Shentel / Sprint LTE - (was ntelos - West & N&W Virginia)

marioc21

537333b968fb6b4eab0e58baf104d070.jpg

I know Zion Crossroads is not in this market but being that is so close to my home it feels like it to me.

Does anyone have any clue when Sprint is going to start rolling out LTE to these sites from Zions on the way to Richmond. It doesn't matter what time I am in this Sprint area the speeds are almost unusable. The site on 64 has no new equipment so I'm guessing it's going to be a while [emoji24][emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That site is the weak spot on my drive between my parents' house and here on US-15.  The nTelos 3G service is better, believe it or not.  The only places where it's worse are where I'm roaming or clinging to service before roaming.

I don't know why it hasn't been upgraded but it's the one I keep hoping for most.

- Trip

That site is the weak spot on my drive between my parents' house and here on US-15. The nTelos 3G service is better, believe it or not. The only places where it's worse are where I'm roaming or clinging to service before roaming.

I don't know why it hasn't been upgraded but it's the one I keep hoping for most.

- Trip

I really have no issues with 3G in nTelos land. That tower is the only one I use regularly that is a Sprint 3G only. I took a trip to Fredricksburg two weeks ago and most of my drive was Extended 1X. A major pain if you use Spotify

Today I made a call to an nTelos user who has an iPhone 6s. When the call first connected I noticed how crisp the call quality was. It sounded kind of like VoLTE on Verizon but a little less crisp. I've read somewhere about HD Voice on Sprint before but have never heard it and let alone here in the nTelos market. It sounds great :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Follow up to my last post,

Can someone explain to me how HD Voice on Sprint works? How does it work over 1X and why in the world would they deploy this over 1X as I would assume it would take up more voice channels.

I know the specifics of LTE pretty well but CDMA 1X I have really never read into.

Follow up to my last post,

Can someone explain to me how HD Voice on Sprint works? How does it work over 1X and why in the world would they deploy this over 1X as I would assume it would take up more voice channels.

I know the specifics of LTE pretty well but CDMA 1X I have really never read into.

It doesn't take up extra voice channels. In fact, CDMA 1xAdvanced gives you 4 times the capacity per channel. https://www.qualcomm.com/invention/technologies/ev-do/1x-advanced

• Like 1

2 per sector is a good sign maybe they are adding B41 it takes a while for it to turn on I haven't noticed it there yet. A second B25 carrier should be live on some sites in Beckley.

13ee88609e4bd736a2857a2803334cbe.jpg

Beckley

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Not sure if I missed the post that mentioned this, but I got B41 (2.5Ghz) Sprint in two different places over weekend.  One off Franklin St near Corning in Christiansburg and one in downtown Blacksburg.  With both, I got full signal and about 18-20mbps down and 6mbps up.  This is definitely new equipment since I would never get full signal with the old "4g" on my EVO 3D in those places if at all.

(I'm also with Project Fi if there are any of those out there...)

How's LTE on 64 between Richmond and Charlottesville?

LTE is lost leaving the nTelos area at Zions and I start to pick up LTE around the Hadensville/Gum Spring area. Only issue is my iPhone doesn't want to connect by itself sometimes. I know if I don't get it by passing the Gum Spring Exit sign a Airplane Mode cycle will make it happen

Shentel gets FCC OK for $640M NTELOS buyout

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3173488-shentel-gets-fcc-ok-640m-ntelos-buyout

FCC approves Shentel plan to acquire nTelos

https://www.shentel.com/news/2016/april/fcc%20approval

Sprint and affiliate Shentel talk spectrum, network plans

http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160418/carriers/sprint-affiliate-shentel-talk-spectrum-network-plans-tag17

So, when are we going to see any network upgrades with the merger? Did I understand correctly that the deal will not close until early next year?

I was hoping to see some improvements soon...

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

c935bd38632101f8cfc7cd1828c9f294.jpg

Did the ##SCRTN#, connected to LTE, but no carrier data...

Did ##UPDATE#, phone rebooted, no LTE. What would cause this to happen? I connect to LTE in the Sprint native areas, but not where Boost says we have it in WV.

So, when are we going to see any network upgrades with the merger? Did I understand correctly that the deal will not close until early next year?

When I checked a couple of days ago the licenses are still pending. Hopefully that part of the FCC can catch-up with the other part of the FCC soon.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Based on Shentel's most recent presentation to us shareholders, they have budgeted the CAPEX to upgrade the Ntelos network for this year. I'd guess they at least get 80% of it done, but knowing Shentel's historical expertise I bet they get it all done this year. The formal acquisition should close in the next week or so. I look forward to seeing my Ntelos stock cashed out.  :)

• Like 1

Based on Shentel's most recent presentation to us shareholders, they have budgeted the CAPEX to upgrade the Ntelos network for this year. I'd guess they at least get 80% of it done, but knowing Shentel's historical expertise I bet they get it all done this year. The formal acquisition should close in the next week or so. I look forward to seeing my Ntelos stock cashed out.  :)

COMO83 problem is not that there is no LTE in the are but that Boost won't connect. nTelos/Sprint has LTE in the area even multiple B41 carriers.

I thought there was a Boost phone go through nTelos from the Ohio area -->http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7105-ntelos-tracking/?p=474575

Not sure if it was usable data or just idling on LTE as the phone went past.

COMO83 problem is not that there is no LTE in the are but that Boost won't connect. nTelos/Sprint has LTE in the area even multiple B41 carriers.

I thought there was a Boost phone go through nTelos from the Ohio area -->http://s4gru.com/index.php?/topic/7105-ntelos-tracking/?p=474575

Not sure if it was usable data or just idling on LTE as the phone went past.

Couldn't pull the link...

Couldn't pull the link...

Because it is from nTelos tracking thread on the premier level. It just shows a log showing a boost phone with nTelos LTE entries. But I am not sure how much data was transferred over the nTelos LTE with that phone it is just a SCP log showing it connected.