New to iphone....have questions

xman1102

I'm seriously considering the iPhone 5s in a few weeks with my current upgrade.

I've been Android and have never owned anything iphone, ipad, ipod, etc. However, I'm ready for a switch and I guess now seems as good as any.

First question is about storage size. I'm pretty sure I like the 32gb. I use my GS3 for music probably more than anything else. I currently have about 12gb more or less of music. I don't store anything else that takes up much space. So I'm wondering, could I get away with the 16gb? I'm wondering if anyone utilizes icloud and does it save space? With icloud, I'm assuming you can move stuff back and forth to the cloud? Curious on thoughts about storage.

Secondly, I know we are waiting until next week to get the official specs, but are rumors looking that this might be tri-band?

Any and all advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from me phone

I've been Android and have never owned anything iphone, ipad, ipod, etc. However, I'm ready for a switch and I guess now seems as good as any.

First question is about storage size. I'm pretty sure I like the 32gb. I use my GS3 for music probably more than anything else. I currently have about 12gb more or less of music. I don't store anything else that takes up much space. So I'm wondering, could I get away with the 16gb? I'm wondering if anyone utilizes icloud and does it save space? With icloud, I'm assuming you can move stuff back and forth to the cloud? Curious on thoughts about storage.

Secondly, I know we are waiting until next week to get the official specs, but are rumors looking that this might be tri-band?

Sent from me phone

if it is a tri-band, go for it. Otherwise I say no, u will be so mad at yourself to be limited to 1900 lte. Well everyone else has 800 and 2500/2600 lte. Personally I am not a big fan of apple, I hate how much they limit the product. I like the product they make, just hate the control thing, I also like to have removable memory and my gs3 does that for me. But honestly if it isnt tri-band dont do it.

Get at least a 32GB. You'll be trying out lots of new apps, and some can be pretty hefty in size. That's what I have.

I would never get an iPhone, but that's not the question hehe. 

If you have 12GB of music, I would said you most definitely will need the 32GB version. 4GB free does not leave a lot of room for apps and the system files already on the device. 

With Dropbox, Google Music, and Spotify, I store almost exclusively apps on my phone, and am already closing in on 3GB worth of apps. 

If it is not Tri-Band, DO NOT GET IT. With TD-LTE already online in several cities, and 800 LTE coming soon, you'd be missing out on the additional LTE coverage for nearly two years. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from me phone

i regret gertting the 16GB so much. go 32GB if you jump ship.

Sent from me phone

Wow lots of apple haters..so to answer some of your questions. 1. iCloud for me is mainly great for keeping little things like documents stored so I can access them at anytime but you can get that with any service like dropbox or something.  I think the greatest thing about iCloud/Apple is how seamlessly it works with your computer and phone. For example, I download a song on my phone or my computer and its automatically on the other device.  I take a picture with my phone and its automatically stored on my mac.  I schedule an appointment or reminder on one it is automatically on the other device. I love how easy and seamless it just works and does everything for you without having to plug your phone in and transfer stuff all the time. NOTE: you do have to have a mac for your phone to work like this.  I am a fan of macs OS and how amazing the photo library is on a mac though.  So if you want that kind of experience you would have to switch over to mac completely and get like a mac air or something.

Next I would never go lower than 32 GB but thats just my opinion.  I have a 32 GB phone and I will definitely get a 64 GB next time.  I do like to put a few movies on my phone for flights though and I do have lots of music and apps.

You might like to switch it up a bit since you've only had android and you might like to have ios for a while to just have a change of pace.

Now for compatibility...iphone will obviously work amazing with a mac and it does alright when syncing with a pc.  If you ever buy a mac and want to sync your android device with your mac computer forget about it.  I will only own a mac now and I had an android a while ago and I hated it just for the sole purpose of how difficult it is to put songs and various items from your mac onto the android device.  I know this info is a little over the top but this is just incase you decide to go all out and buy an iphone and a mac computer then want to switch back to android later.

Now the whole tri-band issue...I personally feel if apple puts out even a dual band that picks up the 1900 and 800 LTE then I would go for it.  If they just leave it to the single 1900 LTE band then no I would not get an iphone.  

Now you need to look at screen size.  If you are ok with a smaller screen then iphone is a great option.  How the iphone 5 looks and feels is exactly how the new one will look and feel (except for the "cheaper" iphone thats rumored to be released, but the screen won't be any bigger)

I personally wish the screen size was bigger.  If it wasn't for how easily my phone works with my mac I would go to an android phone for the sole purpose of screen size.

Now final thoughts...both android and ios are amazing platforms and have advantages that the other does not.  As far as phone quality apple does an amazing job but also samsung and HTC are great too. (I'm not a fan of LG phones and even though we know they are coming out with a tri-band phone I would never get it)  Honestly if you want to switch it up as long as apple puts out at least a dual band LTE then you will not be disappointed.  I know you most likely wont buy a mac computer so all of those other features I described wont matter but its still an amazing product by itself and I think you will love it!

• Like 1

I agree, 32gb minimum.  I have a 16 gb which only nets you like 13.5 gb of storage after the OS and all the pre-loaded stuff is on the phone.  Then with numerous apps, pictures, videos, etc, the data gets used up quickly!

As far as jumping ship, both operating systems are great. I had a HTC Hero and Original EVO 4G. I prefer iOS to Android.  iOS is def. more stable, easy to use and comes with a lot things intergrated that work together great. Syncing your phone with itunes is a breeze.  I can only remember having to reset this phone once vs. a lot of battery pulls with my Evo. 

One thing I thought Apple lacked vs. Android that I missed was the quick access toggle buttons for BT, GPS, etc, but that is now being address in iOS 7. 

One grip I do have is having to use default Apple apps, like clicking a link to an address and it opens it up in Apple Maps instead of Google Maps, which I prefer to use. 

I went from OG Evo to iPhone 5 and it didn't bother me, but they are pretty clost to screen size (4.3" to 4").  Going from a GS3 to iPhone is a different story.  My bro-in-law has a GS3 and we were trying to pull up the same video a few weeks back and it was a lot easier for 2 people to watch a video on his phone vs. mine.

• Like 1

I still have the Evo 3D, my son uses it.

Guess it's one of those, have to just try it and see things.

Sent from me phone

This was the issue I have when people hand me their iOS devices. So small, feels like a kids phone and that it might break at any moment. I just laugh when they try to show me a video on that little thing.

I can see the phone size being necessary if you wear skinny jeans or really tight shorts at the gym.

• Like 2

This was the issue I have when people hand me their iOS devices. So small, feels like a kids phone and that it might break at any moment. I just laugh when they try to show me a video on that little thing.

I can see the phone size being necessary if you wear skinny jeans or really tight shorts at the gym.

I hear this is what is debuting tomorrow: http://imgur.com/XbxQwm2

Smaller phones are so hot right now: http://imgur.com/M8E08Rj

I still have the Evo 3D, my son uses it.

Guess it's one of those, have to just try it and see things.

Sent from me phone

It's really going to be user preference.  When I switched from Android, I was going from one 4" phone to another, so I wasn't affected.  That said,  I always thought my wife's iPod Touch with it's 3.5" screen was too small.  

Smaller means more portable, so you have to decide if it's too small to be usable.  I used to have a Powerbook that was 15" but switched to a smaller 13" MacBook and never really missed it and loved the increase in portability.  I've toyed with downsizing to an iPad mini for the same portability reasons.  If Apple ever goes larger with the iPhone, I hope they keep a smaller iPhone version for those of us that prefer it.

The good news is that if you switch and truly hate it, the resale value on iPhones is great so you should be able to recoup your investment and go back to Android if needed.

• Like 1

Ok, someone who has done the switch, how was going to the smaller screen? As mentioned above, that is a major concern and possibly a deal breaker for me.

Sent from me phone

I went from a GS3/EVO LTE to the iPhone 5, and didn't regret it at all. I consider myself a power user, and after a few days of using the 5, the screen size grew on me. I found it easier to use with one hand, something I had to almost retrain myself on. I had gotten used to always having to use two hands to text, etc. and with the 5, I found I no longer had to.

So one of my work mates has a GS3, like myself. I guess I've never noticed it with others, but wow it looked huge today with them using it.

I asked if that is what mine looks like as well when I use it. Not sure why I never noticed.

Looking forward to the 5s now.

Sent from me phone

• Like 1

Sent from me phone

Don't let Digi bring you down.  He continually fishes for the Android/iOS argument. Dumb.

Anyways, I switched from the OGEvo to the iPhone 5.  Same size and it works great. I also have iOS 7 on it.  Took a little while but I like 7 a bunch.  It will not be tri-band (has band 25 and 26).  That is the bummer for me.

Don't let Digi bring you down. He continually fishes for the Android/iOS argument. Dumb.

Anyways, I switched from the OGEvo to the iPhone 5. Same size and it works great. I also have iOS 7 on it. Took a little while but I like 7 a bunch. It will not be tri-band (has band 25 and 26). That is the bummer for me.

You guys keep bringing it up. Dumb. I was simply talking phone size. I will now refer to iOS and Android as Misc phone type so the iOS guys can get off that jump to conclusion mat.

• Like 1

You guys keep bringing it up. Dumb. I was simply talking phone size. I will now refer to iOS and Android as Misc phone type so the iOS guys can get off that jump to conclusion mat.

Trollololol. buy the "misc" phone :rofl:

I can vouch for digiblur, give the guy a break.

If a larger than 4" screen is a must-have for you, then head on over to the Android section and enjoy yourself. If you want the world's best mobile phone CPU then get the iPhone 5S.

There are a ton of other considerations and it all depends on what you like. I hire Apple to make choices for me. I'm busy making money or spending time with my family, customizing my phone's ROM fell off the list a long time ago. But if you love that sort of thing you might make different choices.

• Like 1

Don't let Digi bring you down.  He continually fishes for the Android/iOS argument. Dumb.

Anyways, I switched from the OGEvo to the iPhone 5.  Same size and it works great. I also have iOS 7 on it.  Took a little while but I like 7 a bunch.  It will not be tri-band (has band 25 and 26).  That is the bummer for me.

I don't see anything wrong with Digi's comment.  It is true is it not that the iPhone device is pretty small at 4 inches.  I don't see anything that is instigating a iOS vs. Android argument.  I completely agree with him as to why I would not consider the iPhone at this moment simply because of the screen size of the phone.  If Apple makes a 5 inch iPhone version and makes the software a bit better, only then will it tickle my interest.