Apple makes me want to vomit! (supposedly...)

Virtualbot

New iPhone users report feeling "nausea" and "headaches"

Apple’s new iOS 7 operating system has been downloaded 200 million times - and some users are complaining that the animations make them seasick - or worse.

http://news.yahoo.com/new-iphone-users-report-feeling--nausea--and--headaches--101841690.html

I haven't updated my iPod Touch to iOS7 yet, so I don't know if this is true, but is anyone feeling these type of side-effects? 

http://news.yahoo.com/new-iphone-users-report-feeling--nausea--and--headaches--101841690.html

I haven't updated my iPod Touch to iOS7 yet, so I don't know if this is true, but is anyone feeling these type of side-effects? 

wasnt that a side effect of subliminal messages??  maybe apple is working for the nsa lol 

It is that parallex effect. When you move your iPhone/Pod/Pad, the background and icons all move around according to how the sensors detect you move your device. It is very distracting, annoying and useless. I havent played with the iPhone much,but with the larger screen of the iPad, it is really noticable. There is no way to turn it off, but you can minimize the amount in the accessability screen from what I have read. I haven't tried that yet since I tend to avoid using my iPad since the update.

It is that parallex effect. When you move your iPhone/Pod/Pad, the background and icons all move around according to how the sensors detect you move your device. It is very distracting, annoying and useless. I havent played with the iPhone much,but with the larger screen of the iPad, it is really noticable. There is no way to turn it off, but you can minimize the amount in the accessability screen from what I have read. I haven't tried that yet since I tend to avoid using my iPad since the update.

I noticed the same thing when I was messing with the kids school iPad.  (omitting opinions about how the school set them up with zenworks as they had no idea what they were doing).  I thought I saw the icons move and thought it was my eyes or maybe something wrong with the screen until I shook it and saw it doing it again.  Weird looking.  I'm all for making things look better but wow...  Fisher Price development team must have taken over.  Even the kids are saying it looks preschoolish now. 

Oh, I dunno, I like to think of iOS 7 as being Superflat, in the style of Murakami Takashi.

Honestly though, I see why this hasn't bothered me; parallax stuff has been in videogames for years and years.

No, it is not making anyone experience any nausea or vomiting.

You may think it distasteful, but it's not making anyone sick.

If it is, or if it's not, Apple will probably just tell users they are looking at the phone the wrong way and offer some BS solution.

:P

-Luis

• Like 1

If it is, or if it's not, Apple will probably just tell users they are looking at the phone the wrong way and offer some BS solution.

:P

-Luis

roght, except to have a solution to a problem (BS or not) you first need a problem. Parallax could increase battery drain, but certainly there is no illness there.

The preschool look to the UI makes me want to vomit, does that count? I am an Apple fan, been using Macs since OS 9, but iOS 7 feels like a step in the wrong direction from a visual standpoint.

• Like 1

roght, except to have a solution to a problem (BS or not) you first need a problem. Parallax could increase battery drain, but certainly there is no illness there.

No offense to what you're saying, but that sounds exactly how Apple responds to negative criticism.

If the UI of a product is making people nauseous and having them experience vertigo, etc, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. On top of having such certainty! Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it's not real.

The fact that people are reporting feeling sick IS a problem. Like when users had the signal issues, that was a problem, to which apple blamed the users claiming they were holding the phone wrong.

-Luis

• Like 1

No offense to what you're saying, but that sounds exactly how Apple responds to negative criticism.

If the UI of a product is making people nauseous and having them experience vertigo, etc, you shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. On top of having such certainty! Just because you don't experience it doesn't mean it's not real.

The fact that people are reporting feeling sick IS a problem. Like when users had the signal issues, that was a problem, to which apple blamed the users claiming they were holding the phone wrong.

-Luis

ive yet to have one customer say this is happening. I have customers complain about everything under the sun but they somehow manage to omit the vomit inducing UI? No.

Plenty that hate iOS 7 for sure. But none vomit.

Just because they're upset about iOS 7 doesn't mean their stomach is.

ive yet to have one customer say this is happening. I have customers complain about everything under the sun but they somehow manage to omit the vomit inducing UI? No.

In your experience. You can't generalize for everyone based on your experiences.

-Luis

• Like 1

I know effects people different, but 2 of my friends and me couldn't hardly tell the background and icons were moving.  I think it is just a waste, so I actually turned it off earlier today when reading about possible battery drain.

ok, so how many people have you seen experience this?

None, but by your logic since I don't know anyone that's had this happen to them, it's not possible at all. That's a very narrow minded way of thinking, everyone experiences things in a different manner.

Although it's not the first time I've heard of moving images causing people nausea and headaches.

-Luis

• Like 1

I wonder if it's the Dynamic wallpapers that are doing it?  I always thought that was a dumb feature when I first saw it when I had a Galaxy S.  Seemed like a good way to drain the battery.

I use a personal static image so the effect is not that great.  

The Parallax effect is easy enough to turn off though.  Settings | General | Accessibility | Reduce Motion.

I wonder if it's the Dynamic wallpapers that are doing it?  I always thought that was a dumb feature when I first saw it when I had a Galaxy S.  Seemed like a good way to drain the battery.

I use a personal static image so the effect is not that great.  

The Parallax effect is easy enough to turn off though.  Settings | General | Accessibility | Reduce Motion.

Agree... Live wallpapers are kinda dumb.  Maybe if it was regional radar or something that updated, but other than that it's kinda useless.  The only moving wallpaper I like is when I slide light and right between my screens I like how it shifts the wallpaper over a bit to indicate you slid over.

• Like 1

I never even notice my background moving, unless I'm concentrating on it to watch it move. As for making me sick to my stomach. I call BS. Never had problems with such things, and I get sick from roller coasters.

My mom gets motion sickness easily, and has told me that moving home screen around and all the animations have made her dizzy at times (she has an iPad). Amplify someone who gets sick even easier, and yeah I could see some actually getting sick from it. It makes me uneasy at times too. Enough so that I really want to roll my iPad back to iOS 6.

My mom gets motion sickness easily, and has told me that moving home screen around and all the animations have made her dizzy at times (she has an iPad). Amplify someone who gets sick even easier, and yeah I could see some actually getting sick from it. It makes me uneasy at times too. Enough so that I really want to roll my iPad back to iOS 6.

Did you turn off the animations?

Agree... Live wallpapers are kinda dumb.  Maybe if it was regional radar or something that updated, but other than that it's kinda useless.  The only moving wallpaper I like is when I slide light and right between my screens I like how it shifts the wallpaper over a bit to indicate you slid over.

I love the Phase Beam on my Nexus 7 though :)

Never liked it for phones.

-Luis

• Like 1

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2399586?start=15&tstart=0

there is more than that on the site... it may not sound like a reasonable complaint but the number of them are increasing... (i googled iphone sickness and got several sites showing complaints)

i think its an easy fix... i seriously doubt you can write it up to all apple haters... these are after all apple users... i write it up to people not liking change to ios7 same bs happens when anyone else has an update but to say unequivocally that its bull shit and not a real problem to those people it is.. addressing how to shut it off or how they can fix it otherwise not discounting their complaints would be the way to go.  personally id stop staring at my iphone so much lol open an app and shut up... i think anyone that stares at their phone long enough to induce vomitting probably arent that stable but there are enough people not happy with it to warrant it a problem...

just another firstworldproblem lol