The Iphone 5s & Iphone 5c [not Tri-Band LTE] (was "Next iPhone to be announced on September 10")

sbolen

On the one hand, including Band 26 is good, so iPhones won't suffer from reduced coverage relative to tri-band phones. On the other, another iPhone 5S/5C model has a number of TD-LTE bands. But the Sprint iPhone version has none.

Now you don't have to keep hitting F5 on your keyboard at the FCC database and have more free time now.

Yeah. I got to spare my F5 key for another day. I actually left the house 10 minutes ago to go to work for a little while.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

WAAA its not triband UGH such a freaking disappointment .

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

Meh, 2500/2600 LTE won't be available everywhere, or even 50% by the time the iPhone 6 is announced, so I don't see why it would matter.

• Like 2

I was hoping for the same..  but by the time 2600 is available/ useable in 'most' markets like mine it'll be likely be another year if not more..

Believe me, LTE 2600 will not be built in a day.  By next Sept, the iPhone 6 will probably be triband.  Its going to take years to deploy LTE 2600 on a nationwide scale despite it being an overlay since they still need to install new equipment at the towers and of course manpower to do all this work.  We see how much all the major vendors are struggling to find enough manpower in integration teams and inspectors to go to all the Network Vision sites to approve each one.

With how NV is being deployed we will easily see a new apple device with tri-band on it when B41 finally goes live around the nation.  I think dual band is great!  And like it was mentioned you android peeps can have all the B41 you want (if you will even be able to use it because of how weak of a signal it is and not being around for a long time)

I'm confused as to why there are 2 CDMA versions of either phone.

Yea, the only difference between A1453 and A1533 is that A1453 adds LTE bands 18 and 26. For that matter, why have a GSM-only A1533? Seems like A1453 could replace the other two US models entirely, like the Nexus 5.

LTE 2600 is not even available in my area and won't be for sometime. Right now I'm concerned about LTE 800 but once Sprint SoftBank deploys LTE on 2600 then I hope the iPhone 6 will support band 41.

No need to upset when majority of us don't have LTE 2600 in our area. And we all know the deployment for that wont start until next year.

It's 2500 not 2600 right?

Its both actually since B41 has a spectrum range from 2500-2700.  But on this forum we use 2500 and 2600 interchangeably.  Either one is correct and both 2500 and 2600 refer to the same thing.

• Like 1

Yes, but only in a very limited number of markets. Won't 800 surpass 2600 very quickly once it's deployed?

It definitely should since the 800 RRU is already installed at the tower and when crews go back to fire up LTE 800 on already completed NV sites its all ground work at the base stations which should be much quicker.

For LTE 2600, all towers will need to have a new 2600 RRU installed to support LTE which involves tower work and configuration at the base station.  Not to mention that permitting would need to be involved.

2600 is already live, 800 isnt

Yes but in most markets 2600 is part of NV 2.0 starting end of 2014 .. 800 LTE will be coming much sooner as its part of the current NV.  2600 is only live in the cities where Clearwire was already building out 2600 which Sprint NV had little to do with.. right ? 

Yup and LTE 800 is not technically behind schedule.  Sprint always said that LTE 800 deployment would begin late Q3 to early Q4.  We are about approaching late Q3 so I expect that some work has already started on LTE 800.

To be honest, I think most people would rather have the LTE 800 support over LTE 2600 support since its going to have better range and building penetration.  The only problem is that 800 MHz deployment is not everywhere in the US since those cities near the IBEZ areas will not get to experience LTE 800 or CDMA 800.

Well at least its dual band...I think thats alright...obviously we all hoped for tri-band but I'm content with the dual band.  if they wouldn't have supported the 800 LTE frequency...I would've boycotted apple for years to come but i'm alright with it

True I mean having 2600 band support definitely would have helped with offloading new iPhone 5S users to the LTE 2600 band but really what LTE 2600 network is out there to offload to.  Maybe only in a few select markets. I still think we have another 2-3 years before we see nationwide LTE 2600 coverage.  Before you know it the iPhone 6 will be here next year.  I really think the iPhone 6 will have B41 support because maybe Apple looked at Sprint and thought that since LTE 2600 is not so widespread yet then why add the costs to add B41 when the network is not really there to support it.

While Apple could have made the same argument for LTE 800, I think Sprint really wanted B26 in there because they want iPhone customers to be able to have better range and building coverage with LTE and was willing to compromise with Apple on that front.

Picture this. You're in Times Square, one of your friends has a shiny new iPhone 5S. The other has a Note 3 (Tri-Band). Because speed tests are the only thing that matters in a network (sarcasm) you decide to run a speedtest.

The Note pulls a blazing 68Mbps download. The iPhone putters along at 5 or 6Mbps. So there must be something wrong with the iPhone right? I mean, they're both on Sprint, so shouldn't they get the same speeds? They both say LTE? What's the deal!!?!

iPhone users will be at a disadvantage and the average user might think something is wrong. LTE 800 doesn't fix any of that, it should have been Tri-Band. 

Apple tends to work like that; always has. They need the supply chain advantage to drive their margins. I'm sure the iPhone 6 will be a tri-band device, but Apple must not of had everything they needed for mass production of the 5S/5C at their price targets.

While news like this disappoints us folks in the know, John Q. Public doesn't know what band he's pulling his LTE from, nor does it influence his buying decision, and that's Apple's core business.

Right, but when John's speeds are a tenth of those with new android phones around him, he's going to wonder what's wrong.

Won't it be years before 2600 is deployed to the extent that 800 will be, though? 800Mhz LTE is simply a "flip the switch" rollout, whereas 2600 requires additional tower hardware, correct?

If that's the case, my area probably won't see 2600 support in the next few years anyway, so I could care less that the 5S and 5C don't support it. It sounds like there's a much better chance of running into 800Mhz in the next two years than 2600. 

At least both phones are dual-band LTE. 800Mhz LTE support was the deciding factor for me to be on board with a new iPhone this year, anyway. So I'm pleased!

LTE 800 is being rolled out with NV, correct? Or does that happen later?  How widespread is 2600 deployment?  

800 LTE is installed with NV, it will be turned on later this year.

25/2600 LTE is active already in at least 8 markets, and is actively being upgraded in many more.

Most WiMax markets will be live with 25/2600 LTE by this time next year, if not before. By then Sprint will be adding it to other markets as well.

It's 2500 not 2600 right?

It's both.

• Like 6

You know, those saying that it's OK to not have 2500 because it's not rolled out, and/or that the iPhone 6 next year will have it, are a bit off base.

You're forgetting that people buy phones on 2-year contracts. You're forgetting that there is a huge market for the "non-flagship" device. That, until September 20th, Sprint will still be selling the iPhone 4, a phone originally from 2010, launched 2011 on Sprint. There are people that will have the iPhone 4 until 2015. If this trend holds, and we sell the 5C/5S for 2 years, that means that we could have people buying them in the end of 2015, using them until 2017.

2017 is a long time to have to support devices that aren't forwards-compatible. It runs pretty counter to the idea of network modernization (and trying to do it as quickly as possible), especially with such a high selling device as the iPhone. It definitely matters, and is definitely disappointing.

Let me also point out that, by including the 4S as the "free" phone, we'll have devices unable to use 1XA on 800 SMR until 2017 as well. How fun.

• Like 13

Right, but when John's speeds are a tenth of those with new android phones around him, he's going to wonder what's wrong.

I already have that when I see other people's phones actually pulling data on other networks, regardless of device. :P

I'm still getting a 5S on Sprint after the first of October. And then next year I'll get the iPhone 6 when my upgrade comes up. I'll sell my 5 to subsidize the cost of the 5S. I'll be happy either way.

Sent from Josh's iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

• Like 2