infrastructure to the IP links to deliver what is needed...even with fiber. Fiber is only as good as the connection between the ISP and the outside world.

Once things do start turning on I imagine it will go fast as it looks like most of the equipment is in place at many towers. Just a waiting game for the other pieces to catch up.

Good afternoon everyone, just thought I would let you all know that tmobile is getting LTE here in central Illinois before sprint my daughters phone was showing a lte signal today around my house and my sprint phone still nothing I maybe going to tmobile at least my 3g speeds are a little better now since they but the new NV equipment in im getting between 1mbps to 1.5 now  instead of 20kbps

That's great if you have good T-Mobile coverage...  but in Champaign/Urbana and many places along I-57 T-Mobile coverage is spotty to non-existent.    I got a prepaid T-Mobile sim a few years back to test voice coverage around town and couldn't tolerate all the gaps; they just don't seem to have enough towers around here.   

Edited by JPSmith

Frontier's Internet services should be completely separate from their metro-e services. Anything more than 5 ms (other than consumer grade access networks) within Illinois has a problem.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

I would hope so but that is not what I have been told by those in Rochester, NY. They are having issues at the edge going from Frontier to L3. WIthin IL the pings on consumer/business lines go up to 3500 ms. No reason there should be a ping that high on any connection outside of satellite. I did bother Frontier about the upload being so low (192k) and they upped it to 448k. Since that change my pings have dropped a bit. They bounce around a lot but I would say they are in the range of 200ms late night to 1000ms during the day and evening. The ping annoys me more than the slow speeds as it makes a slow speed just plain unusable.

Anyway, I did notice new Sprint antennas on the Rushville tower. Didn't look like anything was hooked up and no one was around.

Not Sprint but tower related news: Verizon is installing a new tower in this area along the area where they have white on the map. They don't hold a cellular license for the next county (Brown) over (Adams is another). I don't think they hold a PCS license there either. It looks like they are going to use 700 to provide service in that area. I'm sure someone with more knowledge of the licenses can shed a bit of light on that.

It's very apparent according to the Network Vision Site Acceptance Report Updates for Central Illinois that things are finally getting in full swing! We are getting updates daily which before was every 3-5 days at best. LTE is just around the corner folks!

I talked to Sprint yesterday as I've been having bad connection (as usual) and supposedly theyre working on the towers now to update them. have been having problems around here (Peoria IL. area) anybody have any idea when LTE will be live here?

Just got off phone again with sprint. One tower is down in Peoria. That's why bad reception. Also got out of technician that LTE will be here by November 26th in central Illinois

All but one of the 25 site acceptances from the Central IL market since Tuesday have been for NV equipment installations in Peoria. The area (between I-474 and Carlock) has gone from 23% to 77% completion over those three days, LTE aside. This sort of rapid turnover is bound to result in service disruptions. However, if that rate of acceptance keeps up, the whole city will be 3G accepted by Monday, and voice/text service should return to normal by then.

As for when you'll see new 3G Ev-DO (1-2Mbps) and LTE speeds, your best bet would be to try to track down some crews working for whoever (Frontier?) is supplying the backhaul there, and see if they have any installation dates for Sprint sites on their schedule. If the fiber is already trenched (which is likely for colocated sites) then the hook up should go relatively quickly since the rest of the equipment is now in place.

Any news on the Bloomington/Normal area? Service is terrible here, half the time I cant even load google without getting a dns timeout.

At this time no sites in B/N have received any upgrades. It appears that all the crews and/or inspectors are in Peoria at the moment. Most if not all the sites there are likely still limping along on old T-1 backhaul.

If you'd like to know exactly when a site has been upgraded in your neighborhood, I'd heartily suggest sparing at least a couple cups of coffee to donate and become a sponsor. :)

Peoria is noticeably different this week.   Speeds and coverage seem to be slightly better.  However, there seem to be hand off issues when leaving Peoria.   Headed west on 116 I drop a call every time before I switch to the tower at Lourdes road and 116.

Has anyone been on sensorly lately. If not look at how fast It is expanding towards Galesburg. I was in Kansas City MO (Lee's Summit) and was getting awesome speeds like 27-35Mbs constantly during the day and night. In the three days I was there i used a total of 14.5Gb. I am glad i switched from verizon this would of never been possible with limited data. Also does anyone know if your phone is rooted does that increase speed because i would run speedtests with my dads phone that isnt rooted and my phone being rooted i got over 30 Mbs when my dad phone would only hit 10Mbs or so. Also I knew that we were on the same tower by the netmoniter app.

Heres all I got from Sprint today.: "Please inform customers of the activity happening in their area. We are continuing to build out an all-new network in your area. In the next month the towers that you use the most are scheduled for improvements. You should begin to experience fewer dropped calls more reliable voice service and faster data speeds"  also I think AT&T does fiber for Peoria IL. area

• Like 1

Awesome! cant wait for lte to finally get here

Just don't count on seeing significant data speed improvements within 90 days, because upgraded backhaul may not be installed until months after the new equipment.

doesn't fiber have to be installed to run lte?

Fiber - or equivalent in terms of speed - does need to be in place for them to switch on LTE. 

Got an interesting reply from a forum Social Care rep about the Peoria area:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/630276#630276

Just don't count on seeing significant data speed improvements within 90 days, because upgraded backhaul may not be installed until months after the new equipment.

A site just east of Peoria near Washington has been LTE accepted and should be live soon. 

I'm curious what LTE bands were getting. I believe Sprint will be offering tri-band on LTE bands 25, 26 and 41 in total. I wonder if that means all markets will have these after NV rollout? I've been eyeing the G2 which goes up for pre-order October 11th and supports all 3 bands on Sprint.  :D

I'm curious what LTE bands were getting. I believe Sprint will be offering tri-band on LTE bands 25, 26 and 41 in total. I wonder if that means all markets will have these after NV rollout? I've been eyeing the G2 which goes up for pre-order October 11th and supports all 3 bands on Sprint.  :D

Every market will have bands 25 and 26 (PCS and SMR) on nearly every site, that was always the plan. SoftBank has announced plans to put Clear LTE (band 41) TD-LTE on most Sprint sites as well. So pretty much every market will see all three bands in some capacity.