Why didn't Sprint jump for "5G"?

ajr0203

I know we all love Sprint, and want it to be the best and most reliable network. I'm just wondering as to why Sprint didn't decide to make a crazy announcement of a "5G" network and just skip over 4G? Would this not be possible? Does one have to have a predecessor network in place before a successor network can come to be? I would think that they could have just installed back haul that could support a "5G" network. Would this have been plausible? Did they ever think of doing this and decided that it would have taken three times as long as NV has already? This was just an idea that popped in my head earlier and wanted to start a discussion on it and see what you guys have to say about it.

tmobile said they had a 4g network before they technically had one lol 

"5G" is still in testing phases....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5G

Beyond 2020, maybe that's why Sprint didn't jump for it. That's true, a lot of companies claimed to have 4G networks before LTE. Well, I suppose Sprint has enough on their plate with trying to have all these different spectrums of LTE.

I know we all love Sprint, and want it to be the best and most reliable network. I'm just wondering as to why Sprint didn't decide to make a crazy announcement of a "5G" network and just skip over 4G? Would this not be possible? Does one have to have a predecessor network in place before a successor network can come to be? I would think that they could have just installed back haul that could support a "5G" network. Would this have been plausible? Did they ever think of doing this and decided that it would have taken three times as long as NV has already? This was just an idea that popped in my head earlier and wanted to start a discussion on it and see what you guys have to say about it.

they tried that with wimax.. now of course wimax wasnt the issue clearwire was but after that episode going to what everyone else had or was going to was a much better idea than taking another leap of faith

• Like 1

I"m not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or not?

There isn't really anything that can be considered "5G" since we've really only just begun to get close to a true 4G network.

Isn't a "true" 4G network capable of 1gb/s?

Beyond 2020, maybe that's why Sprint didn't jump for it. That's true, a lot of companies claimed to have 4G networks before LTE. Well, I suppose Sprint has enough on their plate with trying to have all these different spectrums of LTE.

no i didnt say 4g before lte... tmobile was saying that their hspa hspa+ networks were 4g when in fact they were 3.5g it wasnt a total leap to 4g yes it was faster but not technically 4g

Isn't a "true" 4G network capable of 1gb/s?

I believe the threshold was 100Mbps. 

Have peak data rates of up to approximately 100 Mbit/s for high mobility such as mobile access and up to approximately 1 Gbit/s for low mobility such as nomadic/local wireless access.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4G#IMT-Advanced_requirements

• Like 1

Why limit it to 5G? Go ahead and deploy Ali G.

AJ

• Like 5

I"m not sure if this is supposed to be a joke or not?

There isn't really anything that can be considered "5G" since we've really only just begun to get close to a true 4G network.

It's not sadly. Everything is revolutionizing much fasteer and as the data usage gets higher each year. Which means better speeds.

5G is also referred to as beyond 2020 mobile communications technologies. 5G does not describe any particular specification in any official document published by any telecommunication standardization body.

The above is the key. 5g is a concept, one that has not yet solidified into a practical implementation. As we get closer many of the technologies currently being developed will either find their way into future incremental improvements to 4g (4.5g? like wimax \ hspda is really 3.5g) or (and probably also) into whatever 5g standards emerge. What I think they have done with NV \ NV2 etc is give themselves the best chance of expanding their network as fast as they can. Building out what would amount to a proprietary network would probably be unreliable and hugely expensive. I guess they could 'lead the charge' but what sprint craves is quality of service (through coverage and capacity). It's a valid question, but I think they made the right choice, I'm not sure they even could push for a '5g' network for years anyway.

• Like 2

The above is the key. 5g is a concept, one that has not yet solidified into a practical implementation. As we get closer many of the technologies currently being developed will either find their way into future incremental improvements to 4g (4.5g? like wimax \ hspda is really 3.5g) or (and probably also) into whatever 5g standards emerge. What I think they have done with NV \ NV2 etc is give themselves the best chance of expanding their network as fast as they can. Building out what would amount to a proprietary network would probably be unreliable and hugely expensive. I guess they could 'lead the charge' but what sprint craves is quality of service (through coverage and capacity). It's a valid question, but I think they made the right choice, I'm not sure they even could push for a '5g' network for years anyway.

I can't wait to see what 5G will be like lol

• Like 1

This was basically what I was wondering. I knew there wasn't really a standard set per say for "5G". I guess what I meant in terms of "5G" was the best speeds and greatest coverage. I know Verizon has the coverage part and AT&T has the speed. I know that the 800mhz spectrum will greatly improve our coverage from how it currently stands. How do the other companies (specifically big red and big blue) have greater coverage? Do they just have more native towers than Sprint does? I'm not trying to diss Sprint here at all if it comes off that way.

How do the other companies (specifically big red and big blue) have greater coverage? Do they just have more native towers than Sprint does? I'm not trying to diss Sprint here at all if it comes off that way.

I suppose I need to do some scans of Sprint, VZW, and Cingular coverage brochures, circa 2000-2003, that I have archived somewhere.  Sprint native footprint is nearly the same now as it was then.  But VZW and Cingular (AT&T) have used their monopoly money to buy up everything else in site -- pun intended.  Many of you youngsters lack the age and experience to be aware of that.

AJ

• Like 4

I suppose I need to do some scans of Sprint, VZW, and Cingular coverage brochures, circa 2000-2003, that I have archived somewhere.  Sprint native footprint is nearly the same now as it was then.  But VZW and Cingular (AT&T) have used their monopoly money to buy up everything else in site -- pun intended.  Many of you youngsters lack the age and experience to be aware of that.

AJ

That's why we look up to you guys for the knowledge :) I do remember when cingular and AT&T merged together. I believe the commercial had a large tree in it or something lol

I think we should deploy WarrenG.

Nah, I highly doubt that Warren G could "regulate" the Super-G.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODFeUeNcvy4

AJ

It really would be, however, I'll just be happy when I have 4G.

True, and you know that whilst you may have a 5gbps mobile connection a certain two providers will still be selling 4gb a month of data for $70 ;) 

• Like 4