FreedomPop - Now in tri-band LTE

iansltx

Yeah, I paid $150 for mine. It might be a supply/demand thing. It seems like they had quite a bit of interest in these.

Sprint would probably sell a lot more if they offered a lower plan than just 3GB. If they offered a 2GB for $20 just like Freedompop, I probably would've just went with Sprint. I know you can make your phone a hotspot for $20 but I don't like how all data used, even on your phone while the hotspot is active, counts toward the 2GB. 

• 7 months later...

This thread has been pretty dead. I thought I would revive it by saying my freedompop mifi 500 is still going strong. I use it a couple times per month with the rollover data and have plenty in reserve now. I think I currently have about 3.5 GB if I need it.

The LTE/3G plan with 500MB per month, along with the rollover costs me only $8 per month.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I've got an Overdrive and it works well for me.  My area has not got LTE as of yet, so it is good enough for now.  When the backhaul shows up in the four corners I might pull the trigger on the LTE Mifi, but will have to wait and see how they are priced in the future.  No point and spending very much on hardware for 500 MB/month.

Nothing yet on my Google Alerts, but any word of a triband USB stick?

I've not heard of anything like that from freedompop but I'm curious, why would you prefer that over a mifi?

I've not heard of anything like that from freedompop but I'm curious, why would you prefer that over a mifi?

I never want anyone's MiFi. Give it to me as USB, mPCI, mPCI-E, Ethernet, etc. That way I can more easily get it into my device of choosing instead of relying on their crappy routers and WiFi to do it. I'd purchase dozens of them if they had them available. I could probably move hundreds of them. They'd facilitate great OOB access to routers and other devices.

• Like 1

I never want anyone's MiFi. Give it to me as USB, mPCI, mPCI-E, Ethernet, etc. That way I can more easily get it into my device of choosing instead of relying on their crappy routers and WiFi to do it. I'd purchase dozens of them if they had them available. I could probably move hundreds of them. They'd facilitate great OOB access to routers and other devices.

I was just curious. I like the mifi so it can be used with my laptop or tablet. A USB stick doesn't work on the tablet. If all I had was a laptop though, I could see where it would be useful.

I was just curious. I like the mifi so it can be used with my laptop or tablet. A USB stick doesn't work on the tablet. If all I had was a laptop though, I could see where it would be useful.

or a router. ;-)

http://routerboard.com/CCR1036-8G-2SplusEM

http://routerboard.com/RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN

I prefer the Mifi because I can connect multiple devices at the same time. Not sure if this would  resolve your criticism but you can connect some Mifi's via usb.

I prefer the Mifi because I can connect multiple devices at the same time. Not sure if this would  resolve your criticism but you can connect some Mifi's via usb.

Naw, still using their poor featureset and the public IP isn't on the router itself.

FYI: I am not a typical user.

Some other nice routers to use that are less end-user friendly, but tons more capable from a wireless perspective.

http://routerboard.com/RB953GS-5HnT

http://routerboard.com/RB912UAG-5HPnD

Normally you can't, but the USB ports on these can be client or host, so you can console in or connect a USB modem.

Have any of you had success doing BYOSD with the MiFi 500?

I've got a feeler out to FreedomPop support's twitter account. If I hear something back, I'll let you know.

The cheapest Sprint plan is 3GB/mo, and that's way too much data for me & my family to use at any given time.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This sounds like a good deal but I do want to know why sprint is basically whoring out its LTE network to all of these MVNO companys so fast. Every other company only has a few while sprint has at least 10 of them and I can't help but think there network would be a little less burdened if they stopped doing this or just kept boost, virgin, and ting

Don't forget Republic Wireless.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Freedompop does not allow for hotspots to be BYOD. You can bring a phone in to their more generous plans but even if you buy the hotspot from them it is the basic 500 MB data plan for free. The Mifi is currently $169 on their site.