Network Vision/LTE - Long Island Market

RoccoM

All software defined radios. On modern eNB almost everything is managed remotely. 

Only the addition of new equipment for say a new LTE equipment ie Band 41 or the replacement of faulty gear or upgrade of existing gear requires physical visits. 

Now that makes me really wonder why only one of the sites they told me about has the second carrier coming by Q1 2017 and then why is it so far off from now.

Now that makes me really wonder why only one of the sites they told me about has the second carrier coming by Q1 2017 and then why is it so far off from now.

Either waiting for CDMA refarming or they need to replace the PCS radios. Not out of the question if it has the old and obsolete Panasonic alu branded radios.

If it's a ground mounted radio site that uses rf combiners then they would need to get rid of it as itll be an impediment.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Has any one noticed any improvements in the LI market in the past 6-9 month? Haven't noticed a single upgrade. Of corse I haven't traveled to ever site but I do travel a decent amount in Nassau county and B41 hasn't changed at all and there are still a lot of 3G only sites and 3G holes. 

• 3 months later...

Would any one be interested in putting together a Premier Sponsor Map for Long Island. I would love to collect SCP data and put together a map showing what bands each site has and how many B25 and B41 carriers are present. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just discovered 2 GMO flag poles sites that received LTE. Also found 4 more sites with a second B25 carrier. Looks like things are shaping up.

Both of the flag poles were marked complete on the NV Updates maps years ago but I was never able to get LTE from them. The LTE coverage still doesn't show up on the coverage maps either. Waiting for the next update to see if any other sites have had LTE turned on.

• Like 3

Just discovered 2 GMO flag poles sites that received LTE. Also found 4 more sites with a second B25 carrier. Looks like things are shaping up.

Both of the flag poles were marked complete on the NV Updates maps years ago but I was never able to get LTE from them. The LTE coverage still doesn't show up on the coverage maps either. Waiting for the next update to see if any other sites have had LTE turned on.

Someone said in another thread that the coverage map was updated.

Do they now show up on the coverage map?

• Like 1

Someone said in another thread that the coverage map was updated.

Do they now show up on the coverage map?

Only one of them. Its possible the second one didn't make the cut off. Hopefully it will show on the next update.

I also received word that 3 more 3G only sites are funded and will be getting LTE in the near future. Was told the issue wasn't permits "delay was caused by contract negotiations with our equipment vendor and not with permits or some other delay."

One of this sites is a normal mono pole. the second is a stealth monopole. The third is a stealth pole with the antennas on the outside and covered by some sort of tube looking thing. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I discovered one more GMO site a few weeks ago. It's just a normally looking tower but I believe it's still GMO due to weight or permit restrictions. Both t-mobile and at&t are on the site and they both have very old and small antennas on the site as well. This site is NY27XC695, which I've be told from Sprint. In September or October I was told that it would have LTE by Q1 2017. It was on the last week of March, so right on time

I also want to note NY07XC714 which I was told would get a second b25 carrier in Q1 2017 didn't but NY54XC858 did get a second b25 carrier even though I was told it wouldn't

I also reached out to corporate about a few areas/sites and have be talking to someone who has been asking my question to a local RF technicians. I got some good news about the long island market.

NY54XC859 is flagpole looking site which is near NY27XC695 and is also GMO. I was recently told the site would be done in 6 months which meant 7/1/17. The email confirmed this but they added some interesting notes. This is what they said about these two sites

"We ran into a delay here where any aspect of installation requires Town of Hempstead approval – Renew Zoning, full CD’s, Permitting, FCC report, etc.

Current forecast approval date from the town is about 90 days out. If Hempstead doesn’t delay or filibuster, which they probably will, 120 days total or 4-5 months best case for now till 1900 LTE deployment."

I than ask a few more questions Related to Rockville Centre, Oceanside, Baldwin, and Oceanside

Was this in reference to the 3G site near Grand Ave and Sunrise Hwy? ( the previous answer about permits)

Yes NY54XC859

The reset of the sites have everything but 2500mhz / LTE Plus which I was told would relieve congestion. Any reason​ for those delays and is there any timeline for 2500mhz to be available. 

A good portion of the Long Island market is in the process of having 2500 MHz added to the cascades. The majority of them should be completed by the end of this June 2017.

The Great Neck location is in a different town as well so I don't know if the same delays apply there 

Same answer as the previous question.

I've read about sprints "Small Cell" plans. Is there any plans to bring these to the long Island area? Or just additional cell towers/sites. 

Small Cells or Mini Macros, as Dr. John Saw refers to them, will begin deployment in the Long Island market later on this year.

Last time I spoke to someone they sent me a email from outline the details of the cell site that cover the address I sent over. Below is an example. Any way to get an updated report like this? 

"66 Lincoln Ave Rockville Center, NY 11570
Serving site: NY07XC714, sector 2
Voice coverage: Good
LTE coverage: LTE Plus – Fair
• 4G 2.5 – TBD

• NY54XC858, sector 2 also serves area
• Both sites do not have any major performance issues
• Both sites have 4G 1900/800 LTE deployed
• Serving site is capacity stressed thus slower speeds
• 2nd 4G 1900 LTE carrier funded on NY07XC714. Expected on-air 1Q 2017.
• No 4G 2.5 solution funded"

I will ask my manager if we can provide this amount of information to the customer.

I hope Sprint will keep to these plans these next 9 month. I will giving Sprint another 12 before I leave for another carrier. Slow data speeds have really been affecting my daily life and would be a lot less stressed If I switched. 

• Like 1

Did you ever read the town of Hempstead's wireless Telecom ordinance

https://www.toh.li/permits-and-applications/wireless-telecom-ordinance

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Yes I know its one of the toughest in the United States. But I believe the sites is a little out of date since I believe all the providers sued TOH and the FCC even passed laws that the TOH was violating

• 4 weeks later...

A 2nd B25 carrier just went live on another site in Rockville Centre. Speeds have increased a lot. Sprint just needs to turn this on at every site since B41 is scarce. Its much cheaper than a B41 install and since almost 100% of site have LTE 3G isn't needed as much. Its very rare that I drop B26 to 3G/1x/1x800

If anyone knows of a site with a 2nd B25 carrier let me know. I keep a map/log of updates in the premier section. 

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A lot has been happening in Long Island recently, Ive been talking about it over in the premier sections. But I wanted to share here that I believe I found my first Small Cell in the market that isn't a Mini Macro. 

I wasn't able to try and locate it while driving. The only other time Ive seen this is recently in Chicago where I actually saw the small cells on light posts. This screen shot is from this location

@lilotimz any chance you have any sources?

0D2htNA.png?1

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mirskyc said:

A lot has been happening in Long Island recently, Ive been talking about it over in the premier sections. But I wanted to share here that I believe I found my first Small Cell in the market that isn't a Mini Macro. 

I wasn't able to try and locate it while driving. The only other time Ive seen this is recently in Chicago where I actually saw the small cells on light posts. This screen shot is from this location

@lilotimz any chance you have any sources?

Airspan airstrand as I mentioned on the reddits. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, BossDre05 said:

Speeds in Baldwin, on a Note 8

Screenshot_20180727-070531_Speedtest.jpg

What part of Baldwin? Last I checked Baldwin didn't have any B41. Only B41 coverage from towers in RVC and Freeport.

22 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

What part of Baldwin? Last I checked Baldwin didn't have any B41. Only B41 coverage from towers in RVC and Freeport.

North Baldwin

By the Blink Gym, Near the High School

The screenshot below is to another tower that's B41

Screenshot_20180727-110407_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

Edited by BossDre05
Upload Screenshot

22 minutes ago, BossDre05 said:

North Baldwin

By the Blink Gym, Near the High School

The screenshot below is to another tower that's B41

Screenshot_20180727-110407_SignalCheck Pro.jpg

I wonder if this the the tower right there. Its on the building next to the movie theater. Last time i was in the area it was still only B25/26. 

37 minutes ago, mirskyc said:

I wonder if this the the tower right there. Its on the building next to the movie theater. Last time i was in the area it was still only B25/26. 

I had down time in the area 1 month ago, because my phone was having problems connecting to the towers