Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

Shentel doesn't own spectrum, Sprint does. Even the ntelos spectrum was transferred to Sprint as part of the deal.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

And it has been a year since the deal started it is just now getting done. To blame nTelos is not right. If shentel wanted to launch it earlier they could have worked out a deal but they didn't. I am happy B41 is spreading just tired of people blaming nTelos for everything bad. 

And it has been a year since the deal started it is just now getting done. To blame nTelos is not right. If shentel wanted to launch it earlier they could have worked out a deal but they didn't. I am happy B41 is spreading just tired of people blaming nTelos for everything bad. 

I don't think he was complaining....

I don't think he was complaining....

GalaxyGuy was not but champ was I didn't feel like calling anyone out on my first post. Even with the "benefit of Shentel" and nTelos fumbling comments nTelos had/has more confirmed B41 installed than Shentel. Granted I travel more in nTelos and there are more people in nTelos helping collect data. But I do travel enough of Shentel(all the interstates and a lot of small towns.) to collect a good sample size the only place I have not been to in a while is York PA and Lebanon PA.

The only big "fumble" I saw with nTelos was they were using their installed LTE as a bargaining chip in negotiations and did not turn it on for Sprint users. But I will hold my tongue the next time when something good happens in  WV/VA and people "Praise Shentel" like nTelos was seating on their hands. 

GalaxyGuy was not but champ was I didn't feel like calling anyone out on my first post. Even with the "benefit of Shentel" and nTelos fumbling comments nTelos had/has more confirmed B41 installed than Shentel. Granted I travel more in nTelos and there are more people in nTelos helping collect data. But I do travel enough of Shentel(all the interstates and a lot of small towns.) to collect a good sample size the only place I have not been to in a while is York PA and Lebanon PA.

The only big "fumble" I saw with nTelos was they were using their installed LTE as a bargaining chip in negotiations and did not turn it on for Sprint users. But I will hold my tongue the next time when something good happens in  WV/VA and people "Praise Shentel" like nTelos was seating on their hands. 

nTelos was NOT getting it done. Their service was mostly horrible.  Shentel could not just walk up and buy nTelos.  Sprint had to be involved in may ways.  Agreement between all 3 was required.  Shentel has quite a bit of B-41 installed in West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania .  Not every site, but they have it on the sites that need it.  Try driving through Hagerstown, Harrisburg, York and even selected sites in some of the smaller towns.  It is not on some very rural sites but if I owned the company, I would not install it there immediately either.  If a rural site is running fine with band 25 and 26 only, leave it alone. 

Hey is anyone else noticed at the Kroger area on Barracks Road Shopping Ctr in Ch'ville to be horrible lately for LTE? Was really horrendous today and wasn't like that a couple weeks ago when I was over there. 

I've noticed that, if I'm passing through, the phone will manage to hold onto LTE. However, if I'm stationary there for any time, I lose it. I really wish they would update the antennas on the bank of America right there; they're still 3G only.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

I've noticed that, if I'm passing through, the phone will manage to hold onto LTE. However, if I'm stationary there for any time, I lose it. I really wish they would update the antennas on the bank of America right there; they're still 3G only.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Ya that's what was happening with me too. 

I did notice one more tower that's gone LTE-active: 0187E9 on Reas Ford Rd. I'll send a SCP log once I've "seen" some more.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

Ya haven't been out to Reas Ford Road area since about nov. But that is good in a way. Only could get LTE to stick for a few mins then dropped to 3g the rest of the time. But thats def good news though. 

nTelos was not all bad they did have a lot more B41 installed before Shentel even launched one B41 site. The only bad thing they really did was have LTE on but only for their customers. Woodstock, VA was already deep into Shentel market before nTelos.

I have to say I like the way Shentel is running things however I agree that nTelos wasn't all bad. They were just limited on cash and did some things that were not very smart such as the eastern markets getting LTE when they had limited customers there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4G seems to be down all over Roanoke land.....could be maybe Shentel are putting in some groovy new kit? I hope so. The hole I live in is not conducive to cellular service of any brand, but Sprint has arguably the best chance if Shentel can put the right gear in the nearest tower....like LTE800! So far only has been Band 25...some Band 26 would be boffo for inside reception. Band 41 a cherry on the top for all round performance. 

4G seems to be down all over Roanoke land.....could be maybe Shentel are putting in some groovy new kit? I hope so. The hole I live in is not conducive to cellular service of any brand, but Sprint has arguably the best chance if Shentel can put the right gear in the nearest tower....like LTE800! So far only has been Band 25...some Band 26 would be boffo for inside reception. Band 41 a cherry on the top for all round performance.

I went to Blacksburg for the first time this weekend since I have had Sprint. I was actually pretty impressed. Service was great in Christiansburg and Blacksburg and for most of the way on 81. My T-Mobile line did a lot better on 81 with holding on to LTE but Sprint was far better in the city.

• Like 3

Not sure if anyone else in the Albemarle/Ch'ville area caught this yesterday like I did. Apparently the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors have approved a new 125' cell phone tower next to Albemarle High School. Been trying to find out some info on what providers are suppose to be going on it. But will def. help with coverage in the area. Gonna keep looking into it today and see if I can find any info. Unless anyone else in my area knows anything about it. 

http://www.nbc29.com/story/33044328/albemarle-county-board-of-supervisors-approve-cell-tower

**UPDATE**

I did find that it can hold up to 5 cell phone carriers. But no carrier's have signed on yet or they haven't said what ones have yet. Couldn't find any info yet on which ones have or haven't yet.

This is the company that will be building the tower:

http://www.milestonecommunications.com/

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/local/albemarle-high-school-cell-tower-proposal-approved-by-supervisors/article_a989efde-8371-5876-a358-dfc7ba494f08.html

• Like 1

Thanks for this. I had the briefly amusing thought of the county schools issuing tinfoil hats to students in light of radiation concerns. ; )

I noted the comment about the existing light poles in response to the viewshed concerns. The light pollution at night there is horrendous, especially during football season.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

That was one of my main concerns was the radiation to the students at the 3 schools. But it will be going in between the football field and baseball field so it will be enough away from the school but not enough away from the fb and bb fields which would be my main concern during sports events at AHS. With the concern that it will be an eye sore. I think it would be best if they did a tree disguise with it when they build it out. Would help it be less of an eye sore. 

• Like 1

If you're concerned about radiation, and the FCC has strict limits to prevent unsafe levels anyway, then you want the tower there.  Read up on the inverse square law.  A phone pressed against your head is much worse for you than an antenna a hundred feet up and hundreds of feet away, especially given the vertical antenna patterns of such antennas.  And when the tower is closer, the phone transmits with less power.  Following that logic, the closer the tower is, the safer you are.

As far as appearance is concerned, that's solely a matter of opinion.  If the tower randomly appeared somewhere one day without public comment, how many would even notice?

- Trip

• Like 2

I can't believe towers are that much of an eyesore. I like the look of cold steel and power. I think there is beauty in some of them. Idk why but I love the ones that are in the middle of fields and brand new. Just something majestic. [emoji851]

People complain about cell sites here. When I went to Jamaica last winter and travelled around Kingston, their cell sites look horrible! Wiring is a total mess and they're all so cluttered despite there being only two carriers on the entire island.

I can't believe towers are that much of an eyesore. I like the look of cold steel and power. I think there is beauty in some of them. Idk why but I love the ones that are in the middle of fields and brand new. Just something majestic. [emoji851]

NIMBYs buddy, lots and lots of them.

• Like 1

I actually saw one that I honestly thought was an eyesore a week or two ago.  I finally found the Verizon site that has been taunting me (01A22Dxx) and it was on a monopole next to a fire station.  And I guess after building it, they decided it wasn't tall enough, because all the antennas were mounted on individual poles attached to the rack to get them up another 20 or so feet.

I wish it was on Street View.  I'm someone who generally likes cell towers as well, but this one was not one I liked.

- Trip

• Like 1

In Elkins today, took corridor H to get here off I81. No service for most of the way but there is very usable 3G in Elkins. It will be nice to see the progress shentel will make in the next couple years. I'm thinking 2 years to get it on par with AT&T.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk