LTE to omaha,cb?

ab30494

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering the same thing. I am due for an upgrade and am seriously considering switching to Verizon since they have had LTE available since last summer. I will probably stick with Sprint until June, but if they haven't announced any LTE plans for Omaha by then, I'm gone.

Edited by BPHusker

Last two Second Round markets will be announced tonight in chat. That will conclude the last markets that are expected to start in 2012. Remaining markets will be 2013 starts. Stay tuned.

Robert

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Last two Second Round markets will be announced tonight in chat. That will conclude the last markets that are expected to start in 2012. Remaining markets will be 2013 starts. Stay tuned.

Robert

Robert - Posted from my E4GT with ICS using Forum Runner

Let's hope it is announced. I don't want to leave Sprint, but I don't want to buy an LTE phone and have to wait a year to be able to use it. I did that with the Evo and Wimax and I don't want to do it again. :\

Let's hope it is announced. I don't want to leave Sprint, but I don't want to buy an LTE phone and have to wait a year to be able to use it. I did that with the Evo and Wimax and I don't want to do it again. :\

I can understand your hesitancy. However, the difference between LTE and WiMax deployment is night and day. WiMax was never planned to go nationwide on every site. And also, WiMax deployment was through a 3rd party (Clearwire) that ended up getting into severe cash problems. Also, WiMax as a technology just never caught on mainstream.

LTE is being deployed nationwide on over 99% of all Sprint sites. It does have an announced schedule to be just over 24 months (WiMax never was announced with a deployment schedule). LTE technology is not going away anytime soon, as it has become the global 4G standard. And Sprint is deploying it itself on its own spectrum and has already executed all the contracts for the work. Also, Sprint is announcing markets in advance. Whereas with WiMax, they were announced at completion.

So, that all being said, I can respect your hesitancy based on previous WiMax deployment. However, I personally have no concerns about buying a LTE device in 2012 based on the WiMax failures. And I live in a Sprint market that is at the very end of the Network Vision program.

Robert

• Like 3

Just curious...if Omaha were to be announced tonight, it would still be in the 2nd round which would put it around an early to mid 2013 time frame release date. Does that change your mind? To put it into perspective, you would still be waiting about a year for LTE service at the very earliest. Most of us are stuck in that boat of having to wait for Network Vision upgrades and LTE service. Even ATT's LTE isn't that widespread so Verizon would be the only alternative at this point. I know it sucks but I believe that Sprint is doing the right thing here in improving its tower infrastructure and deploying LTE to compete with the big 2. I have high hopes for Sprint.

Rest assure that Sprint will be upgrading all of its markets with Network Vision and LTE including Omaha. Sprint has a schedule of when to launch certain markets between now and mid 2014.

• Like 1

Also, would like to make the point that market starts at the end of the 2nd round and starts at the beginning of the 3rd round are not very dissimilar. The breaking up into rounds is more of a market management thing than it is a significant calendar difference.

This is evident with Miami/West Palm and Memphis in the 2nd Round. Ericsson will start mobilizing in Miami in May and Memphis in June. However, NYC, which is a 1st Rounder starts in April. And SF Bay (which is also in the 1st Round) is now confirmed as a Summer start. So no one should be freaking out because their market is not at the end of the 2nd Round. Unless they live in New Mexico! ;)

Robert

Unless they live in New Mexico! ;)

Robert

In which case: It's the end of the world! But at least you have really good data speeds where you live since that tower is right outside your house.

• Like 1