Network Vision/LTE - Long Island Market

RoccoM

Talked to someone responsible for fixing a basically catastrophic tower issue on the South Shore, thats killed data service to a huge chunk of the Town of Hempstead.

NV rollout is supposed to begin on the last week of March/First week of April.

LTE is supposed to be turned on in a window between mid-June and the end of July.

Edited by RoccoM

Talked to someone responsible for fixing a basically catastrophic tower issue on the South Shore, thats killed data service to a huge chunk of the Town of Hempstead.

NV rollout is supposed to begin on the last week of March/First week of April.

LTE is supposed to be turned on in a window between mid-June and the end of July.

Rocco...

I'm looking at the short term and long term NV schedules right this very second after reading this. Long Island is not on the short term schedule at all. That means that A/L will not begin deployment before the end of September. I do see Long Island on the long term schedule. We will have an article discussing Long Island in the not too distant future.

Stay tuned to S4GRU.com for all the latest.

Robert

Rocco...

I'm looking at the short term and long term NV schedules right this very second after reading this. Long Island is not on the short term schedule at all. That means that A/L will not begin deployment before the end of September. I do see Long Island on the long term schedule. We will have an article discussing Long Island in the not too distant future.

Stay tuned to S4GRU.com for all the latest.

Robert

Then its possible that this chunk of Nassau is grouped within the NYC market?

Zipcode 11570/11572 was the extreme eastern point of the WiMax deployment.

Edited by RoccoM

Here is the Long Island market map. You tell me...

gallery_1_5_71920.jpg

If it is in the New York City market, then the dates are a little better. A/L is starting deployment in the NYC market this month. They are schedule to convert approximately 75-100 sites per month on average. They will all be usable when they come online. You won't have to wait until the end. However, it will take approx. 10 months to complete...start to finish.

Sprint plans to announce the market as launched when they are complete with 50% of the sites. Sprint is currently estimating the "launch" of the NYC market in October 2012.

Robert

• Like 1

According to that (Long Island) map, the eastern end of Queens including JFK Airport and part of the Rockaways (all within the NYC line) are designated in the Long Island Market map. But if you look at the NYC deployment map those areas are covered as well as quite a few western Nassau county areas. 11570 (Rockville Centre) is covered but 11572 (Oceanside) is not, its in the Long Island map only.

This is unscientific btw, using the gallery maps and Google maps.

TS

According to that (Long Island) map, the eastern end of Queens including JFK Airport and part of the Rockaways (all within the NYC line) are designated in the Long Island Market map. But if you look at the NYC deployment map those areas are covered as well as quite a few western Nassau county areas. 11570 (Rockville Centre) is covered but 11572 (Oceanside) is not, its in the Long Island map only.

This is unscientific btw, using the gallery maps and Google maps.

TS

Yeah, these maps are rough coverage maps that Digiblur put together, so they will show some overlapping coverage at the edge of markets. I will be posting actual site maps in the S4GRU Sponsors forum in the near future for the Long Island and NYC markets. That will make it much more clear. Thanks!

Robert

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

An update for those of you in the Long Island market. There are 8 sites that have been posted as complete with 3G Network Vision upgrades in this market to date.

I just uploaded 1 more site as In Progress in the Long Island market over in the NV Sites Complete maps. It is located NE of Huntington near Centerport. This site is actually accepted as complete with 3G NV upgrades and will appear in next week's update.

Robert

• 1 month later...

I will say that LI, with such a large population, sure got screwed over by Sprint.. I doubt I'd have a Sprint phone if I lived there but I visit family often so keep tabs.. When I had a WIMAX phone, I would get coverage in the city and even on the LIRR going to LI.. but once I cleared the Nassau border, there it went... I have LTE now and hope by the time I visit LI again this summer that I'll get some high speed coverage.. Thankfully for me, there are a ton of public hotspots run by the cable companies around that I can easily use.. CABLEWIFI.. Driving through parts of the North Shore around Glen Cove, they are available on the street and even in the car... Just need to use my Time Warner or Comcast logins to access.. Looking at the VZW map, they are fully in use..

• 3 weeks later...

I will say that LI, with such a large population, sure got screwed over by Sprint.. I doubt I'd have a Sprint phone if I lived there but I visit family often so keep tabs.. When I had a WIMAX phone, I would get coverage in the city and even on the LIRR going to LI.. but once I cleared the Nassau border, there it went... I have LTE now and hope by the time I visit LI again this summer that I'll get some high speed coverage.. Thankfully for me, there are a ton of public hotspots run by the cable companies around that I can easily use.. CABLEWIFI.. Driving through parts of the North Shore around Glen Cove, they are available on the street and even in the car... Just need to use my Time Warner or Comcast logins to access.. Looking at the VZW map, they are fully in use..

Lol, don't hold your breath.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

well.. I don't like it.. actually it's horrible. you would think they would speed it up with the Hamptons, Montauk.. It looks like we're a year away from 4g. we always get screwed by Sprint! no wimax, no lte! and a couple million people don't matter. They don't forget to collect there 10$ "premium" data vig...

well.. I don't like it.. actually it's horrible. you would think they would speed it up with the Hamptons, Montauk.. It looks like we're a year away from 4g. we always get screwed by Sprint! no wimax, no lte! and a couple million people don't matter. They don't forget to collect there 10$ "premium" data vig...

Blame the NIMBYs there who won't allow work to be done without committees and bribery. You think it's easy to get equipment to a cell site when local communities won't allow work to be done?

• Like 2

First LTE site accepted in the Long Island market today in Port Jefferson. It will be posted to the NV Sites Complete Map tonight in the Sponsor area. Woohoo!

Robert

• Like 2

First LTE site accepted in the Long Island market today in Port Jefferson. It will be posted to the NV Sites Complete Map tonight in the Sponsor area. Woohoo!

Robert

Cool, that's only a few miles from where I am at the moment, too bad my phone doesn't support LTE.

Hope you mapped it on Sensorly.

Sent from my little Note2

I did, haven't seen an update yet. I looked but do u know the locations of any sites that are in progress or going to? if I over looked it could you point me to the right place? thanks much.

yes I did. But I haven't seen it updated yet

Sensorly has been updating fast since this morning. I hope you are not running a custom ROM with the carrier info changed otherwise it will upload but never show up. Anyways.. Check your details screen after you hit map trip and start. It should show them uploading.

• Like 1

Sensorly has been updating fast since this morning. I hope you are not running a custom ROM with the carrier info changed otherwise it will upload but never show up. Anyways.. Check your details screen after you hit map trip and start. It should show them uploading.

damm, I'm on a custom Rom.. I'll have to change that and go again.

damm, I'm on a custom Rom.. I'll have to change that and go again.

Custom ROM's are fine as long as the developer did not change the carrier information. This usually happens in ROM ports, etc.. Me thinks you'll be fine on TPR, but you can ask Kenny & Co. if they did make any modifications in the build.prop, etc..